Post Surgery - How Do You Know You've Entered Menopause | Hormone and Menopause Central | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Surgery - How Do You Know You've Entered Menopause Post Surgery - How Do You Know You've Entered Menopause

Unread 07-14-2017, 07:26 AM
Post Surgery - How Do You Know You've Entered Menopause

I had my surgery 4/26/2012. It was the day after my anniversary and is deeply ingrained in my head. My surgeon suggested I keep my ovaries because my hysterectomy was due to fibroids, not cancer. Apparently my ovaries were not exactly excited with the surgery, because I immediately started having night sweats. I was assured my ovaries were in shock, and my hormones would right themselves, and everything would return to normal. Nope. I've had major night sweats, and hot flashes in the morning, from day one after my hysterectomy.

Here is my big issue. Those of us who are nearing menopause age and have a hysterectomy don't really know when when menopause starts because... well... gee. We aren't having a period anymore, and that is kind of the marker for entering menopause!

I spoke to one doctor about my night sweats, and she told me to take black cohash. Yeah. Hmmmm. Didn't work. I ended up changing doctors. But I get this pervasive feeling that doctors just expect us to suffer through menopause, the same way that some doctors expected me to suffer through heavy, painful, long lasting periods. Basically what I was told was to get over it. Every woman goes through it. I finally found a doctor who said that wasn't normal, and referred me to a gynecologist who suggested a robotic hysterectomy.

So, I've been reluctant to talk to my primary care physician about menopause. I don't want to hear just get over it. Every woman goes through it.

Monday I am going back to the doctor's office that performed the hysterectomy for hormone replacement therapy. I'm 55 years old. I assume I'm in menopause, especially after reading the symptoms. Seems like the correct age, right? All I know is that I'm miserable. I never get enough sleep, and I soak the sheets and my pillow every night with sweat. I have zero desire for sex. Nil. Nada. None! I'm fairly young. Shouldn't I still want sex?!?

The sad thing is that I feel guilty for wanting to try HRT because of the all the horror stories out there. I guess from my perspective, I'd rather have relief and deal with the consequences, than live a life that is miserable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Re: Post Surgery - How Do You Know You've Entered Menopause

Your symptoms do sound like classic menopause symptoms! Don't feel guilty about wanting to try hormone replacement to get some relief. For every horror story you see there is also a good story. The media tends to hype the bad stuff and folks will latch onto that.

I did not keep my ovaries, but I did use hormone replacement for 18+ years. It did take me some time to find the right hormone cocktail for me, but once I did, I did not look back.

Do keep in mind, hormones are not one size fits all. There are many options out there, it can take some patience and trial and error. Or you could be one of the lucky ones who gets it right the first time!

Tags
menopause

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register