HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

vaginal hysterectomy---when do the vaginal stitches begin to dissolve? vaginal hysterectomy---when do the vaginal stitches begin to dissolve?

Unread 10-10-2002, 10:14 PM
vaginal hysterectomy---when do the vaginal stitches begin to dissolve?

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on 9/11/2 and my doctor has mentioned a few times to me that I shouldn't be surprised if I have a bright red discharge, which usually means that the vaginal stitches are dissolving....on 10/11/2 it will be 30 days post op for me and so far nothing like that has happened to me yet...has anyone out there who has also had a vaginal hysterectomy been through this yet? If so, about how long after your surgery did this happen? I have been wearing a pad everyday in anticipation of this happening but so far nothing! Thanks!

Lisa
Unread 10-10-2002, 10:39 PM

Hi Lisa Not to worry, we're all different, but I think my experience was about average, from what I've read here. I just had a very slight yellowish orangish pinkish discharge at around 5 to 6 weeks and a couple of little tiny bits of purple thread showed up on the panty liner, and that was it. No fanfare, no big flood. Then at my 6 week checkup my DR told me they were all gone!
Hope this eases your mind a little.
s,
-Linda
Unread 10-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Thank you

Hi there!
Thank you for your reply...I guess anything is possible, perhaps even nothing! You are wonderful! I have read many of the responses you have provided to other sisters, and they are always so helpful and positive!!!

Lisa
Unread 10-10-2002, 11:39 PM

I had tvh 4.23.02 and saw my doc at 4 weeks post op. I asked her about the stitches. She told me it can take up to 120 days for them to disolve (since the area is moist). She did give me heads up about disharge and or spotting I might have as they were disolving; tho I never had any bleeding, spotting or discharge after I was 3 days post.

Happy Healing!

Amy
Unread 10-11-2002, 05:04 AM

Hi

7 weeks post here, I have never had any discharge, stitches or otherwise since day 1. From everything Ive seen here, se do have it, some don't. At my 6 week I asked my dr. if the stitches had healed/disolved he said not yet it takes up to 3 months for that.
Unread 10-11-2002, 07:11 AM

Hi Sisters,

I had my TVH, kept the ovaries, bladder and recetal repairs on Aug 15/02. I had spotting and discharge for 5 1/2 wks. It is so nice now, not wearing a pad!

Take care. Couters
Unread 10-11-2002, 09:04 AM
4 Week checkup yesterday & still have all stitches

Hi Lisa,

I had my 4 week checkup yesterday, first internal and Dr. said ALL stitches are still there. I don't go back for another 3 weeks now for another internal. I did have 1 week checkup to remove external stitches only. I've had some spotting for the last week but that has since stopped also. Dr said I may or maynot see them when they dissolve. Just warned me in case I do.
Unread 10-11-2002, 09:23 AM

They start dissolving at 3 or 4 weeks. I had a weird odor, but no discharge or blood no sign at all. At 6 weeks, dr looked and told me I still had two or three stitches left, that would probably be gone in a week. No blood is good news for you!

Good luck, Teena
Unread 10-11-2002, 10:30 AM
vaginal stitches

Hey, I had my TVH on 9/23 and I wish I knew the answer to that. I have been bleeding the whole time. Not heavy or anything but I do wear a pad all day. Let me know if you find out. I hope all is going well other wise and you are not doing to much.

shellybean

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.