HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 07-28-2002, 07:15 PM
Heart Palps?

I have been on hormones for about 18 months now. I started
with the v-patch then added progesterone because of
heart palps and other symptoms. With all the talk of "the"
study, I'm really considering getting off the hormones all
together. I have two questions:

1. Anyone with heart palps, go off of the hormones and
no longer experience them? (I didn't have them before
my surgery).

2. Can you just stop taking them altogether?

Thanks alot for your input. By the way, I've been doing pretty
good with the hormones, but would like to get off of them
due to all of the reports lately. I'm 52 years old.

thanks
patti
Unread 07-28-2002, 08:53 PM
Heart Palps?

Hi Patti and welcome to the desert

I also had the same thing started in the castle..... Panic attacks.....anxiety..... Heart palps seem to be what many sisters have or had..... I was given every test under the sun to make sure all was ok........ And then was put on zanax for awhile....... I seem not to get them to much anymore as I get further in recovery.... I also take a mild antidepressant to keep me balanced and handle things better........

Have you talked with your DR... And are you on any meds?????

I think most ladys just stop.... But please talk to your DR I really want you to make a safe choice ....

Hopr this helped a bit???

s

SIS
Unread 07-29-2002, 11:26 AM
Heart Palps?

Thanks for the info, Sis!!!

I too was checked out, cuz I thought I had heart trouble.
They put me on the monitor for 24 hours. I was beginning
to worry, cuz up until the last hour on it, I didn't have any
palps. However, they too ruled out any problems.

I'm not on any other meds other than my hormones. I am
a little nervous getting off "cold turkey", but I do plan on
contacting my dr. She's on hormones, too!!! So, very
understanding.

Thanks again for the help
Patti
Unread 07-29-2002, 07:08 PM
Boy do I have a palp & hormone story!

Hi everybody!

I had to reply with my hormone experience and palpitations, because no one - not even the most experienced Mayo Clinic{{male}} doctor, will EVER convince me that there isn't a connection. My experience dates all the way back to childbirth in 1987 ...

I began having palpitations .. determined to be PVCs ... about four months after my son was born. Needless to say, I thought I was dying, and having just given birth I was determined to live. I wore the Holter monitor and had every test under the sun to find a cause. Nothing! I quit smoking, I gave up all caffeine, tried to be a calm "new mom" ... gradually they lessened, but never went away completely. I started back on birth control pills after weaning my son. The palps continued to a distressing degree and I was put on Corgard (a beta blocker) to slow the heart rate so it would be less inclined to mis-fire. I had terrible nightmares. They switched me to Tenormin, another beta-blocker. I took that for a year; didn't have too much trouble - other than my heart rate went down to around 40 when I was asleep - coma!

About a year went by and my husband and I decided we were done with children, so he had a vasectomy. After he was given the all clear, I stopped taking birth control pills. Imagine .... six weeks later I was off of beta-blockers, too! My palpitations have never completely gone away, but at that time they diminished considerably and I was able to function normally. I began to really think about the times that I had them so severely in comparison to when they were mild.

My palps started when I was weaning my son from breast-feeding. They diminished when we were all through. They got crazy again when I began taking birth control and stayed that way. When I stopped taking birth control, they diminished again.
I continued to monitor them for years and keep a journal - they would become troublesome a week or so before my period, then subside. Troublesome again the last day or two of my period. Several years later and into a different marriage, it was time for birth control again. I chose the progestin-only Norplant. No increase in palps!

Fast forward to 1999 ... perimenopause starts in (even though I was only 34). Hot flashes all of the time, night sweats, and palps all of the time that were now a combination of PVCs and PACs - so I thought I was losing my mind and my life again! Pelvic pain, pain with intercourse, never an easy period, couldn't walk through the mall without feeling like my insides were going to explode. I eventually went into panic attacks because the palps were so bad. More heart monitoring, more cardiac work-ups, I passed out while running on the treadmill .... it goes on and on. I finally was put on Paxil (which ceased the panic attacks, and gave me 15 more pounds), but the palps continued. After so many months of pain, I asked my gyn to find out what was going on. I had a lap, found out my uterus was literally rotting from the inside out with adenomyosis, and scheduled a hyst, ovaries also. My uterus had calcified polyps inside and my ovaries were nothing but cystic follicles - no one really knows what they were producing, or when. They started me on Premarin immediately following surgery. I stopped the Paxil a month or two after surgery because I had already gained so much weight with it, and didn't have panic anymore. I have since decreased my Premarin dosage to .9 from 1.25 because of additional weight gain, but guess what? I have fewer palps today than ever - in over fifteen years!

