HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Yucky, scary, embarrassing question...is my vagina collapsing? Yucky, scary, embarrassing question...is my vagina collapsing?

Unread 11-01-2002, 10:00 AM
Yucky, scary, embarrassing question...is my vagina collapsing?

Dear sisters:

I am now slightly three weeks post op (TAH/BSO, cervix removed).

I no longer feel horrible pain - just some discomfort. I am able to walk short distances, cook (which I find soothing) as long as DH puts heavy things on counter, wash a few plates or bowls, and lift my 6 and 7 pound pet bunnies without feeling a strain. I don't think I'm doing too much, but maybe...?

Although I don't feel bad pains anymore, I am now feeling strange "pings" and stuff in my abdomen from time to time.

But, my embarrassing question is about my vagina. It feels "loose", as if it could collapse. As if there are no muscles in there and it might just cave in. It's such a new, strange sensation that I actually left a message for my gyne asking if I should come in earlier for an appointment (post-op check up is a whole four weeks away right now).

This vaginal thing actually frightens me.

I wish doctors would hand us a sheet post-op letting us know exactly what we might experience.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is it possible I've strained myself, the sutures have let go and my vagina is actually "caving in"? Again, I feel very odd asking this question.

Sudarshan
Unread 11-01-2002, 10:05 AM
I've had the shooting pains

Which is normal from the nerves etc waking back up and everything knitting together (ouch!). But I'd definitely talk to your doctor about your concerns. I've been lifting my cats too (all except my 15 pound bruiser!).

Take care
Tina
Unread 11-01-2002, 10:16 AM

Well, I won't say that prolapse doesn't happen...you definitely need to call your doctor and get in sooner to have it checked out.

Something to keep in mind during your pelvic exam -- when they examine you, and you're lying down, it often happens that things "settle" into where they should be, so they check out "normal". Have your doctor check you in different positions to make sure that they're not missing anything. It's not really a matter of sutures "letting go" as it is pelvic floor weakness in general, which is a problem for many of us, particularly with the hormonal changes that accompany a hyst.

Keep us posted and let us know what your doctor says, OK? Good luck...

Audrey
Unread 11-01-2002, 10:47 AM

It never hurts to ask the DR any questions or concerns you have. Many women have worried about this at this stage in their recovery. Often swelling can feel that way. It does not sound like you have done anything to cause a problem. If you have not felt any bad pain and have not had any bright red bleeding, chances are very good that this is just another of those odd, post op feelings. Give it a bit more time and don't panic. Just mention it to your DR either at your visit or call them for some input and reassurance.
Unread 11-01-2002, 11:04 AM

Hi sudarshan! I just wanted to give you a and echo what the other ladies have said. It is quite normal to have very strange feelings at this point in your recovery. There is a ton of swelling in there from all the internal incisions, and that can lead to "full", or "collapsing", or "heavy" feelings for most of us. I had a prolapse before the hyst and would say the feelings I had afterwards were not exactly the same but they were similar enough to give me pause... but now I know everything is fine there.

Also many of us have had the "pinging" or twinges as the sutures dissolve and let go, and the tissues have to support their own weight. For most of us, that passes. If you are super worried, I'd talk with your DR so you can get some peace of mind and be able to relax enough to let yourself heal. There is always the chance of a vaginal vault prolapse post hyst but it happens very infrequently... I will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you are just feeling the "normal" feelings of healing and the problem is just that you weren't prepared for how that would feel. Hang in there, you're going to be feeling better and better!

-Linda
Unread 11-01-2002, 11:48 AM

I want to thank everyone. You are all truly a godsend. Your words are so supportive and helpful.

I did call my doctor and leave a message with the secretary. She will talk to my doctor on Monday - of course, she isn't in today...isn't that always how it goes when a patient is anxious!

I just wish as we leave the hospital post-op, doctors would hand us a list of possible symptoms that might occur during recovery. It would really help the healing process by giving post-hyst ladies some peace of mind. It's bad enough that we suffer from insomnia, hot flashes, emotions, pain, the crazy-making emotional side effects (at least in my case) of the narcotics, boredom, etc. after surgery - to be worried about normal recovery symptoms just makes all of this worse. For example, I have numbness down the side of my left leg and had to call the doctor two weeks ago because I was worried about blood clots. Which doesn't seem so far-fetched considering that I signed a paper stating that I was aware of this risk, and that nurses injected me daily with blood thinners while I was in the hospital. My doctor told me this is normal. Just wish she had given me a sheet of paper post-op that said, for example, "Could experience numbness in leg(s). Check with doctor if this is accompanied by shortness of breath." Know what I mean?

