HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chelsea00's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story Chelsea00's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Unread 03-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Chelsea00's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Chelsea00's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Abdominal Hysterectomy
Age at Surgery 43

I had a tumor in my right ovary. I never had any pain. I did get a 2nd opinion and was told that I needed to have a hysterectomy because of the immediate threat (possible cancer), my age, and because I never wanted to have children. Fast forward 15 years and I just had a lumpectomy as I was recently (Jan 2017) diagnosed with DCIS (Ductile Carcinoma in Situ) first stage breast cancer in my left breast. I should also note that I have been on hormones since I was 19 and am now about to turn 58. I know - a Very Long time! I tried (unsuccessfully) to get off of them a few times over the years, but I just feel better when I take them - considerably better. Anyway, I had to immediately stop taking my Premarin cold turkey (January 5th to be exact) and it has been quite the nightmare! At first it didn't seem too bad, but it continues to get worse and worse. My hot flashes are really bad. Sometimes they can last hours at a time and/or throughout the night off and on - needless to say, not much sleep. Has anyone else experienced this when stopping cold turkey and, if so, is there any relief in sight? I'm also battling hereditary high blood pressure and numerous medications.

Initially they were only going to remove my right ovary, however (due to the reasons above), they decided to go ahead and do a complete abdominal hysterectomy while I was knocked out (much to my surprise). When I woke up I was stunned to find out. Back then (2002) they used morphine which I found out that I was allergic too (just awful). I had to stay in the hospital 3 days. That was a long time ago now and I actually recovered pretty quickly, but my body was never the same as before.

Because I was otherwise healthy, I recovered very quickly physically. Psychologically was another issue. My libido drastically changed immediately (NOT in a good way) and never was the same. I was very afraid that I had suddenly become a "UNIC" and did not feel like a whole woman anymore. It took me a long time to get past feeling that way, but I finally came to terms with it.

I've always tried to be a healthy person and the older I get the more health conscious I've become. No, I never would have chosen to have a hysterectomy on my own - only because my ovary was diseased did it ever become an issue. I had actually already started having pre-menopausal symptoms in my early 40's.

In my case there was only ONE good thing about having the surgery - immediate cessation of my period!!!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register