HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Cystocele and orgasms in the future Cystocele and orgasms in the future

Unread 08-16-2002, 01:54 PM
Cystocele and orgasms in the future

I know this is pretty blunt, but hey that's what we are here for! I was told by a nurse friend of mine today that she knew several ladies who had cystocele repair and they were not able to have an orgasm after. Supposedly they regretted having it fixed. I am now paranoid about having mine fixed now. I am a newlywed and that would NOT be a good thing if that happened. (to say the least). Can anyone please share with me anything they might know about this? I am getting so crazy also from information overload and trying to decide whether to have my ovaries taken out or leave them. The idea of ABRUPT menopause is literally freaking me out. I am 46 and wasn't prepared for this. Originally it was only supposed to be the uterus out because of the prolapse. (not the ovaries). and fixing the cystocele and rectocele. Even though my ovaries, so far as I know, are fine.. they think since I am near the age of natural menopause that they should come out. You know the bit....to prevent ovarian cancer. ( no history of it in my family).Since I get PMS from hell and horrible sore breasts for about 9 days per month...maybe HRT would at least help that stuff because the hormones could be regulated. I am also wondering if going on HRT is like going on the pill (something I never could tolerate many years ago) My body always simulated pregnancy and it was horrible. I have visions of that routine again. My surgery is "tentatively" scheduled for Oct. 3 because we are waiting to see if the 2nd surgeon who will fix my rectocele can do the surgery that date. I am really having anxiety with this long wait. I had "Urodynamic" testing on my bladder a few days ago and I have to wait for my pre-op appt. which is full month away on Sept.12. I seriously do not think its reasonable to expect me to wait for those results for a month. These surgeons really have no clue about the emotional aspects of this things. sheesh. Thank you for listening, everyone. I really appreciate it. (and sorry this is so long).
Unread 08-16-2002, 02:11 PM

Hi SUe

I had a hysterectomy July 8, 02 left my ovaries in. I had my surgery because of a uterine prolapse, cystocele, rectocele, enterocele. There was nothing wrong with my ovaries so I left them. Now about the orgasm, I am still not released to have intercourse, but my DH came home from a business trip last night and we did other things and I was having no problem with orgasms. I think it is probably based on the individual.

Good luck with your surgery and if there is nothing wrong with your ovaries then why take them out.

I hope this helped a little

Unread 08-16-2002, 02:15 PM

Didn't have Cystocele surgery but you might try running a search. You can find a lot of people/posts that way. Sounds like you have a lot of thinking to do. The more experienced imput, the better. God and Luck be with you.
Tam
Unread 08-16-2002, 02:17 PM

zoemarie (Paula),
Thanks for your reply. Can I ask you how old you are? Thanks,
Sue
Unread 08-16-2002, 02:23 PM

Hi Sue

I had a cystocele, rectocele, prolapse... had everything done back in February. I have no problem having orgasms. Please share your concern about this with your DR though... he/she should be able to reassure you about that.

The decision about your ovaries is a very individual one. I felt the same way you do, and had them taken out (I'm 46 too and was perimenopausal before the surgery). I wasn't able to tolerate the Pill when I was younger either, but don't have those types of problems with HRT. I won't kid you, getting your hormones balanced post op can be either very easy or a long and complicated process, but it can be done. I'm working on mine now and have just decided I finally feel better than I have since before my prolapse.

You are probably going to hear this dozens of times on this site, but I'm going to repeat it anyway... the waiting really is the worst part of the whole thing. I'm glad you're waiting with us!

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-16-2002, 02:30 PM
You'll be fine, you're getting there

Hey there, haven't had time to log on for a week and just spotted your post so thought I'd tell you my experience.

I had an unsuspected cystocele and bladder prolapse along with retrocele, entercele and enlarged prolapsed uterus. I had surgery end of May with Burch sling and repairs and LAVH. Before the 6 week mark my DH and I had achieved a gentle non-penetrative orgasm and at 6 weeks tried intercourse. I wasn't working the first time, I think we were both so worried and being careful that we couldn't relax. Now at 12 weeks and since about 8 weeks, sex is fine. The only difference for me is 1.I don't have any back pain! and 2. there is a slight reduction in sensation as I have lost my cervix but the sensation is after hitting the release spot, the lead up intensity is just as good if not better. Plus I have been told as I heal things will improve still further.

I am 41 and possibly pre-menopausal, ( my mum was 40 when she had her last period) but my last blood check showed ovaries are working but it took them a while to settle down. I am not aware of my old menstrual cycle at this stage, my boobs can get a bit sore and engorge but it happens at different times of day and months so reckon it could be to do with some underwire bras as much as my old cycle.

I could never tolerate the pill or minipill and if I do go into early menopause I will not take any HRT.

Your post doesn't mention which hyste procedure you've been recommended, I just made vaginally as uterus was quite big but was so pleased as some repairs, like the retrocele, are not always done at the same time as abdominal surgery due to possible cross-infection.

My bladder has settled down after being a bit spastic and oversensitive and I have full control of waterworks. My bowel has taken longer to settle and as you too, have a retrocele, I would suggest you check out some facts on keeping regular, stool softeners and which laxatives are safe if you do need to resort to them for relief.

After my surgery, I had the pathology report back that said my cervix was pre-cancerous so even if I had been considering keeping it, that wouldn't have been a good option! All my other pap smears had been fine.

I went back to work as a teacher aide at a high school at 7 weeks and found the first two weeks pretty tough going but am fine now, even having enough energy to start up some exercising again. My belly doesn't swell much now - but my legs do! Mind you, they did before surgery!

I'm sure you will soon get some more replies and support and hope everything goes well with your operation. I understand and sympathise with your feelings of frustration waiting for results but decided for me, I would rather have a accurate careful diagnosis than risk something being missed. Best wishes, Linda
Unread 09-03-2002, 02:23 PM
Cystocele and orgasms in the future...

I am 35 years old - and had a vaginal hysterectomy with rectocele and cystocele repair last year (10/11/01). Part of what I had done was a skin graph to the posterior wall, and the antieror wall was stictched to the pelvis (to kind-of hold it up). I kept my ovaries, but the cervix and uterus are gone. I was off work for 5 weeks. When I visited my surgeon for my five week checkup she could already tell that my antieror wall was still prolapsed. I had stage 2 cystocele. Now, one year later, I am having another surgery to repair the cystocele (the antieror wall). It is on 9/11/02. I saw the surgeon today. She told me that she will fold my vaginal skin over itself in three places, and stictch it to itself (overlapping) - and also put a skin graph completely over that skin - attached to my pelvis. This procedure is what she has been doing for cystocele repair in the last year. Because it is relatively new she doesn't know much about the long-term results, yet... But...she did say that there is a 30% chance of failure.
I am responding to your post to reassure you about sex and orgasims after your hysterectomy and prolapse repair surgery. I had no problem with having an orgasm. Honestly, I know I had no problem with orgasims caused by my surgery. The surgery has had no negative effect on my sex life. In fact, it has only improved things (because with the prolapsed uterus, rectocele and cystocele I felt really bad about myself...) Now I am almost back to normal - except for the bulging antieror wall (my bladder), by the end of the day is really dropping. But, if you can believe this, the pressure of the bladder almost makes me ******! It is true that a full bladder can stimulate some women, and so can a prolapsed bladder.
As far as the sex goes...don't worry so much. I truely believe that you will feel much, much, better after your repairs...and the only problems you might have will be from "thinking too much" ... not physical deficiencies or permenant "orgasim" inhibitors!

Good luck to you. Let me know if I was correct!

Kelly in Rochester, NY

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.