HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can the adhesions and scar tissue come back after having EVERYTHING removed??? Can the adhesions and scar tissue come back after having EVERYTHING removed???

Unread 07-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Can the adhesions and scar tissue come back after having EVERYTHING removed???

I had a TAH/BSO,... I had less than average bleeding during my surgery too so I was blessed. I had 6 separate diagnosises afterwards... Adenomyosis, adhesions (left side), huge vericose veins running through (left side), massive scar tissue (left side), a fibroidal cyst on my left ovary, and a nodgul forming on my right ovary.
I had horrific pain that had been getting worse and worse over the last 10 years in my left groin area,.. this accompanied all of the other problems over the years, and so on, but what anyway, since having my surgery ALL of the pains I had ever had (and they were constant),.... they're 100% GONE.
What my conscern is.... I know the Adenomyosis can't come back, nor any probs with my ovaries, cervix, etc. because it's all gone now (yah!!), but what about the adhesions and scar tissue? Can that stuff come back??? Anybody have experience with this? I'm going to ask my doc at my next appt. (6 wk.post), but that's not for another 3 weeks so I thought I'd test experience & thoughts regarding it here in the meantime. Thanks.
Unread 07-11-2002, 04:58 AM

Hi Tahnee,
I am having the same concerns and questions. I actually placed a post about it yesterday.Maybe you can find it and read my story. The subject line reads "no endo, no adeno, yes adhesions".
Anyway, I know that adhesions do grow back. That has been my problem. I have had numerous laps but mostly because they severed and artery during a lap about 6 years ago. I lost a lot of blood and it caused extensive adhesions and then of course pain. The way my dr. explained it to me was the there is less to stick to. In my case most things were stuck to my uterus which is basically centrally located........so with that gone......and considerably less pelvic activity because of no ovulation and menstruation...... pain should be less. I am praying that is the case for me and for you. Of course if you had minimal bleeding during the surgery then you should have minimal scarring. The dr. said that everyone gets adhesions form surgery but they can be livable. Like, women that have C-Sections.....they probably have some scarring but can funtion and not be in real pain from them.
You can email me at Mela14@aol.com if you'ld like to chat more.
Good luck to you,
Mel
Unread 07-11-2002, 11:55 AM

Hi Tahnee and Mela,
As much as I hate to say it, YES the scar tissue can come back which can also cause adhesions! It is terrible to worry about so don't unless you start having pain. Some scar tissue is normal and you may never know it is even there so I wouldn't let it bother you. I had my TAH and 3 months later had to go back in bc the scar tissue and adhesions were back with a vengence! However, my body reproduces scar tissue very fast (or so my doc said and apparently it is true). I hope that everything works out for you both and I hope I helped a little bit.
Janice
Unread 07-11-2002, 02:20 PM

Do you feel better since you had the scar tissue removed 3 months after your hysterectomy??? Did they go back in laporoscopically??
I know you said not to think about it too much but...........it IS a big concern for me. That's how all this started in the first place.
Hope you are feeling better.
Mel
Unread 07-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Scar tissue

Scar tissue and adhesions definitely can come back. BUT that doesn't necessarily mean more surgery.

I had 2 c-sections (22 and 17 yrs. ago), a tubal lap, and 4 yrs. ago a cyst removed abdominally. When my dr went in to do the cyst, he couldn't believe the scar tissue and that I didn't have any pain.

After that, every visit I got the same questions. Do you have pain during intercourse? Do you have pain with your periods? Are you bleeding heavily?

My answers were always No. I got so tired of hearing those questions.

I am 7 wks post TAH/BSO. My dr allowed extra time because he knew there would be scar tissue/adhesions. In addition to that alloted time, he took an EXTRA 1 1/2 hrs. because of scar tissue/adhesions. I HAD NO PAIN.

I asked him about scar tissue coming back again at my 6 wk check up and he said yes, it can come back but unless it causes pain, we don't worry about it.

