HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

A Little Update After Seeing my GP Today.... A Little Update After Seeing my GP Today....

Unread 08-31-2002, 10:04 AM
A Little Update After Seeing my GP Today....

yep Judester...I think I am done, wipe and stand up and OOOOps!
It is a real problem at work. I try to "deal with it" carefully there and try not to forget! It can be quite embarrassing!
My doctor is as certain as he can be via U/S and Ct Scan that this is a cyst. He is also certain it is an ovarian remnant cyst. Only surgery will tell, but since I just had a second laparotomy I don't want to consider that ever again. (famous last words) I am on Depo-Provera for the cysts.
Don't apologize for the brain fog! I don't know whether I am coming or going half the time!
Unread 08-31-2002, 03:51 PM

(((((((Judester))))))

Welcome to the club. I hope that going off the hormones will work for you as well as it did for me. I was in severe pain and frightened to death to go off hormones. I'm 40 and thought that I was too young to be menopausal.

Stress incontinence...so that was what that was. That disappeared as soon as I quit the hormones too. Endo always had a severe and noticable impact on my bladder. When it came back I had to stop to potty twice on a one hour drive.

My endo pain diminished right away, but took about 2 weeks to really go away. My only symptoms have been vaginal dryness and I get warm. No major flashes. If I have stress I tend to get warm more often. I take Calcium, extra B, multi vitamin.

I tried Flaxseed oil pills and Black Cohosh and noticed pain so I quit both. I now use Vagifem and have not had any adverse effects from that.

I thought that you possibly had ovarian remenant syndrome. If you still have an active ovary portion you might still have estrogen running around in you.

come visit us in the oasis sometime. We love to see new members there. Lots of us endo gals there.
Unread 09-01-2002, 07:04 AM

S imalith

Thanks for your post! You know....it's only been 5 days w/o HRT and I feel no different what so ever. This is a good thing, and a bad thing. The positives being that I don't feel like moody Joody, no hot flashes, no menopause symptoms period. The negatives are I'm noticing that my Fibro and IBS symptoms are acting up a bit....but this could be a coincidence....another neg is that so far I'm not noticing any change in the Endo pain I'm thinking that either I still have the HRT in my system...or as you mentioned....I could have an ovarian remnant.

All in all, I think this experiment (or total change) will be a positive one. I wish I had done it sooner. The gyn that did my last lap swears that I didn't have an O/R. She is a good Dr., and very keen in trying to help me, but even she has admitted that there is nothing else she can do. I'm thinking that perhaps it was so microscopic that she missed it? Also, with what Kathy500 has mentioned...and with my recent U/S results...it has me thinking bigtime! That's dangerous BTW

I've posted in the Oasis...and I've been doing a lot of reading there too. I have jotted down some things I need to buy this week.

Thanks for all of your support...S
Unread 09-01-2002, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I also have a problem voiding. I think I'm done, and stand up....oops! Now, I just sit there for a while afterwards
I've had this since my Hyst...does anyone's Dr say what is causing it?? I've been focused on all my other problems and I guess I have got so used to this symptom its kinda become normal to me I really need to mention it....

Judy,
Your body can store some Hormones so it could take a bit for your body to be completely rid of them. I'll keep praying that it helps that Endo pain! Ovarian Remnant Syndrome can be difficult to dx w/ surgery. Has your Dr mentioned checking your Hormone levels after you have been off HRT for some time?? That will help discover a piece of an active ovary that was not seen because your body will be producing some. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your upcoming appt. I know your anxious to get some relief! Who wouldnt!! Dont you keep a pain diary?? If so please take it with you and maybe write down the way the pain has been going. You could even go back to your older posts. I just know how it is when you get to the Dr, the sometimes overwhelm me and I'm unable to express my true feeling or forget half of what I wanted to mention Is Bob going with you??We'll be there with you in spirit Judy, holding your hand all the way
Unread 09-01-2002, 08:58 AM

((((Sheri))))

You are such a sweetheart! Thanks for all of your kind words and support. Yes, I do keep a pain journal, although I must admit that I haven't been writing in it much lately because things have been kind of the same. I did make a notation when I started having that right sided pain-ER trip....also marked the day I stopped taking my HRT!

