HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Flabby stomach not swelly belly Flabby stomach not swelly belly

Unread 08-16-2002, 05:14 AM
Flabby stomach not swelly belly

Hi ladies,

I'm now 12 weeks post-hyst and feeling really good. I've climbed back on my inclined treadmill and am above 30 minutes working towards 45.

But my stomach shows no signs of deflating! I'm not overweight, although I would like to lose the proverbial 10 pounds. I am pretty well toned everywhere but the stomach. It seems to gain two inches during the day, but that's been constant since the surgery (and before), doesn't seem to be caused by overdoing.

Is it still swelly belly? Are my stomach muscles just loose from the surgery? Is the estrogen I am taking for the first time causing weight gain?

Have I not given it enough time? I saw a post on the post-op board that suggested the estrogen and stomach muscles do not settle down until 6 months?

I don't want to spend any time trying to develop my abdominal muscles, I just want my stomach to go down.

My current plan is to continue on the treadmill for another 6 weeks or so, until the beginning of October and then reassess. But I'm curious to see if others are able to distinguish between flabby stomach and swelly belly, and also how long I should give myself on this.

Pellice
SAH/BSO
Unread 08-16-2002, 07:01 AM
me too!

Hi Pellice,

Good question, I was wondering the very same thing this morning. I DO have weight to lose but have already lost 20 or more lbs and I don't think my belly has shrunk at all. The rest of me has shown a loss, but not the belly. I was wondering if the next 20 lbs would shrink it away, or if it would maintain the surgery-related inflation for a while (or forever?). I do intend to incorporate now that I feel like my abs are ready for them again, unfortunately I am an apple-shaped person and so I fear I'm doomed to wear this belly forever.

Good luck to you!

Desk
Unread 08-20-2002, 07:49 AM

Hello everyone

I haven't posted here for a while, but when I saw this topic, I couldn't resist writing, because I've been wondering the same thing!

I had a TAH/BSO in mid-May of this year. I've been very active now--running 3-4 miles and doing 100-200 ab exercises each day. I've lost weight, but definitely still have the roll of flab from slightly above my belly button to my incision. It is really discouraging! I was contemplating calling my doc's office just to ask about it, but I felt a little silly!

I did find out that my uterus was a 20 week size, filled with fibroids, some big as 10 cm. So I'm kind of thinking that it's as if I delivered another baby and it might take 9 months to recover from that.

Hopefully someone will write in with words of encouragement! I don't know what else to do at this point to get rid of this thing!
Unread 08-20-2002, 08:56 AM

Sheesh, CMCM, It sure seems that all those abdominals ought to be producing results. I'm definitely not starting any regimen on them until I see they're working for you. Still, you must be feeling great! I had the same size uterus, covered with fibroids, and I was anemic as well. The anemia is almost back to normal, and the cenestin compounded estrogen I'm taking seems to agree with me. How about you - how is your anemia and are you taking hormones?.

Deskenasy, how about you on the same questions?

Are you two feeling good? I feel better and better, more energetic and ambitious, headaches almost disappeared. Just can't lose the stomach!

Pellice
SAH/BSO
Unread 08-20-2002, 09:36 AM

Hi again,

Yes, my ab exercises are producing results--everywhere else but that flabby sausagelike area!

I am feeling great, on 2 mg estradiol. I still sense my incision from time to time, but am definitely much better than in years. I think before this surgery I was hormonally a 3-ring circus! That has definitely evened out. I too was anemic and it has taken a while for the fatigue to disappear. I also had to have a transfusion in surgery.

Unfortunately, I am not sleeping well just now, but I have a stressful situation with my mother, who has breast cancer and suddenly had a heart attack last week, shortly before her final dose of chemo. I have spent most of the summer going back to help out with her care, and she is a wonderful person, but a terrible, disobedient patient (skipping doses of her medications, drinking alcohol, smoking, etc....). I'm quite worried about her and can't get a restful night's sleep just now.

