HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

allergy to liners? allergy to liners?

Unread 11-01-2002, 04:24 AM
allergy to liners?

I apologize for posting what may seem like a frivolous question--so many sisters are really suffering through this with so many difficult complications that this may seem insignificant. But here goes. I have been wearing panti liners for years, ever since my urinary incontinence began several years ago. It was never bad enough to require pads, but have had to wear a liner for protection. I was hoping after my surgery, which included a TVT sling and vaginal wall repairs, to be finished with incontinence. Doesn't appear entirely to be the case, although it is lessened, it's still there. Have had one case of vaginitis since the surgery, and one yeast infection. The itching has started up again. Saw MD two days ago, who said no vaginitis and no yeast infection. Suggested I may have become allergic to the liners, as there are all sort of chemicals in them (I do not wear scented liners, just regular ones). Doc suggested using something with zinc in it to protect my vulva from whatever it is that is irritating me. Anyone ever heard of this? Any ideas, suggestions? It just seems odd to me that after all this time I would suddenly develop an allergy to my panti liners. I sometimes feel scratchy, sometimes itchy. And the doc can't find anything wrong. Any other ideas? I guess I'm resistant to the idea because the surgery wasn't entirely successful and the idea of having to apply some sort of barrier to my genital area on a daily basis just doesn't sit well with me. Thanks. New Yorker.
Unread 11-01-2002, 05:27 AM
allergy to liners?

After a hyst, vaginal dryness can be a problem.........that is what my doc says causes my occaisonal itchiness and irritation. She prescribed Mytrex.........I don't like it because it's greasy and stains my underwear........I thought those days were over!! I am only supposed to use it as needed. Are you sure you'd have to use the zinc product every day? I used the Mytrex for a few days.........seemed that the irritation healed up and I feel better without it!!
Anyway...........pantiliners irritate me and I find that I feel much better without them. I also used the kind with no scent, but I found after my hyst........that they irritate me. I didn't have any problem with infections until I had a few root canals done this past summer and was on antibiotics for 3 weeks..........then I developed a yeast infection.........was treated for that...........then developed bacterial vaginitus. During that treatment.....one of those messy creams........I wore pantiliners and but as soon as I was done with the medication I quit wearing the pantiliners because they were irritating me.

Are you on hrt? Sometimes the dryness is a sign of not enough estrogen............they make estrogen creams that you apply externally. I thought that was what my doc was going to give me when she gave me the Mytrex but she said she didn't think I needed it. I guess maybe she was right since I feel fine now.

One thing I have noticed is that tight clothes in that area annoy me now, where they didn't used to bother me. I live in jeans and gym clothes and have gone to wearing looser shorts to the gym on some days, rather than the bike shorts I used to wear. Also if jeans are a little too short in the crotch........forget it.

Good luck!
Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Unread 11-01-2002, 08:29 AM
allergy to liners?

Hi New York!

It is not impossible. After one of my births I developed a terrible allergic reaction to one brand of pads/liners. And after birth one has the same sort of low estrogen problems ladies can have after surgical menopause.

My doc gave me some stuff that was a combination zinc cream plus cortizone. It was quite yucky but I only needed it a few days.

Hope you feel better

Dorrie
Unread 11-01-2002, 11:26 AM
allergy to liners?

Hi new yorker! I just wanted to mention that many health food stores sell panty liners made from natural unbleached cotton for ladies with allergies to the chemicals in the regular panty liners. That's something you could try to see if it helps, assuming the reaction is to a chemical and not the mechanical rubbing of the liner on the vulva.
Hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 11-02-2002, 07:53 AM
allergic to liners

Hi everyone and thanks so much--

According to my MD, I do not have vaginal dryness. In fact, she says I have a robust lubrication system in place (which may be what's on my liner, which I have believed all along was urine leakage but doc is not convinced. My poor dh is now involved in a sniffing contest with me each time I change a liner because I just am oversaturated (in the olfactory sense) with this stuff and simply can't tell anymore if what I am smelling on my liner is urine or not.) I am on the same dose of ERT as I was prior to surgery (went back to it because of joint pain, the estrogen helps enormously) on a very low dose. I can't tolerate any more. No progesterone at this point, since the surgery was a complete hysterectomy. So it looks as if I'm stuck with the need for a liner. Lynda, I am going to check out the no chemical liners at our local health food store. Failing that, I may go to a surgical supply store and try to get some rolls of flat cotton and cut myself some liners and see if that helps. With the health food variety, have you actually seen them? I may come back to you, if I can't get info on this, and ask you next time you are in your store if you could check out the name and company that makes them. I hope that's OK. Thanks one and all. New Yorker
Unread 11-02-2002, 09:35 AM
allergy to liners?

