HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Lump in vein in forearm - same vein as IV Lump in vein in forearm - same vein as IV

Unread 09-02-2002, 07:59 AM
Lump in vein in forearm - same vein as IV

I am 4 weeks post op from a TAH on 8/5. Overall I am feeling very well.

For the last 3 weeks I have had a mildly painful pinto bean size lump that is medium hard in the vein in my forearm that was used for the IV. It is about 3 inches up from the IV site. Most of the time it is not too painful but every now and then I get really bad pain shooting down the vein and into my hand from the area of the lump. Also, somtimes it causes my lower arm to ache.

I have no idea what this is and was wondering if anyone else had something similiar. I don't really want to go to the doctor. I am so tired of doctors and hope I don't have to see one except for my yearly appt.

BTW, I have had many IVs in this veins over the years... I have had 12 surgeries, babies, ER demerol IVs, had preterm labor and had this vein "infiltrate" from the IV that time... My guess is that I have had probably 25 IVs in this vein (it is a favorite since it is big and easy to stick).
Unread 09-02-2002, 09:32 AM
blood clot?

Dear sister,

Do not want to frighten you but could you have a blood clot. I had one in June after they stuck the IV in my arm. It started to get red and itchy. I was told to put heat on it and keep it elevated and the clot does cause pain. I opted when I had my surgery to have them put the IV in my hand cause it scared me so bad.

My personal advice is to call the DR. ASAP it could be a clot. Just to be safe. Mine took three weeks to go down. Again, I don't want to scare you but it sounds very similar to mine and can be life threatening. I had to have mine ultrasound. Call your DR.

let me know what you find out,

Sister that is concerned,
Sincerely,
Cheryl
Unread 09-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Call your doc!

I know it's a holiday, but I agree with Cheryl --- call the doctor's office. Someone has to be on call, and it's better to get this checked out right away than wait and have it be something really serious.

Please call and let us know what they say!

s
Unread 09-02-2002, 01:11 PM

I had the same thing after my c-sect. I called the Dr. He said, "yeah that happens all the time, just take a couple of aspirin".

I did and it went away but I've always felt he was a little too casual about it.

I'd definately call and at least talk to the nurse.

Take Care,
Connie
Unread 09-02-2002, 03:16 PM

This sounds like a phlibitis (an inflamation in a vein). It is very common after any IV that has been left in for any length of time. I have had one after almost every IV I have had. Warm compresses will help some, but it will probably be sore to the touch for quite awhile.

If it gets swollen or red, I would call the Dr. If you are concerned, I would give your Dr a call tomorrow.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Caren
Unread 09-02-2002, 07:47 PM

I had a hard spot on the vein in my IV hand after each surgery. It was painful and each time my doctor assured me it would go away on it's own. It did. I just had to be careful not to bump it against anything. The little bump that sticks out at my wrist always swells up to about twice it's size. Ouch.,

You may want to do a search on "inflitration" this will give you more reading material about many different experiences with these painful IV veins. Even so, your doctor should check it out.

BSQ
Unread 09-03-2002, 05:12 PM

I had the same thing happen after one of my surgeries in my right arm. It went form my writdst to my shoulder and boy did it hurt. There were little nodules all along the tract of the vein. It turned out to be a thrombophlebitis. Warm compresses and a lot of time helped the situation. The dr. told me that the little nodules were actually the valves in the veins tht were inflamed and tender.
I would definately let the dr. know what is going on and see what he says.
Hang in there.
Mel
Unread 09-03-2002, 05:15 PM

Thanks for all the responses. It is so nice to have the support and feedback. I have an appt tomorrow and talked to the nurse today. She said it does sound like the phlebitis... hope that is all and it goes away soon. She also said to put moist heat on my arm.

I had never heard of this phlebitis thing until now.

Thanks again
Unread 09-03-2002, 07:39 PM
11 weeks post and still have lump in hand

I will be 11 weeks post tomorrow and I still have a lump on the top of my hand where they had my IV, which unfortunately blew my vein. I had an IV in each hand, one had my PCA pump and the other had antibiotics. Every couple of hours they came to hand another antibiotic bag and on my second day in the hospital the nurse came to hang another bag and I told her I thought my IV was coming out. She assured me it was fine. About 10 minutes later I was watching my hand swell to the size of a baseball and the pressure blew the tubing right off the IV. I started screaming for a nurse and when they walked in my room they nonchalantly stated the vein blew and removed the IV. Well, 11 weeks later and I still have the lump right behind where the vein collapsed. The swelling went down but the lump still remains. I asked my dr about it and he told me it was going to take a very long time to go away. So I'm still waiting. It doesn't really hurt anymore, it just looks awful.

Donna
Unread 09-03-2002, 07:47 PM

Donna,

Wow, I am sorry that happened to you. That must have hurt alot.

When I had the IV infiltrate it wasn't nearly so dramatic... it just started to burn and hurt like crazy... the nurses were checking on me very regularly (due to the preterm labor) so the next time the nurse came in I told her and she immediately went about switching to the other arm. It hurt alot. I can't imagine the pain you must have had.

I hope the lump goes away soon.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.