The cool thing (well it wasn't at the time LOL!) is I had to fill out a HUGE book re: my symptoms...pain etc. They have this one file. I also have my full journal from the first year both pre and post hyst that I can refer too....and I really like your idea about looking at old posts. My bulldog Bob will not be able to go with me to my first appointment because of work....but he may be able to come along to the next one - which is with the top banana at this clinic. I do plan on bringing some notes along with me to 'help' my memory LOL!

I will ask my doc to check my hormones. When do you think would be a good time frame to look at?? Perhaps six weeks without HRT?

Regarding the problem voiding...my docs have always shrugged it off to stress incontinence...keep doing those kegels etc. I too have had this since the hyst., You really should mention this to your doc ((((Sheri)))) and please let us know what they say.

Again thanks...I'm in really good spirits today. The pain is there, but my spirits are soaring!
Unread 09-01-2002, 03:49 PM

Another one with the 'stand up think I'm done syndrome and WHOOPS!' Everything of mine has defied gravity and I think that's got a lot to do with it. However I have noticed it's not happening quite as much since I started taking Ditropan for my bladder spasms? Must be a brain/bladder thing. Neurotransmitters or something, who knows, we have a lot of problems and it's hard to work out just what is from what isn't it?

Jude, Sheri is right, you should be able to tell if you have an ovarian remnant after a blood test. I'd wait 2 months though (I answered your post in HJ).............just to be sure.
Unread 09-01-2002, 04:13 PM

You know, I've had that "stand up, we're not done, sit down" thing as well, although without the incontinence. What I've noticed since the surgery is, although I kept my cervix hoping that this wouldn't happen, in fact my pelvic floor is much weaker than it used to be. And I do the Kegels "properly" (there was a thread sometime back about how many of us have been doing it wrong all these years ).

Jude, I'm noticing a slight improvement off my estrogen too. Are you taking any kind of progesterone? I've forgotten...my doctor did say I could try to use some cream to augment my Prometrium to see if it helps the pain any...she was talking Depo, but we both decided I'd rather not go there...

She and I also talked about ovarian remnant, and we decided to stay off estrogen for four weeks and test then. If my estradiol levels come out "normal", then we'll know. And she is sending me to a Uro-gyn friend of hers who will do the testing to see what's up.

Guess we'll all keep each other company in the Oasis!!

Audrey
Unread 09-02-2002, 07:05 AM

When I quit estrogen I was expecting to have immediate hot flashes. I read posts that said that it could take a month or two if you have been on HRT. It tends to build up in our systems and stores in our fat. I never did have any flashes. I did get a little warm at night for about 2 months and then my body adjusted.

As for the endo pain, you may want to monitor it to see if it changes significantly in 2 weeks to a month. If not, you could have an ovarian remenant or perhaps it is the dreaded adhesion monster and not endo.

I read about the ovarian remenant syndrome. If your ovaries were adhesed to other parts of your body, parts can be stuck under the doctor's clamps and therefore become left behind. Do you have any monthly symptoms? PMS?
Unread 09-02-2002, 07:26 AM
by the way

You may want to avoid soy, black cohosh, flaxseed oil and all those other natural things that seem to produce estrogen. Those might keep the endo going. I even tried to avoid soy in my diet as much as possible (It seems to be in everything so it is difficult).

As time goes, if you ever start getting hot flashes (I never did), you may slowly try the supplements and see if they work for you. I noticed pains came back when I tried Black Cohosh and Flaxseed oil. I don't know which was the cause, but since I wasn't having any problems, I just decided to stop taking them both. Good luck.
Unread 09-02-2002, 09:54 AM
Bladder Problems

I once read an article, or perhaps an excerpt from a book (read so much can't always remember where I read it!) that stated one of the reasons Americans have so many problems later in life with bladders is: incorrect voiding habits! We are always in a hurry rush in and rush out. We "push" our urine out instead of letting gravity empty our bladders. The pushing actually weakens the muscles. It is quite common to have that last bit in your bladder and when you avoid waiting until it empties, it sets you up for infection. The article stated we need to teach children not to rush and to correctly empty their bladders! Just some interesting info!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.