HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Colitis Question Colitis Question

Unread 09-30-2002, 03:34 PM
Colitis Question

I am having hoards of problems with my belly at 12 weeks post op. Belly will only tolerate very limited activity and absolutely nothing touching it. I have a giant bulldog clip on my seatbelt to keep it off my belly. If I'm active or something touches it, I spend my time on the sofa with ice packs. There is also some leg pain involved. Dr. says its probably inflamed colon or colitis. I have had no cramps, diarrhea, nausea or constipation. Most of the colitis info indicates exercise will help to resolve it. Everytime I exercise the pain increases. How do I get over this? Anyone else have colitis like this?

Thanks for any info,
Nancy
Unread 10-01-2002, 04:45 AM
Colitis Question

Hi Nancy,

I don't suffer from colitis, but can't help but wonder if maybe you shouldn't seek a second opinion. I'm not a Dr. and don't wish to second-guess yours, but it seems as if something else may be going on.

I suggest you either speak to your Dr. again to more fully discuss your symptoms (and lack of other symptoms) or perhaps seek an opinion from a different Dr.

Let us know how you make out, ok?

Best wishes and s
Unread 10-01-2002, 06:04 AM
Colitis Question

Which doctor did you ask? Your GP or the gyn who did your surgery? I second the suggestion to ask another doctor.

Did you have colitis before the surgery? If not WHY should you have it now? Its a pretty "safe" answer for your surgeon because if a gastro couldn't find a reason after tests they would just chalk it up to "irritable bowel syndrome" and he/she's still in the clear.

This is one time I would request and insist on a copy of the surgical report. If the surgeon won't give it to you, ask for a copy from the hospital where it was performed. You have a legal right to a copy so don't let them stall you or put you off.

Just your asking your surgeon for a copy of the report might spur him to be a little more concerned about your discomfort. Shake the tree a little.
Unread 10-01-2002, 08:04 AM
Update... adhesions

I too thought the colitis theory was a little lame. But I felt I should throw it out there for input. The GYN that did my surgery sent me back to my GP because she said my problems are not surgery related. My GP sent me to a GI doc, who said 'see ya, not a GI problem'. My GP also sent me to another GYN, and it is the 2nd GYN that said I have an inflamed colon. However, the 2nd GYN also sent me to see a surgeon this morning. The surgeon believes I have adhesions.

I'm going to see him again next week to set up a lap. I just pray they can be lysed easily and do not return to this degree.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Nancy
Unread 10-01-2002, 09:08 AM
Colitis Question

Hurrah for your GP "and" that second gyn! Spiteful ole broad that I am I hope that you are sure to spread the word about the gyn who did your surgery and what an uncaring, unfeeling, less than truthful QUACK she is! Either that or she is just plain STUPID. Adhesions should have come to her mind immediately.

Do read up all you can on adhesions before agreeing to anything and be sure to ask lots of questions and trust your instincts on what the answers are. You're going to want a doctor is right up front with you and who answers your questions to your satisfaction. They can't predict 100% but they should be willing to discuss pros and cons and to answer your questions. You don't need another "ditz" like the gyn who did your surgery. No one can predict adhesions or why some people get them and others don't but they are a risk of just about any abdominal surgery and that gyn who did your surgery should have been willing to discuss your problems with you instead of going on the defensive immediately and hanging you out to dry.

Good luck and God bless! (((hugs))).
Unread 10-01-2002, 12:40 PM
Yup, Love my GP

Yes, I love my GP. 1st time I saw him I was crying "I have made a horrible mistake" He's listened to me. Last time I saw him I was beggining him 'please don't think I'm crazy'. lol I know that he has been on the phone with these other Drs. I had spoke to his office earlier and left him a message about adhesions. He just called back, but I had been asleep & didn't get up to answer the phone. He did leave a message though. I plan to do something to show my appreciation.

I had already suspected adhesions, and have done some reading. I was the one that threw the "A" word out there this morning, and the surgeon didn't even flinch. Just said "Nancy, I think that's what you have" I really liked the guy. My gutt instincts were good. I had told DH if he doesn't give me warm fuzzies, I'm not using him. Dr. said he sees it every day, and they are having good luck with removing them in a lap. See, I had a cuff cellulitis that was not diagnosed/treated until my 6 week checkup. I'm hoping that may be what spurred the adhesions, and after they are zapped, I pray they may not come back to this degree. I will talk with him again before the surgery. I'm going to give him a try. He was not in his office this morning, he met me at the hospital.

Thanks again,
Nancy
Unread 10-01-2002, 03:11 PM
Colitis Question

Ahhhhhhhhh. Hear my big sigh of relief for you??? Its sounds like you are now in good hands. Bless your GP's heart. God bless a good GP, they are the saving grace of today's medical profession! I wouldn't know what to do without mine. I've been so blessed to have found three really good GPs in my lifetime. Sadly two had the audacity to die on me. I miss them very much but have been lucky to finally find another good one.

Good luck, you will be in my prayers and it sounds like in very good hands as well.
Unread 10-01-2002, 04:04 PM
Colitis Question

Where do they think the adhesions are that they are giving you so much trouble? I have had years of trouble with them myself and have had them wrapped around my bowels. You need to be careful about future surgeries, the more you have the more adhesions you will get. I had a TAH in August and while cutting the adhesions off my GYN cut a whole in my bladder! So myself and two other Hyster-Sisters with Fisutlas are going in for bladder repair surgery this month.

I wish you luck and will pray this surgery is a sucess for you.

Barbara22
Unread 10-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Colitis Question

Adhesions probably on bowel ... & don't know where else. It feels like everything in me is stuck to the abdominal wall. There is some nerve involvement with the left leg 'cause it's difficult to walk at times.

I don't know what to do - I can't live like this though. I felt confident after seeing the surgeon this morning... I'm beginning to get scared again.

-njg
Unread 10-02-2002, 05:46 AM
Colitis Question

Sorry, Didn't mean to scare you but sometimes the Doctors don't tell you this stuff. My surgery around the bowels was very sucessful and hardly any time to recover from it. You really need to have it done because it will only get worse. You are going to feel so great when this is all over.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,

Barbara

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.