HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Scar tissue & bladder repair Scar tissue & bladder repair

Unread 10-12-2002, 01:57 PM
Scar tissue & bladder repair

Hello,

I had my LAVH/BSO on 7 June 2002. This was my 4th surgery in 3 years. My 3 previous surgeries were for cysts on my right ovary. About 3 months after my 3rd surgery, Oct 2000, I developed pain on my right side (that is the side that the cysts kept developing on my ovary). At first it was managable but then it became debilitating in March of this year. Surgeon suspected scar tissue and decided that if I was going to have surgery again (this was a new surgeon) that he was going to do a hyst. I was thrilled. During my surgery they found 2 large "pieces" of scar tissue. The surgeon used a gel to help minimize scar tissue from reforming. I was told that if you are going to develop scar tissue it will be within 7 days of surgery. For me it always seems to be at 3 months and sure enough, last month (the 3 month mark from my hyst) I developed the same pain on my right side. I know it is scar tissue. Needless to say I immediately became depressed about it. At first I wasn't going to say anything to anyone and just try and tough it out but then realized that I did nothing wrong and it is something that just happens. My DH has been very supportive through ALL of this and I have to admit that when I told him I felt like a big weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. His face fell when I told him, he felt so bad for me because he knew how good I was feeling. At first I thought I would try and tough it out for a few months but the other morning I realized that that probably wasn't a good idea and called my dr and have an appointment for this coming Friday. I'm sure my only option is to have lapriscopic surgery to "free up" the scar tissue. But as before I know that the chance always exists that it will come back. Why can't I win the lottery as often as I get scar tissue? LOL! I also have noticed since my hyst that when I cough, sneeze, laugh or just move too suddenly that I leak a drop or too. So my questions are: 1) Who else has developed scar tissue after a hyst and what did you do about it? and 2) is it possible for them to fix my "leaking" problem at the same time?
I'm also concerned about missing more time from work. My supervisor was not at all supportive when I was out for 8 weeks. Somehow I have to make sure that my job is protected.

Thanks for listening and responding. It feels "different" being on the "Road Less Traveled" as opposed to "Post Op" but I'm sure the support is just as fantastic.

Thank you all,
Patti
Unread 10-12-2002, 04:55 PM
Scar tissue & bladder repair

Patti,
Have you talked with your doctor about the leaking problem? Perhaps you should consult a uro-gyn or a urologist. The leaking problem may be something that can be fixed with meds.

Unfortunately with scar tissue it can be a vicious circle. Each surgery you have can cause more scar tissue to form. Especially if your surgeon isn't an expert in scar tissue removal. There's some really good info at www.adhesions.org

I'm sorry you're having problems so soon after your latest surgery. JMHO I think you should research your options before you undergo another surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.