HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Premarin vs bioidentical hormones Premarin vs bioidentical hormones

Unread 08-26-2002, 10:52 AM
Premarin vs bioidentical hormones

I had a LAVH with ovaries removed on July 10th. I happened to be in California and had read Dr. Reiss's book on natural hormones, so I made an appointment and went to see him. He was very opposed to premarin and basically thought this form of estrogen was archaic. I asked him one question "Have any studies shown that estrodiol or triest have the same organ protective mechanisms as premarin, skin, heart, bone, etc.?" And he said the studies were deficient, but never really answered my question. He asked if I was a horse, did I eat hay, do I function like a horse and so on, but I have one thing to say about that. Are plants mammals? Do plants have the same hormone mechanisms as humans? I used estodial triest gel and natural progesterone for 2 days, and had the hormone crash of my life. I never thought the hot flashes were going to stop. I since went back on premarin, and I am now a happy camper. So, after $500.00 of hormone tests later which he ordered, that his office claims the insurance may not pay for, I am back where I initially started. On premarin. So my question to everyone out there is, are there any large documented studies on natural hormones?
Please educate me. Thanx, Cybercat
Unread 08-26-2002, 11:16 AM

Cybercat,
I do not know of any current studies on the bio-identical hormones. There may be some in the works, at least we hope that soon they will study the bio-identical hormones.

It is not unusual to experience symptoms when starting or changing methods of hrt. You may have needed to give it a bit more time.

Unread 08-26-2002, 11:38 AM

Hi
When I first started the bioidenticals, I was on a lower dose triest. It was not enough for me. I am currently on biest in a 70/30 ratio - a higher estradiol level and I am doing really good. I read Dr. Reiss' book and it was very good. He does advise to adjust doses according to symptoms. Also, it is the structure of estrogen in the nhrt that is identical to human estrogen. Premarin is not identical to human estrogen and I think that is what Dr. Reiss was trying to say. When it is all said and done, it is best to do whatever works for you.
Take care.
Linda
Unread 08-26-2002, 05:11 PM

Just wanted to stick in my worth......which is probably about all it's worth !!

Everybody reacts differently to hrt. I tried some of the bio-identicals (Climara patch, Cenestin) and couldn't take it. Felt lousy the whole time. I had been on Premarin .625 originally (after 6 months post........I had a lot of endo, took 0.3 mg the first 6 months, doc said that was ok but wouldn't increase it until 6 months was up). I went back on the Premarin and have been doing well ever since. Also learned......don't mess with it if it works (which it does, in my case!)

I have not found any documented studies on natural hormones. Something tells me the pharmaceutical companies have a hand in that. I'm sure that someday those studies will be done and when they are published one of the first places you'll read about them is here at Hystersisters!

I know that a lot of women object to Premarin and I can understand that, but it works for me........and I have to make my decisions according to how I feel.

Take care!
Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01

HYSTERSISTER GATHERING IN SANFORD, FLORIDA 8/31/02........CONTACT Dawn at dtoolgrl\@yahoo.com for info!
Unread 08-27-2002, 10:14 AM

Hi Cybercat

My grandmother used to say "there's a shoe for every foot" and while she was talking about finding a mate - I think it applies to finding balance in the . Premarin is the most widely studied and used HRT in the US - and with a good reason - as Ann said - it works! At least for many of us. And we can all be thankful that many doctors are willing to advise us about all the available options.

I've been looking for large studies on bioidentical hormones and can't find any published reports with one exception, which compared premarin + bio-identical progesterone to premarin alone to premarin + synthetic progesterone. This study was called the PEPI trial and showed that natural progesterone was better for blood lipids than synthetic progesterone.

I've heard there is an estradiol patch study going on - but I'm still
trying to track down something written.

Dorrie
Unread 08-27-2002, 11:55 PM

Thanks, Ann, for your comments. This HRT business is confusing. Everyone's experiences and preferences have caused to me wonder and question what the Dr. put me on (Premarin .625). Maybe I should ask about some other things????

However, I realize that this is working for me. I am having no problems with it as far as I can tell. Therefore, I shouldn't go changing things. I still questioned my thinking tho. Your comments have helped me to put my doubts to rest. No use rocking the boat!

Janet
Unread 08-28-2002, 04:32 AM

The day after I wrote my above response to this thread, an article came out in our newspaper (The Orlando Sentinel) about how there has been no in-depth testing of the so-called "natural" hormones.

This article was basically talking about hormones from compounding pharmacies. But it did also mention other hrt's made from plants that the pharmaceutical companies manufacture now, including Triest, Biest, Estrace, Estraderm, etc.

Mostly what the article was talking about is how so many women are questioning their Premarin because of the big study that was recently cancelled on Prempro. And the fact is they really don't know, in the long run, if the "bio-identicals" are really any better for you than the synthetics because no long-term tests have been done. And, according to this article, there probably won't be any tests done anytime soon because........and remember ladies this is from the article, not from me...........because natural hormones cannot be patented -- and therefore drug companies cannot make huge profits from them -- there is little incentive for them to be tested.

Disgusting, isn't it. Like our health isn't worth running tests to see how this stuff is going to affect the millions of women taking it.

I'm tried to get a link to the article, but you can't get it online.......you have to purchase a copy of the article!!

Ann

Ann

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.