New Yorker no problem at all! Yes, I've seen the liners, the Whole Foods here has a couple of brands, and even the upscale grocery store in my town that has a lot of natural foods stocks one brand of "natural unbleached cotton, no chemicals" liners. I've never tried them but I would think they'd be more convenient than having to make your own.
Good luck finding something that works for you!

-Linda
Unread 11-06-2002, 01:49 PM
allergic to liners

Hi everyone and thank you especially, Lynda--First of all, I found the natural liners and using them made a difference IMMEDIATELY. I can't believeit! Actually, two differences: first, the irritation disappeared immediately, as i said, but secondly, the staining has virtually disappeared! I have had one or two drops of urine--that's it! I cannot believe that after so much waiting and whining and feeling so sorry for myself and not trusting my MD, that this turned out to be simply what she suggested: allergies! This means the surgery was far more successful than I had thought (its three days now--liners during the day, nothing at night). My poor dh was being used as a hound dog and he kept swearing that he didn't smell any urine on the liners, too. The other thing I discovered was this: I treid simply wearing my underwear without the new liner and the irritation returned immediately. Figure I am allergic either to chlorine since I bleach all the white towels, underwear, etc. , or that it's the detergent. But the long and short of it is that it is some sort of topical irritation and that what I swore was urine apparently was not! Whoooo! A thousand thanks for your help with this. It means alot more than just getting rid of an itch! New Yorker.
Unread 11-06-2002, 01:54 PM
allergy to liners?

Oh New Yorker Woo-hoo! It's soooo wonderful when it turns out a sister's problem is something easily fixable, that's fantastic! Hopefully now your DH can retire his sniffer and you two can get your lives back to normal!

-Linda
Unread 11-07-2002, 10:40 AM
could it really be???

Hello sisters,
I have been following this thread. New yorker...seems we have a similar problem. I am only 10 days post op and feel like a million untill sunday I developed thsi rashy pain...near my urethea opening and near the vulva....went to clinic...doc said urinary tract infection... and gave me three days of suprax...started them on sunday but by monday night it was awfull..swollen, itchy and red down there..it didn't hurt to pee but just steady itch and burning. Tuesday I went to my doc who assited my gyn withthe surgery and he looked at the area and said it doesnt look like an infection more like an irritation. so he sent me for a micro urine work up which I did yesterday. He gave me some cream to releive the itch and it does help...it just feels like I am "hanging " out down there it is so sore...even hard to wear undies. Now this is the thing... I have been wearing panty liners for about 1-2 years due to constant leaking and spotting so is it possible that I hae developed an allergy to them like you???? It just seems so simple... my friend is comin over today and I will go to the health food store to see if they sell any natural liners??? I jsut think that would be too good to be true but it is worth a try! I will let you know how it goes...I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Unread 11-07-2002, 12:35 PM
allergy to liners

Hi Corni--I hope it is that simple for you, too. I must say, I was totally amazed when I followed up on Lynda's suggestion and got immediate relief. I am starting up again with a little itchiness, but nothing like before. Now I have to figure out if I am allergic to the bleach and/or detergent I am using on my underwear because, honestly, I woul really like to be finished with these liners. I am having some discharge, and oddly enough some of it seems to be coming from around my clitoral area. I'm actually going to post about this as a separate question, because I am a bit confused by this and a couple of other issues and don't want to garble this thread with too many other subjects. I am so grateful to Lynda for the suggestion . Whethre or not you do have an allergy, I think you will find the natural liners an amazing improvement. I'm certainly not only going to let my doc know that she was right, but I'm also going to give her the name of the brand of liner I got so that she can pass this onto her patients. She was right in identifying the problem, but the solution (a zinc ointment?) I wasn't nuts about. Please let us know how it works for you. Good luck! New Yorker

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.