If it weren't for hystersisters I would be more scared than I already am. It would never have occurred to me that I would steadily recover, with the pain reducing and reducing, only to find myself suddenly having wierd "pings" and twinges and odd, new "bruised" feelings, and "collapsing" feelings three or four weeks into recovery. Doesn't seem logical until some kind soul tells you about sutures dissolving and muscles and nerves mending, and so on.

So, thanks again to you all for everything! I will still try to make an appointment to see my doctor or will at least definitely speak to her on Monday, however, in the mean time at least I can try to calm down a bit for the weekend because of the information you've all given me.

Best wishes and hugs.

Sudarshan
Unread 11-11-2002, 05:01 AM
Update

Hello!

I am now in my fifth week of recovery and doing okay.

I got over that "collapsed vagina" feeling, esp. after reading all of your posts and calming down. After DH's brief inspection and confirmation that everything down there looked normal, I felt even better. The collapsing feelings and strange pinching pains passed within a few days. There was some pink discharge but now that has also passed. I opted not to go to the gyne. My first post op appointment is in about 2.5 weeks. I'm sure I will have improved even more by that time.

The only pain I have now is a tender and bruised feeling just above the horizontal incision. I am extremely low on energy most of the time (no wonder - I hotflash all night long!), but I am able to go for walks of up to 40 minutes some days and much less on others. When it simply seems too much trouble to put on a coat and boots to go outside, I can go to the gym in my building and walk very slowly on the treadmill. This has been very helpful at times.

I am cooking and reading (and enjoying it), but lack the ability to concentrate on anything else. Sometimes just having to answer phone calls annoys me, yet other times I feel anxious if nobody calls! I feel bad that I have been off work for more than a month without picking up my tools for making art.

I have experienced several interesting "hormonal" feelings that are similar to PMS while being different in some undefinable way. For example, this morning as I was lying down beside DH, I wanted him to put his arms around me....yet, when he did, I felt irritable. I found myself wishing he could hold me without actually touching me. Craziness!

However, all in all, I think I'm doing a lot better than when I last wrote in. Even though my recovery is not the speediest, I am still amazed at how fast the body actually heals and how quickly the improvements come.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Yours,

Sudarshan

TAH/BSO, cervix.
endo, fibroid, possible adeno
Unread 11-11-2002, 05:43 AM

Hi Sri Rama,

I just wanted to say that I had the same fear, although at a later point in my recovery . I had read about vaginal vault prolapse and my vagina definitely felt different to me; I convinced myself that it was prolapsing. I went back to my doc and he checked everything out. All was fine. He asked me at one point to try to "push" my vagina out, and when of course I couldn't, he said, "Ha, you can't do it, can you!" I was embarrassed and felt silly and ended up babbling to him about all my anxiety following this surgery. But he just reassured me that all was well and explained all he had done to ensure good pelvic support.

Anyway, I would definitely tell your doc that you are concerned about the pelvic support and get it all checked out.

Also, I wanted to say that I think the doctors don't tell us all the things we could possibly experience, because it could be needlessly alarming.

hope your recovery continues to go smoothly!
Unread 11-11-2002, 06:58 AM

I agree, call your doctor if you are concerned. I can now recognize my doc's voice when he calls me back before he even says "this is Dr." he he.

I too had the vaginal thing. Mine felt like something was in there or that if I moved to fast, something might fall out of there. I didn't even know that prolapse could happen lol. Next time I saw my doc, he checked everything and said all was fine. I'm about 5 weeks post op and haven't felt that since week three. BUT, it's important to have it checked out if you are concerned. Mine seemed to have that feeling if I was up and about too much. After resting, the feeling would go away.

I still have the twinges, sharp things that hurt for a second and go away. Nerves coming alive I think - whew, I wish they'd be more quiet about it lol.

I hope you are feeling better soon!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.