Now - I don't believe that it is just estrogen - I believe that palps are connected to an imbalance of it. I want to go off of Premarin for many reasons now, and I really think that I will be fine when I do - but I think the constant fluctuation of that hormone in a body that is sensitive to it is directly connected to the incidence of palps in many of us. My gyn has agreed with me on that as well. Now, in my case they have never gone away completely - and perhaps never will. But, they are definitely livable when the estrogen is not there, or at least not fluctuating. I had pre-eclampsia at the end of my pregnancy, and it is suspected that my heart mis-fires due to the extremely high blood pressure I experienced at the end - combined with that common floppy heart valve (MVP).

All of us are different, yes. However, as I said, no one will ever be able to convince me that palps aren't connected to fluctuating estrogen.

Sorry this was so long - but it just strikes a chord to hear that other women have this problem. I am not alone after all!

Sharon!
Unread 07-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Heart Palps?

Wow, Sharon, that's quite a story!!!!

Thanks alot for posting!!! You sure have been through alot.

I pray you will continue to do better. I too believe the heart
palps are from Estrogen. That's another reason why I really
would like to get off of them. It wasn't until they added
progesterone that I noticed my palps taper off. However, you
know what they say about progesterone. It helps to
"regulate" the estrogen. I definately think you are right on!!!

I am going to call my Dr. and get the okay from "her" and hopefully be sticking around the "no-Hormone Desert" from
now on.

Thanks again. You were quite helpful.

Patti
Unread 07-29-2002, 11:48 PM
Heart Palps?

Hi Patti....Hi sharon..s

Sharon thankyou so much for sharing your story... I thInk you may be right........Mine also are not gone ... But much better then before... I feel as my body adjust I think the palps get better.......I do also find that when I get stressed the pounding starts..... I then go up to my room and just chill......I tried cuting down on my black cohosh and WOW!!! was that a big mistake for me... So I went back to what the DR told me to take and feel better....

Patti-so glad you are going to call the DR ... please let us know how your coming along..OK??

s.....SIS
Unread 08-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Heart Palps?

Patti,
I had heart palps during peri-menopause, after menopause (I'm 51) and all the while I've been on HRT about 1-1/2 years). Due to nearly non-stop bleeding for the last seven months, I've totally gone off all HRT to find if that's the cause. I stopped cold just seven days ago. No palps yet but maybe it's too soon?

I'd check with your doctor about just stopping the HRT but I was so frustrated after 10 months of my doctor trying one precscription after another, I decided "I'll do it myyyyyyy way...."

Did you make your decision as to whether you're going off HRT? Hope you're doing well!

Mary
Unread 08-08-2002, 06:37 AM
Heart Palps?

Mary,

As of yet, I've not gotten off. I have stretched the time between
changing the patch, and I can tell by the time I'm to change it,
I start getting the palps. I still want to get off, but some of
the palps are pretty intense. I had (3) yesterday. My palps
started way after my surgery. They got pretty heavy until I
added the progesterone to my regimen. Don't think they are
from the estrogen, but don't know for sure. I still plan on
contacting my Dr., but haven't as of yet.

Thanks for asking. I pray your palps don't return.

Patti
Unread 08-08-2002, 02:44 PM
Heart Palps?

Hi Ladys...s to all

Patti... Let us know how things are coming along for you....I think the palps are from the lack of what our body is use to......I have read sooo many sisters that go through this.... But glad to hear all your test came out fine.....

Can you maybe call the DR and ask for something to help you....I did take zanax for a few months, Only when I felt I needed it...... And as time went on and my body adjust... it seems to get less and less..... Just thought I would share from my own experience

s
Unread 01-20-2004, 10:44 PM
HEART PALPITATIONS

I know this subject was talked about a while ago. But many of you suggested that you think estrogen was causing the palpitatioins. I on the other hand think a lack of estrogen is causing my palpitations. I had a complete hysterectomy including ovaries in Feb 2000. I went directly on Climara.5 no progesterine because I was told I had no uterus or cervix so didn't need progestering and have never taken it to this day. In October 2003 I stopped taking estrogen and haven't had any since but for the last 3 or so weeks I have had heart palps every second day or so and they last for it seems the whole day and night. Sometimes not as hard or fast. I am going tomorrow to have a holter monitor for 24 hours and Feb 12, I go for a echocardiagram. I have a new doc and she want s to rule out heart problems. I had thyroid done and a stress test done - all fine. I have suffered with palpitations when I was 30 (I am 51). Went through all the test and nothing. I tryed to relax more and do the breathing exercises and quit anything with caffiene or any kind of stimulant. And I found I was under control until now and the only thing I have changed is estrogen. So have any of you experience palpitations after stopping estrogen. I have heard so many great things about Natural Progesterine and its benefits. I am thinking I will start on that - anyone have any info on this?
I have to say this site was a God send before I had my hysterectomy and I stop in here every now and then now too. Thank you for this site. I have told many other troubled Princesses and Queens about this site too. Hope to hear from some of you and again be blessed with some great advice.
Elle.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.