HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Complex hyperplasia with atypia--for JoAnn Bakos Complex hyperplasia with atypia--for JoAnn Bakos

Unread 07-15-2000, 09:40 PM
Complex hyperplasia with atypia--for JoAnn Bakos

Hi, JoAnn,
I saw that you posted this at the bottom of the dictionary thread and wanted to bring this up so you could some more direct responses.

Quote:
Complex hyperplasia with atypia
Maybe someone can tell me if they had it and what course
of treatment was taken. I'm in my early 50's and my doctor
recommends a hysterectomy. How soon should this be done?
What type TVH(Vaginal) or TAH(Abdominal)? I was taken
totally by surprise by this diagnosis. Any info will be
appreciated. Thanks, JoAnn

I know how stunning the diagnosis coming out of the blue can be. Happened for me too. If you do a search (there's a little icon to the top right of the boards, along with the profile icon etc.), you can also find some earlier threads I think where people have talked about their experiences. I'm glad you've found us, {{{JoAnn}}}

Unread 07-16-2000, 09:14 PM

Hi Joanne-
I also was diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with atypia with hysterectomy recommended. I did massive amounts of research and found that once this condidtion moves to atypical, there is a 25% chance of it becoming malignant. Should a person be more than 20% overweight (technicaly obese) the chances go to 60% risk of cancer.
The agreement between me and my doctor was that if during surgery, and frozen sections, they found cancer - he would do complete hyst - otherwise would limit to partial or supracervical -- leaving the ovaries and cervix. This is what I had (abdominally)last March. The surgery was not really bad and I was in hospital for 4 days and up and about very quickly.

However, further pathology showed that indeed, I did have stage-1 endometrial cancer (adenocarinoma) with invasion less than half way through uterine wall.

I wish I hadn't waited that 1.5 years before I had the surgery. Although they say I do not need further treatment i.e. radiation, etc. I'm glad I kept ovaries - there is nothing wrong with them and I firmly believe that we should keep whatever parts are not diseased since they have such profound effects on our systems.

Good lusk with your situation - but don't take too long to decide next steps. Hugs, Marge

Unread 07-16-2000, 09:53 PM

Hi Joanne,

I have been diagnosed with recurring Hyperplasia for over 7 years. I have had occasions of complex to simple with and without atypia. I, too, was still taken by surprise when my doctor recommended a total abdominal hysterectomy even through it had been previously mentioned and discussed.
It must have been shocking for you who have just received this diagnosis. It is surprising that with all the informtion on menopause and the hormonal changes of it, no one cautions women about the increased risk of uterine cancer.

I know this must be a difficult time for you, because even doctors don't necessarily explain all the terms. There is a lot of good information on this site and in other sites. My best wishes and prayers go out to you.
Unread 07-18-2000, 01:39 AM
Complex Atypical Endometrial Hyerplasia

Jo Ann,
I also was diagnosed with atypical hyperplasia. My problems started in December with heavy periods and clotting. I started with my family practice doctor who suggested if the problem happened again that I should see a gyn and may need a D&C. The problem happened again in January and February. I saw a gyn in February right before my vacation to Florida (I live in Ohio), had Ultrasounds (both types) in March, had a D&C in April and then the doc said I needed a hysterectomy. I went for a second opinion and really liked the second doctor a lot better. He explained everything to me, said that "atypia" was the key word and that I should have the hysterectomy. I decided to change doctors because he was more caring (bedside manner I guess) than the first gyn. I had early stage uterine cancer also (Stage Ia), but it is "cured" when the uterus is removed. Also, as a result of the surgery, my doctor found that both of my ovaries had tumors. I had a TAH/BSO and now feel great. My surgery was 6/2. If your doc says you need a hysterectomy, don't wait. They don't know how long it takes for atypical hyperplasia to turn to cancer. I wish you well. As everyone here has said, "The wait is worse than the surgery." You will have some pain early, but it is taken care of by pain medication. I had percocet as soon as I was able to sip water -- the same afternoon as my surgery when I returned to my room.
Take care and let us know how you are doing. These ladies are wonderful and they brought me through with a lot of info pre-op. I knew almost exactly what to expect in the hospital.
Unread 07-22-2000, 10:13 PM
Complex hyperplasia with atypia

Hi JoAnn, I was also just diagnosed as having complex hyperplasia with atypia and it was totally out of the blue! I had gone for a routine check-up with a new gynecologist who did a biopsy after I mentioned how irregular my periods were (and had been for the past 20-odd years). I had NO other complaints. I was stunned by the diagnosis and recommendation for a hysterectomy. Having explained the alternatives to me, both the gynecologist and oncologist recommend surgery. My mind accepts that recommendation, but my insides . . . Somehow I feel that if I was in pain (I mean, not that I want to be in pain) or didn't feel well, it would be easier to accept. I have to see the oncologist again this week and the surgery is scheduled for the first week in August. Happily, I somehow found this site just after I was diagnosed and even though I just read the posts, I felt less alone. Thanks, everyone.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.