Pets during chemo question | Cancer Concerns - GYN | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pets during chemo question Pets during chemo question

Unread 09-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Pets during chemo question

I start chemo Monday. My three dogs think they are supposed to sleep with me every night. They did okay sleeping with my husband in the guest room after my surgery. But they really want to be with me. We have a baby gate and plan on trying our hardest to keep them out of my room. They have all been looked over by a vet recently to make sure they are healthy.

Just wondering did any of you who had chemo take special measures about being around your pets or did you just keep things like normal with them?

Any suggestions would be so appreciated. They are my babies and of course I want to be around them as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Re: Pets during chemo question

I had low-dose chemo (cisplatin) and my white blood count never got too low. At the time I had two cats, one of whom slept on me at night and both of whom were physically affectionate. I never had any problems with the cats, their litter box, etc. They were a huge comfort to me. :-)

I had my blood tested weekly to make sure everything was okay. Ask your doc how often yours is going to be tested. As long as your WBC is okay, I would think that you'll be fine with the dogs.
Unread 09-09-2017, 03:52 PM

Thank you Surprised. That is a great question. I just added it to my list for my doctor on Monday. Since I am getting chemo once every three weeks, it is my understanding I will get labs done the day before each time. For me the day before will be on Friday (went yesterday) since I will get treatment on Mondays. This is all of course if things are going well and on schedule which I earnestly pray they do.

So glad you made it good with your cats...that makes me feel much better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2017, 07:47 PM

I have a herd of Wayward Cats. I live alone so no one to do the scooping. I aam getting chemo every third week too. My Dr. was not thrilled but the Onc. nurse was supportive.

I wear a mask and gloves when I scoop or wash the boxes. Double glove when my counts are low.Wash hands obsessively.

I have had all mine for years so I am probably pretty immune to whatever they may have and most things are not transferable - like colds.

Two share my room and sleep with me but I also cuddle wit the other groups (separated because of personality conflicts).

You are most at risk from feces, urine bites and scratches - saliva may be bad too but not as much I think.

I would say do as normal but if someone else can pick up poo, so much the better.

Good luck and always glad to see another animal lover.
Unread 09-10-2017, 11:58 PM

I don't do the box, luckily have other people who can do that. But my cat (and kid) will be in my bed. I'll be getting chemo on days 1,2,3,8 and 15 (21 day cycle) this go around so I don't really have much of a good period where counts are high. I'm honestly more worried about all my kids friends as we go into cold/flu season.
Unread 09-11-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
...I'm honestly more worried about all my kids friends as we go into cold/flu season.
That's a good point. You're probably used to whatever your cats or dogs have. It's what other people have that you have to be worried about.

Some years back, a friend of mine had chemo for lung cancer. She was fine with her cats. But she had to work from home (on the weeks when she felt well enough to work) because she worked in a busy office with lots of clients in and out all the time. Ironically, it's a community AIDS organization. Her oncologist told her that the problem wasn't people with HIV/AIDS - it was people who had colds!
Unread 09-12-2017, 11:00 PM

My mom had lung cancer and was on some very heavy duty chemo that not only left her feeling wiped out but would wipe out her white blood cells leaving her with neutropenia. she had 2 dogs and a cat and did not have to do anything special about them and no they never made her sick. The cat slept with her all the time.

I can not recall what her doctor had said about pets as it has been too many years now but I do know my mom did not change a thing and when I would go down to take her to chemo and spend a few days with her my 2 dogs went too so there were then 4 dogs in her house.

I think you are more in danger when you are out in crowds of people then you are when you are home with your pets.
Unread 09-13-2017, 08:26 PM

I had cats when I had chemo. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and they kept sleeping in my bed. My oncologist was more concerned about what I'd catch from other humans not animals.
Unread 09-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Pets during chemo question

I had to do low dose chemo every week and didn't do anything special with my dog. He was always with me while I was sick. He behaves better during my treatments.
Unread 09-17-2017, 05:52 PM

I had a zoo, cats, dogs and horses (15). I never changed my time with my pets because of the chemo, but none of the dogs slept in my bed. Barns are dusty etc ( mice birds and such), never was of much concern. But as a few others my white blood cell count was always ok, not too low.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register