High Risk Ovarian Cancer and Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

High Risk Ovarian Cancer and Hysterectomy High Risk Ovarian Cancer and Hysterectomy

Unread 11-01-2002, 02:51 PM
High Risk Ovarian Cancer and Hysterectomy

I'm new to these boards, if this issue has already been addressed, I'm sorry, I didn't see it anywhere.

I am considered "high risk" for ovarian cancer as my mother died at 34 after being diagnosed at 28. I am 40. My maternal grandmother died of breast cancer in early 50's. Given this info, my Dr. thinks it a good idea to have a full hyster. I have no symptoms aside from familial history.

I'm wondering if anyone here has made the decision to go ahead with the full hyster. based upon familial history. I certainly am quite afraid to end up getting ovarian cancer, but am wondering if it's really necessary for an operation at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2002, 03:01 PM

i would get at least 3 dr's opinions. i don't feel, with only one opinion, that you have enough information to make a huge decision like this.
Unread 11-01-2002, 03:15 PM

s thinningdown

Geez, I wish people could call me that!
I am an ovarian cancer stage IIIc survivor. Diagnosed at age 49.
The cancer center where I am treated set up special guidelines for my female relatives. An internal exam every six months with a recto-pelvic palpation, a ca 125 yearly along with a vaginal ultrasound yearly. Have you been following similar guidelines? You say you have no symptoms. With ovarian cancer, once symptoms are present, too many ladies are often in an advanced stage of the disease. You need to be watched very closely so that if it does come, it can be caught early and cured!!!
I recently attended a Natl Ovarian Cancer conference in Washington DC. Some of the top gyn oncologists in the country attended and lectured.
Their advice to female relatives of women with ovarian cancer was like that given to my family. However in addition to the above, they advised taking birth control pills for at least five years. The thought being that ovulation ceases while on BCP's and that ovarian cancer could actually get it's start when the egg ruptures through the ovarian surface causing a local wound.
Certainly the surgery you describe would offer alot of protection, but even that is not completely fool proof. Women have been known to develope primary peritoneal ovarian cancer years after their ovaries have been removed.
At this same conference I also learned that the new early warning blood test is about two to four years away. It will become part of a woman's annual exam just like the PAP smear.
Hope you are getting yearly mammograms as well.
Please feel free to come back with any questions.
I wish you all the best.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2002, 05:08 PM
Karenann's Comment is Good--Why Not Try Second Opinion?

I agree that you should get more than one opinion on this. See if you can talk with a GYN/ONC about this. Karenann's reply contained really good information. Ellen
Unread 11-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Second Opinions

Did you think about going to MD Anderson? They are one of the top cancer centers in the country. They may have a familal program for families with Ovarian Cancer.
Unread 11-02-2002, 06:20 PM

Hi!
I also would get another opinion and make sure that this one is from an oncologist gynocologist. I had a hysterectomy in April for Ovarian Cancer stage 3.. I had NO family history of the disease but my mom did have breast cancer and a mastectomy done 26 years ago..( she is fine and still going strong.. also never had a recoccurance of anything!!) However, breast cancer and ovarian cancer are sister cancers which i was not aware of. The male version is prostate cancer and my two sons will have to be very careful.
Hope all works out well.
Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register