HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Have cough 10 days before surgery! Help! Have cough 10 days before surgery! Help!

Unread 10-05-2002, 07:05 AM
Have cough 10 days before surgery! Help!

I am trying desperately to rid myself of this tickly cough. I know its allergy related. I started sneezing Monday and now I have this horrible drainage causing cough. Any suggestions? I don't want to be canceled! I've been loading up on my vitamins and taking delsym cough syrup and sudafed.
Thanks, Trudy
Unread 10-05-2002, 07:13 AM

Hi Trudy!

I'm so sorry about your congestion/tickly cough. Whether it's allergy or cold related, I think you're smart to be concerned; you can't have surgery if you're congested.

I have found that simple hot, steamy showers/baths help clear mine up. Also a decongestant?

It wouldn't hurt to call and see what your DR's office might suggest. You can be sure they would be just as concerned about your lungs being clear prior to surgery as you.

Take care, sweetie! Hope this does clear up for you!

s,
Unread 10-05-2002, 07:32 AM

Hi Trudy, calling your Dr really is a good idea. They do want us in as good health as possible for surgery. I found my dr very supportive any time I called with questions or concerns. He/she would know what would help you most right now. I got a slight cold about a week pre op also & called , it cleared right up with his help. I'll keep you in my prayers. s
Unread 10-05-2002, 01:03 PM

Hello, I'm scheduled the day after you and I'm sick too. I've tried Vicks 44 D. It seems to help me. I'm like you don't want to resschedule. I think mine is the flu though. The other night I had a hard time staying warm. i was freezing all night. The next morning I woke up and I could feel fever blister.Small then but now its big one on top and one on bottom lip. I go to the doctor on tuesday for my pre-op. I'm going to ask him about my cold. Take care and lets pray that we both will be at the castle on our days.
Unread 10-05-2002, 03:08 PM

I recently had an operative laparoscopy, d&c, hysteroscopy, and thermal ablation...it wasn't a hysterectomy, but surgery nonetheless (2hrs. being under gen. anesthesia) and I too developed an allergy related cold/cough/drainage/sneezing. This was 14 days before my surgery. I FLEW into the family doctor when I realized after about 3 days that it was only getting worse, not better. I told the doctor of my impending surgery and my concerns and he told me I was very smart for getting in and it was the right decision since I was to have surgery soon. He gave me some samples of Allegra, enough to last a week, and by that afternoon, after having taken the first one, I could notice a difference. He gave me specific instructions that if I didn't notice an improvement in 3 days, to get back asap. My rationalizing was that if I needed an antibiotic, which usually stretch 10 days, I had enough time. Luckily, things worked out the way they did, and I was completely over my allergy outbreak with 2 days to spare...whew!!! I'd definitely consider going to the doctor to help you get over your cough. Hope it all works out. esa

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.