Hope this helps put your minds at ease. Even with all the scar tissue and adhesions, the only reason I had the hyst was due to a 2 mo. long period that continued to get heavier daily with large clots caused from fibroids. NO PAIN!

If you would be more at ease, call your dr before you go back for your check up. That's what you're paying him the big bucks for!

Get well soon.

Kntry
Unread 07-11-2002, 05:52 PM
It's my major concern too!!!!

I was told that scar tissue usually forms within 7 days after surgery. I'm 5 weeks post op from a LAVH/BSO. This hyst was my 4th abdominal surgery in 3 years. I didn't have any pain from my 3rd surgery until 3 months afterwards. It turned out to be scar tissue. I'm thinking it may have formed within the 7 days but took longer to actually cause pain. My hyst was done in the "high tech" operating room so I got to see the pictures afterwards. My surgeon was the top of his field in my state and I was in the best hospital. His specialty is endo, adhesions and scar tissue. His "signature" way to prevent it is after everything is removed he coats the entire internal area with a gel. Infact he told me to not be surprised if I heard or felt a sloshyness for a few days. I didn't think at the time to ask him what, if anything, I could do to help prevent the scar tissue from coming back. I have my 6 week post op next Friday and I do have questions in regards to scar tissue reappearing. Through investigating scar tissue I have found that some women have very little scar tissue but it does cause alot of pain, where as other women can have alot of scar tissue with no pain. Let's pray that we can just continue to be pain free and enjoy having our lives back!!!!

Good luck to us all!!!
Patti
Unread 07-11-2002, 09:41 PM

Hi again. To answer your question if I felt better after my surgery....Yes and no. It was very hard on my body having 2 major surgeries within 3 mo. of each other. No, he could not do the lap and had to reopen my incision and add and inch to each side. He was going to try it that way so I had that incision too, but due to me only having 1 kidney he had to reopen me. When he started the lap he saw that my uretur(line from kidney to bladder) was plastered to my ovary he was trying to remove and it was covered with cysts. So he reopened me and packed me with a mesh to try to keep the scar tissue at bay for a little longer. I am having pain again and with my experience I am sure that's what it is. However, surgery will only cause more so....Don't have any advice there. Well I do wish you the best. Feel free to email me. I wouuld love to talk to you.
Take Care,
Janice
Unread 07-12-2002, 04:33 AM

OMG...reading all this is NOT very encouraging. I have had lots of adhesions and lots of pain. Each time they were removed more formed and more problems occurred. To think that I have a propensity to form adhesions and still be in pain is driving me insane. They DID NOT use any mesh or any gel with my surgery . I had asked my Dr. about it prior to my surgery and he said he didn't do that and didn't think that I needed it.
Well, boy was he surprised.
How long does it take to actually start to feel normal inside? I am still wearing a catheter because of bladder repair they had to do. It will come out and the 15 day mark which is Tuesday. I can't sneeze, cough or laugh real hard and I know it's because I am still healing. But when can I really start to tell if things will be OK????
Mel
Unread 07-12-2002, 04:43 AM

To PattiNH,
I would love to know what type of gel he used to prevent the adhesions. That was my biggest concern and I am having a rough time emotionally right now. You said that you are almost 6 weeks post-op....do you think that the adhesions will not return??
I had lots of adhesions and lot of pain in so many different areas. Pain after bowel movements, voiding my bladder and intercourse to name a few. so, I was not one of the lucky few to have adhesions and NOT have pain.
Thanks,
Mel
Unread 07-12-2002, 05:14 AM

Ok - this is probably a silly question - but for those that have dealt with it, what are symptoms of adhesions and scar tissue - besides pain? I mean, what kind of pain are we talking about - constant dull aching pain, inconsistent sharp pains, shooting pains? I've had 2 c-sections 1 lap and my TAH/BSO so fell that I'm ripe for adhesions and scar tissue - but want to know what to look for before calling doctor. (For the record, I'm NOT having pain now, but I'm asking for future reference.)

Thanks all!

Hugs,

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.