HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

pro-opt tips about the night before surgery pro-opt tips about the night before surgery

Unread 06-27-2002, 02:36 PM
pro-opt tips about the night before surgery

This has been the best site. I am scheduled for July 11th at noon(PT). I can't imagine having to wait that long without water or food from midnight on...I am thinking a late supper and staying up late so I can sleep in (which is difficult for me) any suggestions?
Thanks
jmac
( I have 2 of them)
Unread 06-27-2002, 04:17 PM
sleeping in...

I don't have my surgery time yet, but that is what I'm thinking if it's very late in the day. My thing will be not being able to drink anything. Gotta have coffee in the morning! The only snag in that plan though is what if I can't sleep? LOL Then I'm laying in bed, nothing to watch in the middle of the night, my stomach growling, my throat parched and wishing I could have a cigarette! Yuck! lol I guess we always have to sacrafice something to get another, so it's going to be a small price to pay. But, with any luck, God will know that I need my rest (my body AND my mind!) and will make sure I get some sleep.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes....

Gillian
Unread 06-27-2002, 05:43 PM

My gyn has ordered a 48 hour prep, only clear liquids and magnesium citrate at 12 noon the day before and 2 fleet enemas 2 hours before trip to castle. I am having TAH, bladder sling and retrocele repair. yuck yuck yuck...
Unread 06-27-2002, 05:44 PM

Ask your doctor if you might be able to have some sips of water in the early morning...might help.

And don't plan a late supper until you are sure on what your pre-op orders are....you have some restrictions on what goes in!!!

Hope all goes well...

Karen
Unread 06-27-2002, 08:14 PM

If you are afraid you won't sleep the night before, I would ask your doctor for something to help you sleep. I asked for that a few weeks ago already & I've been taking whenever I feel really stressed out at night. He gave me Ambien 10mg. I asked the nurse at the hospital in my pre-admission interview if it was ok to take the night before surgery & it was fine.

They also are going to let me take my Aciphex in the morning with a small sip of water before surgery to try & prevent me from getting nausea. I'm scheduled for surgery Monday, July 1 at 7:45am.

Becky
Unread 06-28-2002, 03:49 AM

I had my pre op yesterday and was told I could have a tiny sip of water with my blood pressure medicine,also I could brush my teeth but dont swallow any water...isnt that grand
Unread 06-28-2002, 08:08 AM

HI! Honey, I didn't even care if a saw food after surgery! It was the last thing on my mind. Before surgery it was suggested to have clear liquids the day before and nothing after midnight. Trust me the less you have in your tummy the better. Meds can make you sick after and you don't want to go there!
Unread 06-28-2002, 08:32 AM

I agree with the last post that the less you have in your tummy the day before surgery the better. I wouldn't do any big meals the day before. Check your orders because they usually don't recommed it anyway. I drank SO much water and ate lots of jello that I didn't even feel hungry because the water fills you up.
Unread 06-28-2002, 08:48 AM

Hi jmac,
I was told I just couldn't have anything after midnight but allowed a sip of water to take zantac the morning of surgery. Since your surgery is scheduled for 11 you should ask your dr. (not the pre-op nurse because I was given wrong information) if you can have a sip of water the morning of surgery and exactly what is the cut off time for liquids?

I had the thought of eating something before midnight to help with cravings but since I wasn't sure if I was going to get general or epidural anesthesia, I had a very light dinner the night before. I was told I could have normal diet but the last time I had general and I for three days and remembered that I didn't have any restriction of diet the night before. I think I ate a regular dinner. This time around I felt wonderful. I'm pretty sure it was because the anesthesiologist gave me zofran and I didn't have the general or pain pump after surgery to add possible nausea to the figure. The morophine or other pain meds given in the pain pump, epidural, or even orally can tend to stop you up with whatever is in there so make sure even if you do eat lightly that you ask for stool softeners. Dont' take any on your own. It helped me out greatly to have a head start with them in the hospital.

I had clear liquids the day of surgery once it was over and it helped with hunger. I don't think they will allow solids till the next day or when bowel sounds are heard. Ice chips were the first thing I had when I got to my room. I held them down so they offered me jello and soup later and it was sooo good.
Unread 06-28-2002, 11:15 AM

Thank you to who have replied.
This is such new territory for me as up until this spring the only surgery I had was my tonsils out in second grade. I am rethinking my "let's have a great big meal the night before" especially if there's a chance I could get sick. I see thedr for my pre-opt appointment on Wednesday so I am sure more will be outlined there.

jmac

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.