HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long before you can lift anything? How long before you can lift anything?

Unread 09-24-2002, 08:30 PM
How long before you can lift anything?

Like say a 23 lb. child? We need to decide what we are going to do with the baby when husband goes back to work. A lady who is young 22 said she could lift her babies at 4 weeks ok(she had a C-Section) How long with a hysterectomy? I want to take careof myself now so I don't have to do anything like this again!!!!!!! I have to lift him in and out of bed for naps and things so I need an idea of when so I can plan! I have less than 2 weeks left before my date can't believe I'm not freaked out! Although the thought of the stitches makes me kinda sick (actually just seeing them makes me sick)!!!
Thanks for any info you can give me!!!
Cally
Unread 09-24-2002, 08:55 PM

Hi Cally,

My dr was pretty liberal with post-op restrictions. I was able to do stairs right away and was given the OK to drive at my 1 wk post op appt. He released me to start back to normal activity at 4 wks.........except lifting my 11 mo old granddtr. He told me to avoid that until about 12 wks. I've often wondered how moms with young children manage. Why don't you give the dr's office a call and ask what is the normal instructions for this.....it's a reasonable question since you have to plan. I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to say.

Good luck to you!
Unread 09-24-2002, 09:11 PM

Everyone is different. Check with your Dr. for this. Mine told me for 2 weeks I could lift nothing heavier than 5 lbs, then up to the 6th week nothing heavier than 15 lbs. He also told me because of the extensive repairs inside ( tacking every thing up 'cause my tilted uterus had displaced most stuff ) that I would NEVER be allowed to lift anything over 30 lbs. Otherwise I would risk landing in the hospital again to have repairs redone. This happened to my mom, twice, after her hyesterectomy at age 35, I am 50.

Patty
Unread 09-25-2002, 12:24 AM

Hi Cally

You definitely have to check with your Doctor, they are all different on the lifting restrictions. In my case it was lift nothing heavier than 5 lbs until 11 weeks post op.

I have 5 children, and when I had my Hyster, my two youngest kids were 3 & 1 so I know just what you are going through.
My Mom and Dad stayed with us until I was almost 3 weeks PO, then they had to go home. My DH works out of town from 7am to 7pm. So what I did was, I let the two little ones eat sitting on the floor, so I didn't have to pick my 1 yr old up to put her in her high chair, and take her out. At nap time I made a little bed for her on the floor, so I would not have to pick her up and put her in the crib, or take her out of the crib. Then when my older kids who were 15, 13, & 9 at the time got home from school, they helped out.

Do you have any friends or relatives that could come and help you out?

I hope you find a solution that works best for you.

Take Care
Unread 09-25-2002, 02:50 AM

My doctor says the weight restriction is for the entire recovery period which she considers 3 months!! My restriction is 5 lbs. When I go back to work, I won't even be able to put paper in the copier!! As far as the stitches go, I don't have any visible stitches. Everything is internal and after my hair grows back, you'll only be able to see about an inch on each side of the scar and it's really thin. Mine's what they call a bikini cut. I flat out asked my dr what she intended to do and if I'd have staples and such. She gave me the worst case scenario and needless to say I was pleased with the outcome. Good luck to you!
Unread 09-26-2002, 02:19 AM
POST OP LIFTING

Hi Cally ,
Sounds like recovery at your house will be a busy time!
I am just now four weeks and wouldn't dare to lift a child of any weight, I can carefully move a five pound bag of potatoes or a twelve pack of soda IF i pick it up slowly and well balanced.

My Dr said five pounds and I dont get clearance for six weeks. I am still needing help to put a ham or roasting chicken in and out of the oven. I thought I could handle a three pound pork loin and nearly dropped dinner!!

My big concern is toddlers are so wiggly that you won't be lifting a stable twenty pound weight but one that has arms and legs and can twist in ways you might not be healed for.

I thought the suggestions for floor naps and picnics were great. It will be interesting to see what your doctor's take on this is?
Good luck and you are smart to be planning ahead!

xo
betsy TAH Aug 28 kept ovaries
ndeelou2 in chat
Unread 09-26-2002, 04:37 AM

Hi Cally,

I have a grandson who was 9 months old the day I had my surgery. I take care of him during the day while my daughter is at work so I had the same concerns.

Before surgery I got him used to taking naps on a quilt on the floor. After surgery, as soon as I was able to comfortably get down on the floor and back up I spent most of the time down there with him, that way he could be cuddled and get close to me and I didn't have to lift him. I changed him on his quilt, and fed him there also. I did keep a pillow over my tummy most of the time so he didn't accidentally hurt me.

Also, my DH took the week after surgery off so he took over baby duty that week; after that my mom came and stayed with us during the day until my DR gave me the ok to get back to normal. The first few weeks she stayed all day, then at about 4 weeks she'd leave around noon time since he'd nap in the afternoon, and my DS would be home from school around 2:30 if there were any problems.

I was given vague instructions regarding lifting - arm lifting only, nothing that would require the use of the abdominal muscles.

Best wishes!
Unread 09-26-2002, 05:21 AM
Thank You All!!!

This is most helpful and gives me a general idea of what to expect. Your suggestions are wonderful and I appreciate the ideas!!!
Thank You
Cally

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.