HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Low Estrogen and Hidradenitis Suppurativa (boils) Low Estrogen and Hidradenitis Suppurativa (boils)

Unread 07-20-2002, 08:01 PM
Low Estrogen and Hidradenitis Suppurativa (boils)

This is somewhat embarrasing....

For several years I have been having boils that appear on and off in the axillas (arm pits) or the pubic and genital area.
I had been tested for a variety of diseases and doctors end up saying that they are just ingrown hairs which produce these boils and that they go away.
Yes they do, but they tend to recur every 2 to 6 months and they are very painful.

Hidradenitis Suppurativa or acne inversa are boils that get infected, when the hair follicle clogs up. And even though they can appear in men, it is more prevalent in women, specially the ones that occur in the groin or pubic areas.

Right before my second surgery for RSO on June 26, another one showed up. I mentioned it to my gyn. since I have not had one in a few months, and I was given a course or antibiotics (tetracycline) which doesn't seem to be working.

I never related them to my menstrual problems and that is the reason why I am bringing it to this forum.
After doing some investigation on the matter I found out that not only it is the occlusion of hair follicles where the apocrine glands reside which produce this painful absesses, but there is also a hormonal theory in which:

.....improvement and relapse after pregnancy and contraceptive pill intake suggest that low levels of estrogens predispose to hidradenitis suppurativa....

.....this condition often flares in women with menses....

....A premenstrual flare in disease activity was reported ....

....a patient with hidradenitis suppurativa with premenstrual exacerbations, who was treated successfully with total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy combined with estrogen substitution.....

So, my question is:

Have you heard of this before?

Dasha

Now I have one ovary left, and I am not sure it is working.
I was put on an estradiol patch of 0.05 mg for hot flashes, which is very small dose because of underlying depression (I was just changed to Effexor and Trileptol), and don't want to exacerbate the mood changes.

LSH on May 22 because of pain and continous bleeding; found out during surgery I had endo, fibroid, and adeno.; nothing showed in any previous exams and tests.
RSO on June 26 because of very painful hemorrhaging burst corpus luteum cyst.
Unread 07-22-2002, 07:09 PM

Hi Dasha and welcome!
I spoke to a friend the other night and she has suspected endo and also has low thyroid for which she takes thyroid hormone. She's also perimenopausal. So she's in a bit of hormone turmoil right now with the waxing and waning of her ovaries and she is having problems with boils:hair:
I haven't heard anyone mention those boils here though but from another board I know that they are not uncommon in some women.
Endo is believed to have an immune connection (they aren't sure what) so it's possible that you do have a slight problem with immunity when your estrogen gets low. I'd go and get some tests done to see how that remaining ovary is working. If your estrogen is down then it could predispose you to something like boils, estrogen is an immune booster. Good luck!
Unread 07-22-2002, 09:46 PM

I don't have anything to add about the connection between the boils and hormones, but did have a bad spell with them several years ago when I was under a lot of stress and my immune system was suffering.

Phisoderm soap and vitamin C helped clear it up and I had no more recurrences.
Unread 04-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Hidradenitis Suppurativa (Boils) & Testosterone?

I came across the term Hidradenitis Suppurativa and it seewms to fit the boil that I have underneath my breast, I wondered if it might be related to too much testosterone. I am using 1/8 tsp of naturally micronized testosterone cream 2.5 mg/gm concentration as well as esclim patch .05. My skin is not at all oily, although on and off I get tiny red spots on one cheek. These do not get larger or sore. Occassionally they itch, but mostly they just go away.
Unread 10-31-2003, 06:51 AM
Hidradenitis Suppurativa

I suffer from HS.... I had it before my total hysterectomy in June 2003, and I STILL Have them now.

I had hormones before the surgery, now I don't (estrogen)... there has been no change for me anyways.

Laura
Unread 10-31-2003, 07:55 PM

I have been getting these "boils"over the last 5 years. They appear in the groin....just where the elastic of my panties hits! Very painful! I get around by bicycle or motorcycle everyday and thought it was due to that. I vaguely remember that they would appear just before my periods.

One appeared just days before my surgery and was very uncomfortable and annoying post-op! It tried to keep it dry with clotrimazole powder and it gradually went away.

It is confusing....I discovered that I had fibroids about 6 years ago, and I was told that they feed and grow on estrogen...so I always assumed that I was estrogen dominant.
But looking back over the last few years, knowing now what i have learned from this site and my own body post-op.... I realise that I had symptoms of low estrogen...insomnia...hot flashes...ocular migraines...vaginal atrophy...and now possibly Hidradenitis....

Even though I had surgery NOT because of the fibroids, but because my ovary twisted itself and cut off its own blood supply (gangrene!) due to an inflammation in the fallopian tube, makes me wonder how come I had fibroids in the first place if the symptoms indicated I was low on estrogen???!!!

Can anybody out there answer that?

I am more than 4 months post-op ( I lost track of how many weeks exactly!) and I havent had any more boils. (I am using 1.5mg Estragel and 20mg progesterone transdermally).
Wonders never cease!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.