Blood clot? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-08-2002, 05:05 PM
Blood clot?

I'm 8 weeks post op and just had a couple of bad days, with lower abdomen pains. Just lazed about for two days and last night, during a long night of insomnia, noticed my foot swelling just above the toes. It's still there and feels weird, like a bubble, and I feel a "rushing" feeling in it if I sit still. No redness, but get some pain in ankle and/or calf if I let leg lay over to the side. DH asked if this could be a blood clot and I had no idea of what the symptoms of a clot are. I definately did not hurt it, unless tossing with insomnia could have done something. Anybody familiar with anything like this? I don't know whether to just ignore it or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Blood clot?

Hi Vicki, it could be lots of things, a clot is one of them...
here is a link to a site on deep vein thrombosis:

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/m...hrombosis.html

Please give your DR a call in the morning and get it looked at, especially if it's only one foot and not the other. That doesn't sound right. Whether it's a clot or not, it needs to be seen.

Please let us know what the DR says.... hope it's nothing serious!
s,
-Linda
Unread 09-08-2002, 06:03 PM
Blood clot?

(((((Vicki)))))

Wow honey, this is something that I have no experience with.

I advise you to call the Dr tomorrow morning, IF it is a blood clot, you need to have that taken care of as soon as you can. If you are having pain, then maybe a trip to the ER tonite?

Have you tried doing a search here for blood clots? Maybe someone else has experienced the same things you are.

PLEASE take care of yourself, and PLEASE call your Dr in the morning and let us know what he/she says.

Love, Hugs, & Prayers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Blood clot?

If it is a blood clot, then waiting until tomorrow might not be a good idea. Why don't you call the ER of the hospital where you had your surgery and ask to speak to the doctor on call. The *only* way to determine if it's a clot is with an ultrasound.

In the meantime, don't rub it. If it is a clot, you don't want to dislodge any part of it. Please make that phone call to the ER right away.

Best wishes
Unread 09-09-2002, 04:49 PM
Update?

(((((Vicki)))))

I was just thinking about you and wondering what happened. Did you go to the ER last nite? What did your Dr say?

Please let us know when you get a minute...you know how sisters are, we worry about each other

Love & Hugs
Unread 09-09-2002, 05:39 PM
Blood clot?

Hi,
I have a blood clot in my forearm in the vein used for the IV (I have had probably 25 IVs in this veins over the years). Anyway, the vein has been hurting since the week after surgery and I noticed a lump in it about 3 inches up from the IV site. Most of the time the vein ached but sometimes I would get shooting pain down my arm... It is much better now but I still have the clot.
(The doctor diagnosed the blood clot etc.)

Here is what the doctor told me... blood clots in superficial veins are not dangerous. Blood clots in the veins in the arms are not dangerous (apparently they just never get big enough to be a danger). Blood clots in the surperficial veins of the legs are not dangerous. Blood clots in the deep veins in the leg are dangerous and mostly they worry about the ones above the knee and not below the knee. This all has to do with the size of the veins and how big the clot can get.... The only caveat is if your hand or foot starts to swell up like the blood is pooling in it... that is a problem and it is very painful.

The tenderness I am experiencing is from the vein being back up with blood and that causes irritation... which has mostly subsided now. I have not had the sharp/shooting pain for about a week now.

Anyway, that is what my Internist told me. I hope you found an answer and relief.
Unread 09-10-2002, 02:26 PM
not blood clot HOORAY

Hi all! Thanks for the suggestions and concern. I was really worried, but DR says not to worry, it is soft tissue swelling. Dont know why it's swollen or how I might have hurt it, but am glad it's not a clot. He said clots usually cause swelling, pain and/or redness in calf or upper leg, not foot unless the ankle is involved and my ankle is trim and fine. Now that I've started walking a little again, I notice that teh foot aches a little inside after about 5 minutes, so I must have sprained or pulled something tossing and turning with insomnia! I see DR next week, and if it's not better by then, probably x-ray. Be aware, insomnia is not only horrific by itself, it can cause other problems! Thanks again for the advice and, as usual, concern!
Unread 09-10-2002, 05:11 PM
Blood clot?

(((((Vicki)))))

OH! I am soooo relieved that you called your Dr and found out it's not a clot! *whew1*

Thank you for the update, I've been worrying about ya!

Please let us know how your appt goes. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Love & Hugs,

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register