HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Is there an estrogen/progesterone patch? Is there an estrogen/progesterone patch?

Unread 07-23-2002, 03:56 PM
Is there an estrogen/progesterone patch?

Lovely Jungle-dwelling Ladies:

I want to switch to transdermal HRT, but my prescription insurance will NOT pay for compounded hormone cream. My DH is a pharmacist for the large pharmacy chain which provides our prescription insurance, and he's positive: they won't pay for meds which are not specifically approved by the FDA, and compounded hormone cream isn't approved. We'd prefer not to pay for it ourselves.

Is there a patch that delivers both estrogen and progesterone?

I've been taking estrace (generic) 1 mg/day and prometrium 100 mg/ day, and I'm doing well with that, but with the recently released studies, I'd prefer not to take my HRT orally anymore.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Helen
Unread 07-23-2002, 04:06 PM
Is there an estrogen/progesterone patch?

Helen,
As far as I know there is not an estrogen/progesterone patch. There is an estrogen/progestin patch, but that is not bio-identical.

I think the only progesterone that is available from a regular pharmacy is the prometrium that you are taking.

Perhaps you could try again with your insurance company. I had to go thru alot of red tape but eventually got the compounded hormones covered. In the beginning I had to pay for them upfront and than submit for reimbursement. My company has since switched prescription carriers and now they will reimburse my pharmacist directly so I only have to pay my $10 co-pay. My pharmacist did have to fill out a few forms to register with them, but she was more than happy to do so.

My pharmacist was also very helpful when it came to talking with the insurance company. I think the problem is something with what is called a NDC number. Most of prescription meds have this NDC number while compounded hormones do not. Thus the confusion.

Perhaps if you found a nice helpful compounding pharmacist in your area he/she would be willing to help with your insurance company. This site www.iacprx.org has a pharmacy locator.

I'm sorry for going on and on, but it really makes me mad when I hear that insurance companies will not reimburse for the compounded hormones. They are prescription medications just like Premarin, Estrace, prometrium, etc.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.