Estrogen Metabolism & Chronic Illness | Hormone and Menopause Central | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estrogen Metabolism & Chronic Illness Estrogen Metabolism & Chronic Illness

Unread 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Estrogen Metabolism & Chronic Illness

Hello,

I was stable and feeling well on my vivelle dot dosage for 2 yrs, following 2 yrs of trial & error to get it right after a total hysterectomy at age 35. This past January, I started experiencing signs of high estrogen (acne, weight gain, breast pain, irritability). Upon testing, my levels had spiked to levels that would have been high for a pre-menopausal woman.

I began slowly reducing my patch, since in the past I've been extremely sensitive to even small changes (body-wide pain and severe depression with low estrogen), but it made no difference - my body still couldn't seem to detox from it. At my doctor's advice, I went off cold turkey. To my great surprise, it still took weeks to reduce my breast pain, and have my first hot flash - which disappeared soon after.

I've now been off of all hormones completely for over two months. My blood levels read zero, but I still feel like I have yet to detox from all the exess estrogen, and I can't seem to get the weight off despite eating impeccibly (I gained 25 lbs in 3 months due to spike in estrogen). I am however, having intense hot flashes & night sweats now that make sleeping almost impossible.

For a fuller picture, I'm also struggling with mold toxicity, lyme, and autoimmune disesase - all of which can cause hot flashes and night sweats.

My questions for you:

1) Has anyone else experienced a sudden inability to metabolize/process estrogen after years of stability? How did you deal with that?

2) If my hot flashes & night sweats are due to low estrogen, how long will those last, given that my dose (0) is now stable?

I'm too nervous to go back on estrogen until I can heal my liver. I fear I'll continue to bounce around and it will be impossible to regulate until my detox pathways are working properly.

Thoughts & advice appreciated!

P.S. I am allergic to progesterone so any of the natural hormone support supplements that promote progesterone (vitex, pregnenalone, etc.)are out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Re: Estrogen Metabolism & Chronic Illness

I'm glad you found us and joined so that you have a place to come for information and support.

I don't have any experience of my own to share, but wanted to be sure you were welcomed as a new member. Sometimes it takes a while before someone comes along who can relate but on a site the size of this one, it usually happens eventually! Meanwhile, you may be able to find some help in our Resource Database.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register