HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Change in hormones makes makes my deodorant ineffective Change in hormones makes makes my deodorant ineffective

Unread 10-30-2002, 10:16 AM
Change in hormones makes makes my deodorant ineffective

Has anyone else experienced this? I've been using Secret (solid sheer unscented) for years. I had a TAH/BSO on 9/10. Ever since then, my deodorant seems to be ineffective, and I have to reapply several times.

Does anyone else have this problem? If not, what brand are you using?

Jan
Unread 10-30-2002, 10:48 AM

Same thing happened to me....oddly enough, I still have my ovaries, but am having hot flashes and all sorts of other menopausal symptoms. Dr. says ovaries may be 'dead.' Greeeeat....ANYWAY, I used Secret, TOO.....and poof, it doesn't work, even if I put it on several times a day....know what I found that works? Suave Naturals Raspberry deodorant. It's cheaper than almost everything else, and one application daily takes care of business. Good luck!
Unread 10-30-2002, 11:17 AM

I thought the same thing, and I have used Secret for years. But then I think I decided that I had forgotten to use it!!!! Brain Fog strikes....mb
Unread 10-30-2002, 11:27 AM

I had that problem too. I thought maybe I just hadn't shook the can enough in the beginning. I've used Arrid aerosol for 15+ years.
Unread 10-30-2002, 05:06 PM

I had a TAH/BSO too and use Secret (solid clear) but I haven't noticed it not working. I hope I'm just not smelling myself. How have you noticed it wasn't working, smell or perspiration?

Wow, this website is great, even if I noticed my deodorant wasn't working, I don't think I would have thought it was related to my surgery.

Thanks!
Unread 10-30-2002, 06:34 PM

Secret is a popular brand, but not working very well for me, either.
I just told my Dr. this today, she had never heard of this. I guess I'll just have to experiment with different deoderants. I've used secret all my life.
Jen
Unread 10-31-2002, 01:02 AM

there have been earlier threads on this, so it seems to be quite common.
After my gall bladder was removed I found the same problem for a while, but it did settle back down, and surely can't have been hormonal then can it ?
I'm getting several different ones in stock to try for after my hyst !!!!
Vicky
Unread 10-31-2002, 07:16 PM

Hi Jan, I had the same problem. Secret was my regular brand, too. I switched to Secret Platinum, then tried Arrid, Ban, Suave and Lady's Choice. I tried different deodorant soaps, too. I even posted on here for advice. Finally I bought Sure Solid, unscented and so far that's the one that works. I would shower, shave, and use my deodorant and in just a couple of hours I was sweating through my clothes and I smelled like I hadn't used deodorant. Gross! So glad the Sure works! Sally
Unread 10-31-2002, 07:43 PM

Secret quit for me too. Maybe they changed the formula?? I use Suave now. I love all of the suave products anyway. It is working great. Weird huh? All of us the same thing.
Unread 11-01-2002, 08:16 PM

OK, we're all in the same boat, so there must be something to this. I went to the local grocery store and bought Suave Naturals (Pacific Breeze scent, as there was no unscented), and it is WONDERFUL. I even went to work at our church tonight...I work in the nursery/toddler area, and didn't break an underarm 'uncomfortableness' (if there is such a word).

Go Suave. They now have a new customer.

Jan

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.