HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Blood test for hormone levels? Blood test for hormone levels?

Unread 10-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Blood test for hormone levels?

I just called my doc and asked her if she would do blood test to see if my hormones are okay. Her answer was "no". She said she doesn't believe it's my hormones. I'm doing so much better now but I still get weepy at certain times, in church when I hear something touching I cry. I cry sometimes when I didn't cry before the hyst and I'd like to have blood drawn to make sure the levels are okay. My TAH/BSO was 2 years ago in February and I've never had a doctor check the levels with blood or any other way. They just go by what I have to say. Yes, I've had problems with depression in the past but I'm really not depressed now, I'm doing good other than these crying jags.

Why wouldn't she pull blood on me? I didn't talk to my doctor, it was her nurse who called me back. Should I find a new doctor? I don't know what to do. Maybe the levels are fine but I'd like to see it in black and white. Most of the women I talk to have blood levels pulled to check their hormones and a friend of mine encouraged me to get my blood drawn so I'd know for sure.

It really surprised me when my doc said no. I don't understand.

Why did he do this?
Unread 10-15-2002, 03:15 PM

i do know that alot of dr's (and women for that matter) don't believe that hormone testing is accurate. i have heard of some women having "normal" levels and feel terrible....and others have "abnormal" levels and feel great. so......who knows? i also suspect this has something to do with insurance co.'s!
Unread 10-15-2002, 03:43 PM
thanks

Dear Cynthia,

I've never heard that but thanks for telling me. That might explain it. Maybe my doc is one that doesn't believe in testing. She has told me before that I'm on the highest dose of progesterone she will put me on and that is what makes you feel good.

Thanks again,
Unread 10-15-2002, 03:53 PM

Kim,
While I do believe that symptoms are a better basis for what your levels should be, I do think that hormone testing can be a useful tool in finding your balance. If you are still having some symptoms of imbalance I don't see why your doctor won't test you, it certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

If you don't want to find another doctor and think that knowing your levels would be useful you could try saliva testing. You do not need a prescription for this and can order the test yourself. Of course it would be useful to have a doctor help you interpret the tests.

Are you taking the supplements recommended here www.hormonejungle.com/supp.php ? I had alot of problems finding and maintaining my balance until I added the supplements.

Unread 10-15-2002, 08:38 PM

Kim,

I haven't been taking my supplements regularly. I have a multi vitamin with Magnesium, zinc, folic acid and B6 in it but it doesn't do much good unless I take them. Thanks for reminding me.

I would like to get blood levels pulled just for my own satisfaction. I may try my PCP and see if he'll do it but if the levels need adjusting.......what do I do? Go back to the doc that didn't want a blood level done in the first place? I'm getting the horse before the cart, I need to get the levels done first and go from there.

I'm soooooooo disappointed with this doc about this test. I hate to find another one. It really bothers me that she isn't willing to work with me. I just don't get it.

P.S. Where can I get the saliva test?

Thanks
Unread 10-16-2002, 08:50 AM

my blood levels went from normal last april {6 months ago} meaning no menopause to total full blown post menopause. get back there and tell your doc to do your blood levels. i thought mine made a mistake, i couldnt believe it could happen so fast. the crying spells were a dead givaway.
Unread 10-16-2002, 03:22 PM

I've asked both gyns for blood test. (two opinions) One said it isn't necessary. I'm having periods, so I obviously have estrogen!

The other doctor said it doesn't prove too much. Our hormone levels are different each day and each month. It is too difficult to get a reading.

Both dismissed the testing...I think it would be so helpful!
Unread 10-17-2002, 06:20 AM

Hi There,

I posted a while back and here it is in a "nut shell." I started on a lower dose of estrogen (V.Dot) and all my night sweats & hot flashes went away. Within a year they started to return and I had blood work done. My estrogen level was at 29 where a year before that it was 66. My DR increased my dose and for now I don't have any night sweats or hot flashes. She had something to gauge for me what was right & not normal for me. Hope this helps. It certainly helped me.

Take Care & please keep us posted.

Sister Katie
Unread 10-17-2002, 07:12 AM
blood test for hormone levels

kim, i know just how you feel!! I am also having problems and requested my Dr. to have hormone levels done to see where my progesterone and testosterone levels are and she said the same thing "no". I am on climara .05 and feel that this is not enough that i need something else. I am having bladder problems, depression, crying bouts, and all kinds of sexual problems and just want to feel better. My dr either ups my climara to.075 or down to .05, there is no in between for her. There is a .25 and .50 dose why not try these, but no it has to be her way. The .75 was burning my skin under the patch and i knew this was too much and the .05 i know is not enough, apparently she doesn`t know about the inbetween doses....I know there are a lot of women who use the hrt and have to add progesterone or testosterone and someimes both to feel right. Apparently some dr`s don`t understand that we might know if our body is lacking something and don`t want to hear it :burning: Well i see my Dr. today and it will probably not be pretty, if she has no answers and still refuses to do the testing i will find someone else. But i am going to ask her,, how would you like to cry all day over nothing, or get angry and bite someone`s head off over some little thing and how would you like to try to be intimate with your dh just to be left crying after because nothing works anymore. Guess we just have to hang in there, take care
Unread 10-17-2002, 07:03 PM
Thanks

Sisters,

Thanks for the replies. I'm more determined than ever to get my blood level drawn. I'm going to my PCP next week to have it done. I'll go from there. If it's low, I'm probably going to see my hormone doc and see what she says. I think she's an intelligent lady and I'm not quite ready to give up on her. At this point I have to be patient and take it one day at a time.

Beverly, I understand about the crying spells. I wasn't this way before the hysterectomy so I feel sure there has to be a connection. Also, I understand about the sex. A few months after my hyst I didn't want my husband to even touch me. What helped me get over this was the hormones my doc put me on: Triest (estrogen) 1.25, progesterone 200 and testosterone .0625 in a troche that dissolves between my cheek and gum. This plus Wellbutrin got me on the road to wellville. I feel so, so, so much better that before. The brain fog has gone, lethargy has gone and sexual function returned. I know this hormone concoction has helped but I think it still needs tweaking. Actually, a psychiatrist put me on the Wellbutrin but this other doc has helped me so much I'm not ready to give up on her yet.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.