Ange75's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story | Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ange75's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story Ange75's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Unread 04-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Ange75's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Ange75's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Abdominal Hysterectomy
Age at Surgery 41

I've suffered from heavy and long periods for years, plus endometriosis and pain in my stomach, lower back, bowel and bladder when full.

I had abdominal hysterectomy but my ovaries were left because of my age. When I came out of surgery my catheter wasn't working so I was in agonising pain, therefore I was given lots of pain killers before they realised the problem! Once that was sorted the pain killers switched off the part of the brain that made me breath when asleep so I stayed the night in the ICU because I would stop breathing every time I fell asleep. While in ICU they found my liver levels had elevated so I was unable to have paracetamol plus I couldn't have codeine or tramadol since I'd used it for years for pain relief and now have a reaction to them. So my only pain relief was morphine.
The day after my surgery I was moved to a normal ward but because of the complications I had to stay in hospital a day longer than anticipated. I was sent home with a packet of Endone, slow release anti inflammatories, compression socks and the stern lecture of NO using paracetamol for at least 4 weeks!

Pain relief was an issue since I couldn't take paracetamol and the Endone didn't last very long. Sleeping was hard as well as hot and cold flushes kept me awake most nights.
I was a very independent person before surgery and I was used to existing in constant pain while I went about my day to day chores BUT this was different after surgery since I knew I could do permanent damage to my body if I over did it as well as I just didn't have the energy.

For the first 10 - 12 weeks besides the pain and weird numbness on my stomach, I felt like I was constantly drained. I did start to feel slightly more human and then I had an awful cold 2 weeks ago that is one of the worse colds I've ever had and it knocked me back on my butt!
I also had a kind of period which is the only way I can describe it, I didn't bleed but I had all of the other symptoms that I would usually have. I was emotionally and physically a mess as I wondered why I bothered to have the surgery in the first place if it didn't help the pain. I've also put on 10 kilos.

I think it is a personal and individual choice but at the moment I do regret my Hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register