HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Estrogen Dominance Estrogen Dominance

Unread 07-30-2002, 11:55 AM
Estrogen Dominance

Hello ladies,
My Mom just had her hormone levels tested. All were in normal range except estrogen. She tested 3 TIMES higher than the recommended levels. She has been on premarin then cenestin for over 17 years. She was saying that she needed to up her dosage on her hormones because she just isn't feeling right. She is 53 and I think she should be weaned off the estrogen over time. She has also had gall bladder removal and open heart surgery. She suffers with high cholesterol which she takes TWO meds for. I can't help but wonder if over time, the estrogen may have caused these other health problems.

Does anyone know of a good link concerning estrogen dominance? I would like her to be educated before she has her DR's appt.

Thank you!
Unread 07-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Estrogen Dominance

Tracy:

Certainly oral estrogens can cause both GB problems and interfere with cholesterol metabolism. Also, since your mom has probably not taken progesterone, this estrogen has built up, unopposed.

Many of the links I found referred into Dr. Lee's various websites. However, I also found this link on Dr. Christiane Nortrup's website: Estrogen dominance . I didn't have time to read the whole thing, but everything points to progesterone deficiency.

When your mom had her hyst (it was quite a while ago, wasn't it?) women were not given progesterone because it was felt that the only benefit was to protect endometrium against cancer, and since post-hyst there's no endometrium to protect, no progesterone was given. But as you and I both know, the body uses progesterone in a number of different ways, and I would certainly urge your mom to ask about it!

Good luck to her...

Audrey
Unread 07-30-2002, 01:02 PM
Thank you Audrey

The strange thing about my Mom's hormone testing is that her testosterone and progesterone levels were within normal range. As were her FHS and DHEA. Thank you for the link. My Mom is terrified about being weaned from and then taken off of her estrogen. I told her to look at how well I was doing. She IS amazed at how well I am doing,,,,,so am I. <keeping fingers crossed>

Did you open your HRT yet? How are you doing??? I hope I have the right Audrey!
Unread 07-30-2002, 01:31 PM
You do indeed...

I did open and even applied my new Vivelle Dot .0375...I just haven't had time to post about it!

My hot flashes have almost completely disappeared. The dry eye thing is improved, but I had an allergic reaction to the eyedrops my eye doc suggested so my eyelids are still very swollen .

I have a whole essay in my head about the process that I went through in putting the patch on, plus the fact that I fumbled the first one, dropping it on the floor sticky side down . You should have seen me trying to get the little dust particles off without actually touching the patch (which isn't real big to begin with)! I was laughing so hard about the universe's response to my ambivalence that I almost had to blow off that patch and throw it away. My DH was highly amused...

But I haven't had the time or energy to actually sit down and write that thread, and I promise not to hijack yours here any longer.

BTW, just b/c your mom's progesterone and testosterone levels are "normal" doesn't mean that they're balanced relative to the estrogen level! Just a thought. I'm with you, though, I'll just bet she feels better soon...

Thanks for thinking of me!

Audrey
Unread 07-30-2002, 01:34 PM
You crack me up!

:biggrin:

I can just picture what you went through! Can't wait to read your post on how it went for you. Good luck and please let us know how you continue to do! I may be following in your foot steps at some point down the road, but I hope not! Only time will tell.
Unread 08-01-2002, 01:26 PM
Estrogen Dominance

Hi all,

It's good to see this section. I am suspecting that I am way estrogen dominant but I have not been able to convince my Dr's to do hormone testing. I am going in on Monday to my new Dr. and plan on asking again and about moving surgery up sooner than he wanted. I am currently on my 3rd month of Lupron and my symptoms keep getting worse instead of better.

I was told that Hormone Testing doesn't tell much because the hormones change hourly (like weight). Actually I think the nurses words were "why the hell would you want to do that?"

I changed Dr's soon after that. ANd the excuse still doesn't ring true.

Any experience here with asking for hormone testing? Am I the only person who seems to always get the shaft from medical personnel?

Hippo

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.