HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

those that had large 5 month pg uterus size those that had large 5 month pg uterus size

Unread 10-31-2002, 10:21 AM
those that had large 5 month pg uterus size

my doc was looking in the file at my ultrasound results and looks at me and says 'very impressive' oh boy. well one dr told me i could loose 10-15 pounds, i tried on the light control cotton panties i got for after surgery and of course it didn't budge the brick in my belly. i've heard some here say that they lost a bunch, that even with the swelly belly with the fibroids and all that gone the felt and even looked thinner? i hope it's true, i think it's true , is it. also if you are fairly slim in the belly and even slimmer after doesn't the insision do better?
Unread 10-31-2002, 10:30 AM

I don't know what "PG" size I was, but my uterus was the size of a cantaloupe. I measured my belly around the biggest part the night before surgery. A few days out of the hospital, I measured again. It had gone down 1 1/2 inches. I'm now 22 days out. I just measured again, and it's down 2 1/4 inches from before surgery. I've been eating as much as I ever did, and of course have NOT been working out at the gym, so there's no "normal" weight loss going on. I guess the post op swelling is still going down, whatever there was of it. I did put on my jeans 10 days out from surgery and they fit about the same as they always did. I don't have a decent scale so I can't say how much weight I've lost by getting rid of the cantaloupe.
Unread 10-31-2002, 10:39 AM

wow neat, just out of the hospital and already slimmer, mines like 2 cantalopes side by side pretty much from hip bone to hip bone thicker in the middle, almost doubled in size since May, can't find to many of my clothes that fit anymore. and i'm unbuttoning my jeans under a big top by the end of the day.
Unread 10-31-2002, 10:45 AM

Ouch. TWO cantaloupes? You poor thing. I looked at a cantaloupe in the grocery store the other day. That really brought it home.

Do try to remember to measure before surgery, so you'll have some objective way to tell just how far down it goes. And let us know!
Unread 10-31-2002, 10:50 AM

why the TAH no way it's comming out any other way, well they are using the vertical c section scar, and i saw someone say they went above her belly button, well they are doing an umbilical hernia repair on me too. maybe hernia from carring brick of belly around... i'll measure... thanks.
Unread 11-01-2002, 01:28 PM

Hi sisters,

My uterus was the size of a 6 month pregnancy! how many canteloupes is that?

I lost 10 pounds after surgery and I was thin before I went in (except for belly). I have gained it back, but I am ok with that, I gained it back in different areas, good thing, I now have breasts! It is strange, but people say I look thinner but I weigh the same as I did before surgery. I will be happy when goes away for good!

My incision is already starting to shrink, it was a biggie, 7 1/2 inches across, used to be able to see the ends of it even with bikini underwear, can's see it anymore.

Terri
Unread 11-01-2002, 06:54 PM
5th month / cantaloupe ratio?!

I had my hysterectomy on 9-24. I have lost 20 pounds and my friends say that it looks like I gave birth, the effect is that dramatic on the reduction of my "baby" belly. My sil is 7 months pregnant and we looked neck and neck. Good luck!
Unread 11-01-2002, 10:30 PM

My uterus was the size of a 6 month pregnancy and after the surgery I was 10 lbs lighter...have lost almost 20 more since then. I am able to wear jeans that I hadnt worn in almost 2 years ..tho I still get that swelly belly now and then. I havent really been exercising all that much but my job keeps me active enough. I also have gone up a cup size ..never expected that!! All I know i s people tell me I look great..and I certainly feel great too..
Robin
Unread 11-04-2002, 06:47 AM

wow all this sounds great, and up a cup size too, what kind of harmones did they give you? just an inch below my belly button i measured and it said 42 inches without jeans or gridle holding it in., that's way bigger than my hips... looking forward to slim again.
Unread 11-04-2002, 07:37 AM

Hi there,
my uterus turned out to be 20 weeks in size from all those massive fibroids! The doc said that my incision healed so quickly and well because I wasn't fat!

I lost 10 lbs very easily after surgery. I'd like to lose more and am a little stalled right now. I get a lot of exercise, and do daily crunches which have helped tone up my belly area. But I do still have a flabby pouchlike roll. I can suck it in and have an almost flat tummy, but when I relax, it reappears! I think in time I can get rid of it if I hang in there.

good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.