HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hurts really bad when I have a bowel movement, any one else experiencing this? Hurts really bad when I have a bowel movement, any one else experiencing this?

Unread 09-06-2002, 08:43 PM
Hurts really bad when I have a bowel movement, any one else experiencing this?

Okay ladies, I had my hysterectomy they removed my ovaries, cervix, uterus, and tubes Aug 27. Right now I am scared to death when I have a bowel movement it is like having a baby any one else experiencing this?
Unread 09-06-2002, 08:59 PM
bowels

Yes me to,my surgery was over 4 wks ago,it does get better.i have been taking citrucel to keep the bowels moving smoothly,the first bowel movement was BAD!!!!!i also at first took stool softners to and it did help ...It will get better,,,,if not i would call your dr..i think the first wk was bad for me.....Peggy
Unread 09-06-2002, 09:02 PM

Hi angie I'm sorry you're having this trouble... many of us have had quite a bit of pain during bm's in the early days post op. Are you using stool softeners? I took one (colace) after every meal for the first four weeks post op, and they helped a lot. The other thing that helps is making sure to drink plenty of liquids. I drank warm prune juice every morning, and lots of water and herb tea throughout the day.

If you're doing all of these things, and the pain is severe and not improving, I'd give your DR a call and let them know. I hope you're feeling better soon!

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-06-2002, 11:22 PM

I also had very painful bowel movements for the first week...I had to double over in order to go...i didn't use any stool softeners..i really didnt have a problem going...just that initial pain. I think what saved me was that i did drink lots of water. I guess we all have to and bear it for a while

Robin
Unread 09-07-2002, 07:23 AM

I am about 1.5 weeks post op and am still have pain
when i am trying to have a bowel movement. I have been drinking the water and taking gas-x but still I have this horrible pain. I just keep hoping it will go away. So i know how you are feeling. I have also developed a cough which i guess is from the
anthestia but it sure does hurt my incision. Good luck and hope everthing gets better.
Linda
Unread 09-07-2002, 07:42 AM
Hate those dreaded BM's!

Yep, right there with you. I found using a suppository helped. I'm not completely regulated yet. My surgery was 2 days after yours, but it is getting better each day. As the others said, drink lots of water. You can also try the prune juice as surferbabe said, or you can try apple juice. At any rate, good luck, and if it doesn't get better--call your DR!

Sending well wishes for a speedy and as painless as possible recovery!
Unread 09-07-2002, 07:42 AM
oh i know how you feel...........

i am almost 3 weeks post-op and still have problems with bm's. i take colace twice a day and it helps a little. i still have to put a towel in my mouth because it really does hurt. the best way i can explain it is that it feels like labor pains!!!

my doctor tells me it will get better and i am just waiting for that day!

take care
kathy
Unread 09-07-2002, 09:00 AM

Hello Angie,
We are twins!!! I also had my abdominal hyst on 27th. I too have problems with pooping. I take colace and drink slim fast. Slim fast always makes me poop. Dh also got me prunes and raisins, I eat the raisins and sometimes grapes, this also helps. I go everyday now and the pain is much better when I take the colace than when I don't. I eat only soft foods, whatever I want that is soft, drink plenty of water, and do not eat any meat yet at all. I got brave and had popcorn shrimp 2 days ago, that hurt a little bit more. I hope this helps you some. Remember plent of water, that really does help a lot. Your Hyster Twin, Wendy
Unread 09-07-2002, 10:11 AM
This is the worst

I had to reply to your post and tell you I am doing better at the 4 week mark. I tried everything over the counter and food to help with this problem and the pain. I can tell you that Grape nuts cereal worked for me immediately. Hang in there I really felt like this problem was the worst part of the surgery. Good luck.
Unread 09-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Not constipation just pain.

I understand what you all are taking about the constipation because of the pain meds, I had to have a colectomy for 80% of my colon in Dec. 2001. But this is different I'm not having hard bowel movements, they are actually pretty soft, but they pain, is almost like you know when you couch really hard or sneese that is the kind of pain I am talking about, but it lasts the hole time while I am trying to go to the bathroom, kinda like a bowel spasm too..I was just wondering if any one else experience this? Sometimes I have to stop having a BM because the pain is so intense....Thanks for all of your replies...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.