I also need a job! So....now that I'm physically pretty much back together, other life issues are looming large!

I hope someone can write something encouraging about that stomach flab though! It's depressing me!
Unread 08-20-2002, 10:00 AM

I never had any problems before surgery - the dr. discovered an ovarian cyst which was growing, and that was that. At my age, it was changing enough that it could have become cancerous, or if he left an ovary I would probably grow another one. But I had not had any observable physical problems (except being overweight), I had energy, was exercising by walking the dogs twice daily and doing step aerobics twice weekly. So as of now I feel great, and better than pre-op since I am 20 lbs lighter. I still have another 20 lbs to go, but I have always had a belly, so I don't EVER anticipate that it will disappear completely, no matter what kind of shape I am in.

I have been told that we simply do develop a tummy as we get older, that it is natural, so I am pre-equipped. Of course I am also fifty, so maybe I've been of that age for some time.

I definitely feel great, have tons of energy but I do sleep more than I used to. I rest more. Frankly I think this is a good thing

And I don't think I will ever give up wearing my bike shorts under everything. They make me feel good and snug and I forget about my belly. I have lived with it before, and can live with it again. BUT I do hope that within the year it will reduce some. If not, I've got a good excuse to have it and I dare anyone to tell me otherwise!!
there is no reason NOT to think the swelling may continue for quite some time considering all the stitches and work that went on inside. After all, the incision still feels tender, why not the rest of the tissues inside, which will react by swelling?

Keep up the good work, don't kill yourselves and I am convinced it will either fade or not. My mother is tiny, with a tiny waist and she has always bemoaned her belly, but most people don't see that at all. I don't. Anyway we are not 16-year olds (well, I'm not) anymore.

CMCM I hope you can get things together during this stressful time. I am sorry for all the problems and send you many prayers for peace.

Desk
Unread 08-20-2002, 02:45 PM

I'm a year and a half post-op. It took forever for my tummy to go down, but it DID go down. I had swelly belly forever and I really thought it was never going to go away. I started dieting about a year ago (have been working out.....exercising.......for years & years). I have found that varying my exercise routines help, and since I've started weightlifting that helps too because you use your abs in so many of the exercise routines (Body Pump classes).

I just wanted to respond to this thread and say, hang in there gals. Yes I still have a little pouchy belly but nothing like it was after my hyst. You can get it down but it takes a while...........in my case a LONG while...........I'm thinner now and in better shape than I was before my hyst.

Good luck to all of you!
Ann
Unread 08-20-2002, 06:37 PM

I can chime in with it took somehwere around the 6month mark for me to start noticing, hey ... my belly doesn't look all poofy anymore.

Today, nearing the 8 month mark, it still comes n goes. I exercise regularly, (did before and after surgery), and having recently lost a good slab o fat, (nice visual huh?) I can say that the belly post op is waaaaay different than the belly o fat.

It might help to think about what they really had to do around your incision. Separate the layers, stick their hands in there, rearrange the furniture, throw out the bad stuff, put the furniture back in place, covering the ugly stains on the carpet so the furniture might not be in the exact same place, squish the opening back together and stitch ya up. Okay, maybe it wasn't quite like that, but you get the idea. My own experience is that it's taking a bit of time for things to settle back into place.

As ann suggested, you might also try changing your exercise routines, it may kick start a reaction in your body.

BSQ
Unread 08-21-2002, 04:49 PM

BSQ, I am going to print out your message and post it by my mirror as a reminder - of what, I'm not sure, but I like reading it!!

Desk
Unread 08-22-2002, 05:30 PM

I know several women who do not have bellies postop; however, that is because of the benefit of liposurgery. I know why I have a belly. It is because my doctor pulled the fat up, so beneath the horizontal scar, I am flat. But above the scar is a round fat area. Seriously though, I have gone down quite a bit and am into smaller clothes. I don't remember a flat belly without pulling it in, so I guess I can't expect to have one now. Good luck to all. Love, Judi

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway