tired and hurting 8wks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

tired and hurting 8wks post-op tired and hurting 8wks post-op

Unread 10-02-2002, 11:58 AM
tired and hurting 8wks post-op

Hi all,

I'm half way through my second week of returning to work and today is hard!! I've been feeling pretty good until today. I'm dragging my feet, but mostly I'm having pain...swelly belly too. I'm kinda depressed about it. I was thinking life was getting to be normal again. I also am having IBS problems. I went to a GI yesterday and now I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy 10/11 and he is thinks I have an ulcer, so he will put a scope dowm my throat too. I'm tired of the poking and proding.

Well I guess I just needed to vent...thanks for listening to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2002, 02:36 PM

Hi lorfrost I'm sorry about all the troubles... it's hard when you're just starting to recover from the hyst and now you've got GI troubles. I know, I had diverticulitis at a month post op. Had all the tests, including the colonoscopy. If you haven't had one before, don't worry, it's not really that bad. They give you something to make you very, very relaxed and you won't even remember most of it. The prep is worse than the exam on that one.

I haven't had the scope down the throat but I have had it up my nose before (for adenoids and sinus problems)... without any medication first! Even that didn't hurt, it just felt kind of creepy... hopefully though you'll be medicated for that one just like the colonoscopy.

There are a lot of us who've had GI troubles after our hysts... most are posting over on the Road Less Traveled forum on this site. You might want to post over there about the IBS because there are several wonderful ladies there who have IBS. Just a thought.

Hope they find out what the problem is and you get some relief soon. Meanwhile, please remember you are still a and try to take it a little easier, that will help the swelly belly.
s,
-Linda
Unread 10-02-2002, 04:57 PM

My new d-i-l had the scope down her throat, at dr.s office. They gave her something that made her very relaxed. She told me that she doesn't remember much of anything.

I'm going in for a colonoscopy Nov 4. The prep sounds like the worst part of the whole thing. I'm dreading that part. Sounds worse than prep for hys. At least you are out of it at the hospital for the actual test.

Post or e-mail me and let me know how it goes on the 11.

and best wishes go with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2002, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am very nervous for the colonoscopy because my hyst. surgery was only 8 weeks ago. I'm tring hard to get my strenth back from that, I hope this doesn't slow it down more. I've had a colonoscopy 5 yrs. ago and they found a polip. It was the kind that could become cancerous. My dr at the time told me once they remove those, they have a tendancy to grow siblings. I'm not as concerned of that as to how I'll feel afterwards. I had really bad spasms that time. I had to go to the ER for it the next day.

I hope I don't sound like a complainer, I'm just used to being very active and healthy. This is a struggle for me at times. I'm sure lots of you can relate to that. I really am glad I have you to help me get through it. I'll be a good mentor for the new princesses when I get through this. Can't wait for that.
Unread 10-03-2002, 01:01 PM

- and don't worry, you WILL get through this. I understand your fear, I had my colonoscopy about 9 weeks after my hyst. Just tell the GI doc you are scared because of that. Mine was extra gentle. I wasn't even sore afterwards.
I hope this eases your mind a little.
s,
-Linda
Unread 10-03-2002, 06:18 PM
tired and hurting to boot

fyi- colonoscopy itself is not uncomfortable and there is no pain from the procedure afterward. I've had two colonoscopies in the past 6 yrs., with polyps removed both times and neither remember the procedure (god bless verset), nor had any problems after it, other than taking it easy for the remainder of the day... The prep USED TO BE the worst part of the test. Now, it doesn't have to be-- I had my last one done with the use of visicol tablets. These small tablets are a great alternative to the vile tasting liquid prep. just ask your gastro doc for a rx for visicol, which is just the pill form of sodium phosphate. You have to swallow a total of 40 tiny pills. The evening before, you take 3 pills with a glass of water, every 15 minutes for a total of 20 (last dose is 2). The day of- 3-5 hrs. beforehand, you repeat the process. Most people aren't aware of this alternative, but after trying it, I will never take the liquid prep again!
Hope this helps alleviate some of the fear of being scoped.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register