HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

urine flow changed after surg? urine flow changed after surg?

Unread 11-03-2002, 04:24 PM
urine flow changed after surg?

This question is a little strange and I couldn't find anything on a search.
Ever since my surgery, my urine flow has changed. No matter how I sit on the toilet, the urine always flows back and all over the vagina. YUK! Has anyone had this experience? Would Kegle exercises help or would it take another surgery to correct? I know it's not a fistula because I don't have the leaking problems others describe. I think the doctor might have respositioned my urethra incorrectly or something. (He did reposition it...it's on the bill!)

Any info/ideas would be appreciated,
Jane
Unread 11-03-2002, 05:57 PM

Hi Jane!

I remember my flow being a little bit different for a little while after surgery, but it gradually got back to normal. I don't think my surgery included any work to the urethra, though.

Have you asked your DR about this?

I hope things get better for you real soon.

s,
Unread 11-03-2002, 06:10 PM
YES!

It never ceases to amaze me when I am worrying about yet another little quirk and am deciding if I should post or not..someone goes ahead and does it for me!! I have the exact same thing going on, I even put a small piece of toilet paper at the vaginal opening to see what would happen. It was naturally soaked, at first I thought "oh no" vaginal urination like the poor ladies are dealing with on here. I'm scared to death that is what's happening, but like you, I don't really "leak" urine, well if I DO leak it's a very small like nickel sized wet spot, so no biggie anyway. I go for my 6 week check up this thursday and hope my dr. doesn't think I'm being petty when I ask about this. I can't even tell for sure where the urine is coming from! It certainly doesn't seem very sanitary does it. Ask your dr. and I'll ask mine, I didn't see any repostioning mentioned but I'm asking just in case.
Unread 11-04-2002, 12:12 AM

Oh my gosh. I thought I was the only one. And I've been following the long thread of the dear suffering sisters with the vaginal urination also. It had me so totally freaked out, I finally put my finger down there before I started urinating to see where this was coming from. ( I figured a good hand washing was a small price to pay for piece of mind) Nothing vaginal thank goodness, but my uretha seems to act like a garden hose with no one holding onto it. My doctor did have to do work on repositioning my bladder though, and I'm hoping it will all settle down as things start healing and finding their permanent places inside.
Unread 11-04-2002, 12:42 AM

I do not understand. What is vaginal urination and how do you tell if you have it or not. I have never thought about where it comes from?

Christina
Unread 11-05-2002, 08:38 AM
change of direction

I wish mine had gone backwards--I peed forwards like a guy, right over the seat and onto the floor, unless I oofed into position very carefully, pointing myself downwards! (I'm never gonna post my real name now...) It got better gradually and now at 5 weeks it's pretty normal. Don't know whether it was the way I was sitting or whether my urethra was out of whack from the catheter or my labia got in a knot, but anyway, it did get better.
Unread 11-05-2002, 08:55 PM

Hi you all, I am so glad to see your posts. I too have a problem peeing. It seems to take me forever to pee. Even when I think I'm done I shift and more starts coming out. Josie
Unread 11-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Me too.......

Yep, I have these same problems. I go, wait.... then go again.
And I don't have the same 'urge' like before. It's very strange.
My bladder got shifted around a lot during surgery due to all the
nasty fibroids in there but I'm over 3 months since The Castle Visit. Dr said try the Kegels.
Unread 11-05-2002, 10:37 PM
Changes in Urination

Hi Ladies,

What you all may be experiencing could be caused by swelling in the vagina and uretha from the trauma of surgery. The swelling could cause the uretha to be pushed up or over, naturally redirecting the flow of urine.

I remember after my surgery in May, I felt as though my bladder was "folded in half". I can't think of any other way to describe it. It was a strange feeling, and I remember the urine stream being different, but it did gradually get back to normal. The only lasting effects I've had since surgery is that I no longer need to get up 4 or 5 times a night to go to the bathroom. Without the fibroids and the cantelope-sized uterus pressing on my bladder, I can sleep through the night! Yipeeee!!!

If you're still concerned about this problem though, be sure to give your doctor a call.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 11-06-2002, 08:16 AM

If it helps anyone, someone gave me a gem of advice last night. When you pee, do not sit directly on the seat, hover slightly over, it keeps from putting so much pressure on your bladder. Worked like a dream for me last night. Not so easy when you are "garden hosing" I know where you're coming from, mine is all out of whack. But try it, it may help.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.