HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Quick question about pain in IV site..... Quick question about pain in IV site.....

Unread 09-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Quick question about pain in IV site.....

Hi ladies!! I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow. I have pain in my hand from where IV was attached. It did infiltrate while they were giving me anti throw up med via IV. I find that it radiates from the site where the needle went in, down and to the left toward the outside wrist bone and upwards to literally just below my wedding ring. It freaked me out this morning when I put my ring back on, I couldn't get it off when I tried again right away, it seems like my finger is swollen just enough to make it feel funky to wear my ring....oh well, it's on for the duration now!! I KNOW if I can get anyone else with this problem it'll be here! You are all just so incredible. and s Betsy
Unread 09-17-2002, 02:32 PM
Similar Problem

My IV-site pain is right above my wrist and seems confined to the spot where two veins connect, which I suspect is where the needle ended. There's some swelling there too. I have my 4-week post-op visit on Thursday and plan to ask about it, so I'll post what I hear then.
Unread 09-17-2002, 03:09 PM

Pain at an IV site is not unusual and generally not a problem. But two weeks later to still have some swelling concerns me. You might want to call your Dr and / or the hospital's risk management. Most hospitals track their IV philbitis (inflammed vein) rates.

One of the most common nausea medications, phenergan, can be very irritation to the vein. But I would not expect it to still be swollen.

Caren
Unread 09-18-2002, 08:49 AM

I am almost 3 wks. post-op and I still have pain from my IV's.(notice the s after iv?, they had to change sites 3 times) I can actually follow the veins from my hands down to my elbows, as they are sore and hard. Asked my Dr. about this 10 days post-op and she said to apply heating pad to the areas. I have to say that it hasn't helped much and am wondering if this should be still hurting.
Unread 09-20-2002, 06:26 AM
Had My 4-Week Post Op Yesterday

and asked my doctor about this. Before I even had the question finished, she completed my sentence -- "You have a tender 'knot' at the spot where the needle ended, right?" Yup!

Can't remember what she called it technically, but she said it will take several more weeks before it goes away.
Unread 09-21-2002, 09:30 PM
Pain from IV

I had a TAH/BSO on July 9th. My IV was in my left hand. I don't think it infiltrated (I've had that experience before and would recognize it), but I had a bad, burning pain in my vein every time I hit the painkiller pump button. I could feel the progress of the medicine up my arm and it was VERY uncomfortable.

After they removed the IV I had a pretty bad pain from the point the needle had entered my hand and up my arm along the path of that vein almost half way up to my elbow, with a round, knobby spot on the upper surface of my arm that was very tender. Believe it or not, the IV pain lasted longer than the pain from the surgery! It took 4-6 weeks before it went away all on it's own. I found that it helped when I moved my wristwatch to my right arm instead of my left. All of a sudden one day after about 5 or 6 weeks, I realized it didn't hurt any more.

Keep an eye on it, though. After I had spinal surgery 10 years ago when I had a badly infiltrated IV, I developed really bad tendonitis in the wrist where the IV infiltrated and ended up having to have it treated with cortisone injections because I couldn't use the fingers on that hand because the pain in the wrist was so severe.

The good new: I'm 10 1/2 weeks post op now and feeling GREAT overall, so hang in there--there's light at the end of the tunnel. Unless I actually touch my incision (which is still kind of numb and feels weird) I could forget I even had the surgery. I am totally back to normal. I'll keep my fingers crossed you get back to normal soon, too.
Unread 09-21-2002, 11:27 PM

I am almost 10 wks, and my IV site is still a little sore. My gyn said it takes the vein a while to repair itself.

I don't remember it being swollen, especially at 2 wks. I would call the on call dr, or hospital, and ask about it.

Punkie
Unread 09-22-2002, 10:10 PM

I too have radiating pain at my iv site and am still not wearing my wedding ring either. I asked my brother who's a doctor about it yesterday (as my 2 week post-op isn't until Tues.), and he said it is a hematoma. Basically it's a bruise to the vein. I had my iv in (with no fluids since the day after the surgery) for all 4 days I was in the castle. They kept flushing it with saline to keep it open so I could get my pain meds through it still if I needed immediate relief. It would burn very badly every time they flushed it. The nurses told me at the castle to lightly rub it and this still helps when it starts burning now. I plan on asking my doctor about it Tues. to be sure and I'd definitely recommend you do the same. But for now rest in the fact that so many sister princesses have endured the same and this too soon shall pass
Unread 09-22-2002, 10:29 PM

I had them try to put an IV in my me in two places before surgery and finally managed to find they could put it in my wrist on the palm side. After surgery it infiltrated. It's very painful now and some swelling, so this must be normal. Guess it takes time to return to normal. When the removed it an IV was put on the outside of my right elbow and it worked for about a day, then it infiltrated. It's also sore and still swelling. I have 8 IV places.....all bruised, only the two which infiltrated are swollen, but all 8 places are bruised.
I'll pray for you! May God Bless!
and ...........Janet

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.