HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Swollen area between vagina and rectum Swollen area between vagina and rectum

Unread 07-21-2002, 10:39 AM
Swollen area between vagina and rectum

I had surgery on 7/12/02 a TVH and a birch procedure. I am havng a problem with a swollen area between the rectum and vaging, closer to the vagina. On Wed. I started bleeding so went to the emer. room. Thought it was from the swollen area about the size of a quarter. Thought it might be a cyst or an abcess. Emer doc said the bump, swollen area was from the inside stiches. The bleeding was from the vaginal cuff. Still bleeding to this day, like a period. Swollen area has greatly increased in size and tender to the touch. No fever. Hard to sit at all. Otherwise feeling good. I am wondering what this is, if any one had a similar problem. Will call my regular doc again tomorrow. Thanks for any help you can give me. Will post my castle strory when able to sit long enough.

Unread 07-21-2002, 11:18 AM

Hi Linda, you are still early in your recovery. I had similar surgery in February and remember having that awful swollen feeling for a while. I had discharge for a few weeks too. Still, yours sounds like more swelling than I had. Do remember that you have hundreds of stitches in there and the area is likely very "angry". Still I'd recommend going in to see your regular DR. Also do you have a donut pillow? That can help a lot since it would take pressure off of that area.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
s,
-Linda
Unread 07-21-2002, 11:28 AM

I would definitely call your doctor first thing tomorrow morning. I was told if your bleeding like a period to call the doctor. Also, your swelling doesn't sound normal. I'm sure your doctor will recognize right away what it is since he is more experienced in this surgery. I had to call the doctor several times after my surgery and had to go in twice. My incision was leaking blood and it was infected.

Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck. Let us know how it is going.

Unread 07-21-2002, 12:08 PM

I have been bleeding like a period since about 10 days post-op..am now at 6 weeks. I saw my dr the other day. He checked everything internally and said all is well as far as stitches, but he saw the blood and did a culture. He found that I have a bacterial infection and put me on antibiotics. I'm hoping like crazy that it clears up now. I know how frightening and frustrating it is to see blood that you never thought you'd see again . But calling your dr is the best thing for you to do..with any problems you are having. Good luck!

Robin
________________________________________________-
TAH,BSO including ovaries;adenomyosis; fibroids; severe anemia
Unread 07-22-2002, 08:53 AM
swollen area

Hi Linda,
I had exactly the same thing. It was from the episiotomy they sometimes do with a TVH. I couldn't sit and I was really scared about all that swelling. I saw a GP (not my own) and he explained it was an episiotomy. I was horrified because I wasn't aware they were going to do this and nobody told me afterwards that it was done. I guess I was too small vaginally for all the 'tools' to fit in during surgery. If I'd have known before surgery, I would have told him to do a LTVH. But, it happened and I couldn't sit for weeks. I'm 6 weeks post op now and the area is healed and fine. It did get infected a little, so it's really important to keep that area clean. I would call the doctor or nurse and have them get the surgical notes to find out if you had the episiotomy. If you did, they may recommend sits baths. That helped me alot. I know they say baths are bad, but not if you had the epi, apparently, this is the occasion you do get the baths. It's more the TAH that you can't bathe with. Anyway, call the doc, get the info, and take care of yourself. It helps to sit with one of those donut things, or on really cushy chairs, a pillow, or something. I have a lawn chair with a strap missing right in that spot, I sat on that constantly. Try not to sit on anything hard. My sister also told me to use a little squirt bottle with warm water and rinse the area after you go poddy, that helped alot too. Hope this all helps. It'll help a great deal if you can find out what they may have done to this area during surgery. Good luck and take care, and rest!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.