To hrt or not? feel horrible on or off | Hormone and Menopause Central | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To hrt or not? feel horrible on or off To hrt or not? feel horrible on or off

Unread 07-14-2017, 06:31 PM
To hrt or not? feel horrible on or off

Hi all...I had hysterectomy a yr and half ago but then my ovaries started causing me a lot of pain so had those taken out in April. Im trying hrt but find it very frustrating. the creams didn't work, now I am on a patch and feel totally periody and achy which is one of reasons I had ovaries taken out. I think progesterone makes me depressed and my breasts sore so whenever I go off it I feel better but its temporary like a placebo affect??? I don't think im giving things enough time to settle before switching to something else but after 5-6 days I feel I can tell if its working or not. I feel like im going crazy. when my hormones are low my vision is all blurry and its very hard to focus and I get major brain fuzz. I don't want to be on hormones but everyone is trying to tell me to stick it out. I have a history for depression and anxiety (which I think all stems to the hormones) so I scared out of my mind to not be on them but then sometimes I think I would be better off. I just don't know what to do. oh and my allergies are insane. im miserable in the summer now, ever since my hormones started acting up. If anyone has any suggestions or similar experiences I would love to hear from you. I feel like this is never going to end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2017, 06:53 PM
Re: To hrt or not? feel horrible on or off

Progesterone is the hormone that's dominant in your system the week before your period, i.e., PMS week. Some women tolerate it well, others don't. Depression isn't an uncommon side effect. If you have a history of depression and anxiety, I'd suggest being wary of it.

Have you talked to your doctor about doing ERT (estrogen replacement therapy)? In other words, replacing the estrogen without the progesterone?
Unread 07-20-2017, 10:57 AM

Hi frustrated. I feel your pain, for sure.

I never, ever have felt right on any HRT. I keep asking myself "how can this be doing this, this is supposed to be bioidentical"

Anyway, I couldn't do transdermals because I would bloat so badly and my numbers would skyrocket. At one point, a lab tech dr pointed out that most likely my liver wasn't clearing the estrogen bi products right so I was basically having symptoms of too low and too high same time.

To make a long story short, I found I couldn't do any of the bioidenticals even though emotionally they made me feel better. I finally settled on premarin because it made me the feel the least worst.

Last year, I switched away from pharma estrogens to DHEA and pregenenolone and did really great.

Then this summer I ended up adding back in the lowest dose of premarin due to the heat. I possibly could have upped dhea, but was a bit wary of doing that.

Just recently I read this: DHEA and DHEAS serve as the precursors of approximately 50% of androgens in men, 75% of active estrogens in premenopausal women, and 100% of active estrogens after menopause

I'd also suggest NAC for allergies. Its awsome. And seems to help sleep too.

My point is, sometimes we have to think outside the box. The "box" in my view is what is FDA approved, Big Pharma manufactured and sold and western medicine. Works for some, but not necessarily for all.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM

Omg thank you so much for your reply! I will definitely look into everything you mentioned. What is NAC?
Unread 07-20-2017, 11:47 AM

N-acetyl cysteine
Unread 07-20-2017, 01:38 PM

yes but then my anxiety spikes.
Unread 07-20-2017, 01:42 PM

what was your starting dose of the DHEA and preg? When you were on the premarin did you take anything else at the same time or did you take it alone?
Unread 07-21-2017, 02:17 AM

Yes, I tried taking transdermals with premarin. Emotionally would feel great, but my BP would spike terribly, night sweats, etc. I never understood how the patches and gels made my meno sysmptoms worse, not better.

I started with 10 mg dhea while still on a low dose of premarin, went up to 25. this was oral not sublingual. With the sublinual dhea I felt like I was getting too much.

Pregnenolone I started later due to the tiredness and fogginess I couldn't get past. It makes a world of difference in brain function for me.
Unread 07-21-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
Yes, I tried taking transdermals with premarin. Emotionally would feel great, but my BP would spike terribly, night sweats, etc. I never understood how the patches and gels made my meno sysmptoms worse, not better.

I started with 10 mg dhea while still on a low dose of premarin, went up to 25. this was oral not sublingual. With the sublinual dhea I felt like I was getting too much.

Pregnenolone I started later due to the tiredness and fogginess I couldn't get past. It makes a world of difference in brain function for me.
I would love to know ur whole story and everything you've gone through. I think we may be quite similar.
Unread 07-24-2017, 12:29 PM

6 and counting: did you test your dhea before starting it? My blood levels showed it was normal. I have been itching to try it. Any side effects? I am on Premarin 0.9mg but feel something is missing. Can I take dhea with Premarin? My sleep and mood is bad again. Should I just start with nac? How does this help with sleep?

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register