Pain Meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Pain Meds

Can some of you tell me what type of pain medications you were on? I don't know much about medication and I want to do research before my LAVH 10.29.02!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Pain Meds

Had LAVH on 9/12. Was on Demerol through a PCA pump in castle then when I got home took Mepergan for a couple of days then now taking Motrin as needed!
Unread 09-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Pain meds

I took Vicodin at home for about 2 weeks. Now I just take Advil when I need it and Tylenol PM at night to help me sleep. On week 4 and every day gets a little better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Pain Meds

Hi! I had the spinal anesthesia the first day and then Percocet after that. I was on Percocet for about a week and then switched to 4 Ibuprofen. Hope that helps!

Julie
Unread 09-20-2002, 01:22 PM
Pain Meds

I was on a morphine pump for 24 hours (worked great).
Then I went on motrin or percocet.

I tried not to take much after the first day because I didn't want my bowel to slow down too much. I have enough trouble to begin with. I didn't have that much incision pain-- it was the gas pain that drove me to do laps around the floor at 4 AM. I also took something like GasX (I forget the name). Make sure your doctor orders something like that-- it helped more than pain meds. At home I took GasX and only took an occasional tylenol.

I had a TAH on August 31st.with a vertical abdominal incision.
I really didn't have that great a pain problem after surgery.

Good luck to you-- I did talk with my doc before surgery about what meds he would give me -- especially because of my tendency to need blasting caps to get my bowels moving. Before you look up everything, ask what will be ordered. Every doc has their favorite. One thing promise yourself--- USE PAIN MEDICINE.
I figure that is why God had make it in the first place-- She figured us women needed something to keep us comfortable after surgery.

Good luck and blessings for a safe comfortable castle trip.

arlene
Unread 09-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Pain Meds

I was on morphine pump 2 days following surgery with an occasional shot of torodol (sp?). I had terrific headache in hospital....not sure from what and was given some advil.

I came home with the lower dose of vicodin and took 1 every 4 hours for the first week, and the noticing I could go every 6 hours the second week. I am just starting my 3rd week, and will use vicodin as needed til advil can make me comfortable. Good Luck to you.

Hugs,
Debbie

I had TVH/BSO with A & P repairs.
Unread 09-20-2002, 03:52 PM
Pain Meds

I was on a morphine PCA (patient controlled pump) when I got into recovery. It was great. The day after my surgery they tried to wean me off the morphine and onto oral pain meds. They put me on dilaudid and an ibuprofen-like IV. I went home with orders to use dilaudid and ibuprofen. A few days after returning home my dilaudid started to run out so they called in vicodin, but I felt the dilaudid worked better so asked for another dilaudid refill. They didn't argue, but we had to go pick the prescription up because they can't call in dilaudid. About week 2 I started reducing my dilaudid use and by week 3 started using vicodin. I'm in week 4 and have been reducing my use of vicodin. Have used ibuprofen regularly throughout recovery. Everyone's different. I'm surprised when I read people stopped pain meds shortly after coming home. I have not had a day yet when I could go without pain meds. I think it is very individual.
Unread 09-20-2002, 04:01 PM
Pain meds

Everyone's pain is different. Remember you are a unique individual in all ways. What worked for me was the Demoral patient controlled pump for two days after surgery. I then moved on to Vicodin ES (extra strength) for my third castle stay day. I used the Vicodin at home every four hours for several days. I am ten days post TAH/BSO and now using only Advil as needed. But I am hanging on to the extra Vicodin for the days ahead in case there is a day where the pain is unexpectedly worse due to healing. I was really worried about the pain pre-op, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. It was manageable thanks to the meds. Good Luck!
Unread 09-20-2002, 09:03 PM
Pain Meds

Hi. I was on pca pump with morphine for the first 24 hours. Then i took motrin and percocet at home. By 5 days post op i gave up the percocet and now only take motrin as needed. Please remember though that everyone is different and its best to stay in front of your pain. Waiting until you are miserable to take your meds is a bad idea because it won't work nearly as good.Good luck to you!

I had a TVH on 9/11.
Unread 09-21-2002, 07:24 AM
Pain Meds

Hi
I was on morphine pump for first 15 hours. I didn't use it enough and it didn't really do much. They gave me percocet after and that made me dizzy and very "out of it". It didn't seem to help pain a lot for me. Then they gave me Motrin 600 mg from then on. I also got 2 shots of Toridol. The pain really wasn't that bad. My worst pain was at the incision itself where the staples were whenever I moved. I stopped pain meds altogether at 1 week because I could see no difference with or without. I guess I'm weird. Oh well good luck!

Laurie

SAH/BSO 9/9/02 verticle incision

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register