Net 51's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story | Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Net 51's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story Net 51's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Unread 05-10-2017, 05:07 AM
Net 51's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Net 51's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Abdominal Hysterectomy
Age at Surgery 50

I had heavy bleeding for nearly 5 years. I had an abolition done and that worked for a little while. The bleeding started again and I made the decision to have my hysterectomy. I had a bulky uterus fibroids and polyps. I really did everything to avoid having a hysterectomy. My dr had advised it after the abolition. I have one ovary my right one twisted and died 3 years ago.

I had to travel to the mainland to have my hysterectomy and stay there for 10 days following surgery before flying home. I had an epidural for my operation which was decided when I got into theatre so that was a big shock to me but I didn't have time to think really. The procedure took 6 hours and I was in recovery for 3 hours I had bp problems. The pain when I was in recovery was horrendous I vomited continually I will never forget that first night. I stayed in hospital for 4 days. I couldn't use the morphine pump because of vomiting so I had Endone and panadol. I spent 10 days in the motel before coming home and that was really hard. I had my wonderful husband with me thankfully.

I think the biggest thing in my recovery is how much I under estimated this operation and how much it has knocked me around. I was exhausted and the pain was so much more than I thought I had bleeding for 6 weeks that I had no idea was going to happen.Mybladder felt so weird when I did a wee and and did for months.And I put so much pressure on myself to be right by 6 weeks. Which is what everyone had said. I was nowhere near right by then. I needed to rest. And listen to my body. I was cleared at my 6 week checkup everything was going great healing was good bruising was starting to go.My Dr was pleased but wanted me to still rest and take it easy he explained all the healing on the inside that needed to happen and there is no time frame on that

I am 11 months post op and I am still in some discomfort if I overdo things or lift something to heavy it's tummy muscles. And I still have a swelling belly most days depending on what I do. I get very anxious about the pain and the swelling but my Dr has checked me out and it's fine it's normal for me everyone heals differently and I am just going to take a lot longer than most. Some days I seriously regret doing this operation but then I think about how bad the bleeding was and I am thankful I had it done.

Please be kind to yourself after you have this done rest and recover. I truly thought I was going to hit the 6 week mark and be fully healed and recovered I was so very wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register