HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can staples be left in too long? Can staples be left in too long?

Unread 10-21-2002, 02:40 AM
Can staples be left in too long?

I am alergic to base metals. The back of my watch will break me out if I don't paint it with nail polish. Zippers against the skin are a big no no for me.

I had my surgery on 9-30-02. Staples were used to close. I am about 1oo lbs overweight. Dr. said he wanted to make sure I closed, so he did not remove any staples till 2 week post-op visit and then only every other one. The rest are SUPPOSE to come out today.

Just before 2 week Post-op visit my insicion started to pour a clear, yellowish stick fluid, about like egg whites(has some light amount of blood in it sometimes). I had to wear two overnight pads over incision and change 2 times a day to keep from leaking through to my clothing(incision is about 10 to 11 inches wide). Dr. said NO infection, but put me on antibiotics just to be safe.

Left half of incison no longer weeping now. I use only one overnighter over right side now and pad not soaked when changed, still twice a day. I shower daily using Betadine to clean incision and the perioxide is use to clean incision just before pad is put in place.

Center 4 or 5 staples have pulled away from top skin and I have an opening of about 3 inches in center of incision, but it just bearly leaks fluid. The Right side staples look to be grown into skin and are red around them and leakage comes from that area.

Could they have been in too long? How long do I have to face the weepy incision? Has any one else had this much leakage? How long will the center opening take to heal? Could I be allergic to the staples? I just reallized I sound like the OLD Batman 30 min TV show at closing with all the questions!!Hee Hee!! Forgive me for that!!

Patty
Unread 10-21-2002, 04:52 AM

Patty, The doctors seem to vary a lot on how long to leave staples in. Since it sounds like you are going in today to possibly have the rest removed, ask your doctor all these questions. I know that some ladies do have their incisions open and drain fluid. Make certain the doctor knows that you have a metal allergy also. I didn't have any drainage with mine. Just take all these questions with you today when you see the doctor. Make sure that you get answers that tell you what you want to know. Ask the question again if not. Let us know what the doctor tells you today.
Take care!
Unread 10-21-2002, 09:43 AM

Staples are now all out and I feel so much better!!!! No infection, just normal "weeping" Surgicial steel staples are not a problem with my allergies. Back home with feet up and enjoying my soaps!! What a life!! A girl could get use to this!!

Patty

TAH/BSO 9/30/02
Unread 10-21-2002, 10:00 AM

Patty, I'm glad the staples are now out and you have no signs of infection. I agree with the sitting with my feet up. I did get very use to that. I did mine for the entire 6 weeks like a good princess, and I don't regret one moment of my healing time. All that other stuff could just wait for someone else or until I was up to doing it.
I'm glad you're home and resting now.
Take care!
Unread 10-21-2002, 08:42 PM
Staples

Hey! Glad to hear you're doing better. I have the same base metal allergy. My staples were in for about 6 days and I was amazed that I had no reaction whatsoever. I have to paint non gold/silver/platinum jewelry with nail polish, too! I can't wear cheap anything! I find that putting a bandaid along a zipper that will touch my skin does wonders.

Best luck! I never watched soaps before this, but I'm hooked now!
Unread 10-21-2002, 09:18 PM

Hey Patty,

I got my staples out 4 days ago - I had them in for 13 days, BUT I also had the drain still connected since it was still draining that nasty fluid. My doc explained that without the drain, that fluid would open my incision and I would have to pack it with cotton (sounds like what you had to do) and not be able to go ANYwhere or do ANYthing, so of course although it was a pain, I kept it in and measured the fluid every day until it was putting out less than 20 cc's per day - did you go home from the hospital with a drain?? I am also overweight and the staples were an ordeal for me too - it was a big hurdle when they finally came out - so I totally know how good it feels to finally relax a little with the soaps now!!

Sheri_lp
Unread 10-21-2002, 09:30 PM

Sheri, I never had a drain, and my incision opened about 2 inches in the middle to about 1 inch wide, but no packing. I use gause at home to staunch the flow, but when I go out, I use left over sani-pads so I don't show a leak. Works really well!! I had half of the staples in for a full 3 weeks. The first half was removed at 2 weeks post-op.

Watson, thanks for the tip on the bandaid!! For jewlery, I like you am very limited, but I did find a company who makes truly hypoalergenic pierced ear rings, Whispers. They are inexpensive and do not break me out or cause an allergic reaction!!

Patty

TAH/BSO 9/30/02

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.