HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

vaginal vs. abdominal incision hysterectomy vaginal vs. abdominal incision hysterectomy

Unread 07-06-2002, 08:50 PM
vaginal vs. abdominal incision hysterectomy

Just curious about the opinions about each option, or the advantages of one over the other. My doc has offered me either approach. To avoid a big incision and more tissue and nerves cut, why doesn't everyone opt for a vaginal? Thanx! Lulu
Unread 07-06-2002, 09:11 PM
TAH coming up...

My doc decided on an abdominal hysterectomy because my uterus is so big (about four month size) and the fibroid is the size of a large orange. He told me he wouldn't even attempt a vaginal, so that's that. I don't really care one way or another, I had an open gallbladder surgery 19 years ago and after that anything is a piece of cake, IMHO! I think it will be a little more uncomfortable than a vaginal, but I'll be rid of this huge thing and I know I'll feel better in the long run, so it's worth it to me.
:thumbs up:
Unread 07-06-2002, 09:19 PM

Not everybody is a candidate for a vaginal hysterectomy. Two factors which would suggest an abdominal incision is the size of the uterus (over 12 weeks size) and if the person has not given birth.

Even the type of abdominal incision (bikini line vs up and down) can also depend on the reason for the surgery. I have always knew if I have surgery, it will be abdominal. I would surprise when I asked the doctor what type of incision and he motion up and down. This would give him a clearer view of everything inside. He saw how suprised I was - he told me he would not know what type of incision until he feels the uterus. I was hoping for bikini line but if the up and down incision provides a better view, that it ok'd.

I am sure other sisters will be answering about the pros and cons.
Unread 07-06-2002, 10:00 PM

I had a c-section 12 years ago so the thought of having a TAH was ok with me.
I had my TAH because of scar tissue and loads of adhesions and my doc felt it was better to do an abdominal. Some docs prefer this over vaginal. I was happy with the decision cuz I saw the pics on the pelvic floor site and personally didnt want my vaginal area messed with any more than taking my cervix out, from the inside like they did. I was scared sex wouldnt be the same after I healed if it had been vaginal.
They used the same scar area from my c-section. (bikini)
Unread 07-07-2002, 03:04 AM

The following is from a site called The Pelvic Floor. It is by a DR and shows pictures from actual surgeries, it is very graphic; I don’t want to offend anyone so I don’t include the link.
"It has to be made clear that the smallest or most inconspicuous incision, is NOT always the best. Unfortunately I can't explain here why that is, but trust me, its true. Or better yet, don't trust me at all; ask your own doctor...
It is important to note that NO abdominal muscles are usually cut. The rectus muscles are separated from one another, and spread apart, using the retractor. The bowel is then carefully packed upward and out of the surgical field, using swabs"

It appears that your DR doesn't have a preference. I had a TAH but my uterus was very enlarged, and it was a challenge for my DR to get it out via a bikini cut.
Unread 07-07-2002, 06:45 AM
abdominal vs. vaginal hysto

Good information. I didn't know any of this. Thanx. My uterus is described as very large - never told the exact dimensions, so I guess abdominal would be the best route, now that I am armed with this new info. Thanx Again!!! Lulu
Unread 07-07-2002, 07:52 AM

I asked about having this all done thru small cuts in my stomach...that was a NO GO.

I then asked about a "bikini" cut....that too was a NO GO. ((sigh))----oh well I don't wear 2 piece suits anyway!!!

He said he was going to have to do a vertical cut because my ovaries are too enlarged and the size of these tumors are too big, plus I think he wants to look around when he gets in there.

I saw on here where one of our sisters is having a little bit of a "tummy tuck" done as well......I plan to ask about that as well.

How much excess skin and fat can be removed with a vertical cut?? I will GLADLY take what he can do.......mine is all loose skin and just hangs.
Unread 07-07-2002, 11:37 AM

Hi,
I had hoped to have a vaginal hysterectomy because of the shorter recovery time. When I first consulted with this surgeon, he thought that would be possible, although challenging, because of the size of my uterus. He suggested I consider a lupron shot to shrink the fibroids, but I didn't want to do that. By the time I went for my pre-op appt, 3 months later, my fibroids had grown more. He told me I was borderline, even though he is apparently very skilled at removing uteruses through the vagina. On the morning of my surgery, he said that he'd thought about it and decided it would be best to go through my abdomen. One of my fibroids was sitting right on my cervix, and he was concerned about getting it out safely.

So I guess I didn't really have any choice! Although I was a little disappointed, I have to say that it was not nearly as big a deal as I had feared. I have a short bikini-line incision; I had no external stitches or staples, just little steri-strips; and the recovery was pretty much a breeze for me.
Unread 07-07-2002, 12:35 PM
vaginal vs. abdominal incision

Thanx all! Good information and lots to think about. Always, Lulu
Unread 07-07-2002, 09:47 PM
comparing surgery

I had a Vaginal hyst last year..
Had my ovaries/cyst/ and apendex out through a 6-7 inch incision (bikini cut) this year.
The vaginal hyst was ALOT more painful...
but it could just be me

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.