HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

calcium supplement calcium supplement

Unread 11-06-2002, 12:46 PM
calcium supplement

has any1 had to start taking calcium pills after there hyst?? i saw something on tv about it with menopause and was wondering if it was something i should look into?? luci
Unread 11-06-2002, 01:22 PM
supplements

Hi mrschas,

I take 1,500 mgs of calcium divided into three doses a day, two of the calcium tablets are with 200mgs added Vit D (which helps with the absorption). This was on the advice of my PCP, my GYN had recommended two Tums but I didn't need the antiacid part of the Tums. I also try and do some weight bearing exercise at least twice a week ...
but then I do have a family history of osteporosis.
Take care
Deby
Unread 11-06-2002, 07:46 PM
calcium supplement

Hi! I am taking 1000 mg of calcium daily, 2 pills in the morning, which also have a total of 500 mg of Vit D. Since I am not on any HRT, I know I need this extra to protect my bones. My OB/GYN suggested it to me..
Deb
Unread 11-06-2002, 08:21 PM
re:calcium

mrschas,

First off we ALL should be taking calcium !! Hysterectomy or not....... Very important for us ladies as we age ! And if you haven't started calcium yet, I think you might consider it now!!!

There are probably a few other suppliments you may want to consider taking also -------- do a search in BEST and THE DESERT, and you will find several threads regarding this subject....
Unread 11-07-2002, 04:00 PM
Calcium

Hi- had my 6 week check up yesterday and my dr. said "Calcium". I had a bone scan done in June and it was perfectly normal- want to keep it that way!
Unread 11-07-2002, 04:45 PM
calcium supplements

My understanding that the recommended supplement is age related, and I would think a web search would contain this info. But all of us should be on calcium supplements, unless we are taking in tons of it routinely in our dients and I have never known anyone who did. I believe over the age of 50 (I could be wrong) the reocmmended daily dose is 1200 mb per day, and then it jumps to 1500 at around 60 I think. (Again, not sure). My internist told me, however, not to take more than 600 mg at a time and it should be taken with or immediately after eating and with Vit D. He said the gut simply cannot absorb more than 600 mg at a time, so that even if you are taking more, it will be lost. By all means, however, I would consult my MD. The age related dosage is something I'm not sure about, but I do believe it exists. Good luck. New Yorker P.S. weight bearing exercise is also a biggie, as another sister had suggested.
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:02 PM
Calcium

I went for my six week (really only five weeks and three days) check up and all went well.

When I got ready to leave, my doctor gave me a prescription for Fosamax and a sheet of paper telling me to take up to 1800 mg. of calcium citrate daily (one tablet three times a day). She said the first year of menopause, whether natural or surgical, was very hard on the bones.

Just when I think I'm coming to grips with this menopause thing, I find out there's a lot more to learn!
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:30 PM
calcium supplement

I was told 1200-1500mg per day of calcium. I've been taking
supplements for awhile now. Many Dr's are also encouraging
younger woman in their teens to start supplements to prevent osteoporosis in their later years.
Another interesting fact, for Coke drinkers: It contains phosphorus which I understand decreases the absorption
of calcium. It also contains 9 teaspoons of sugar (per Dr. Lee)
and of course caffeine which cause another set of problems.
I haven't had a coke in a couple of weeks!
Jen
Unread 11-09-2002, 09:10 AM
my lattes are not going to help me with calcium

coffee cancels out absorbtion of milk products. Stinks! Thanks for the post since it reminds me to pick up calcium supplements, the one thing I didn't think of pre-op.
Unread 11-11-2002, 12:49 AM
Tums = calcium carbonate

The antacid part of Tums IS calcium carbonate (+ flavors and excipients) and is probably a better source of calcium than an antacid.

Below is a post from the web (sorry, I forgot to save the source) which discusses Tums as a source of calcium. While calcium carbonate is not as effective as calcium citrate, for someone on a low income it could mean the difference between having enough calcium or suffering the consequences, if you are not on a low phosphate diet, taking cardiac glycosides or suffering from kidney disease. Each Tum contains 500mg of calcium carbonate. The label cautions that no more than 16 tablets should be taken in 24 hours as an antacid, but I have seen web sources that cautioned taking more than 2000mg of calcium carbonate in one day, which would mean a maximum of 4 tablets - three should be enough for most people.

From web:

Calcium Citrate vs. Calcium Carbonate

Q: In an earlier column you advised taking Tums for calcium, as I've heard other MD's advise. Because I've read several reports on the greater value of calcium citrate, I take a calcium magnesium supplement with calcium citrate. Since it's clear we need magnesium with our calcium, and Tums has no magnesium and the lesser form of calcium, is Tums really the product of choice? It's cheap but that's it. Any comments?

A: As I wrote in that column, calcium citrate is better absorbed than calcium carbonate but much more expensive. In the article you sent me from the November, 1999 issue of The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, Howard J. Heller, MD and his colleagues compared the calcium absorption of Citracal (a calcium citrate formulation) and Os-Cal (a calcium carbonate one) after a single oral dose (500 mg calcium), taken with a meal. By measuring blood levels of calcium, they demonstrated that calcium citrate is 2.5 times more bioavailable (easier for your body to use) than calcium carbonate.

Cost is certainly not the most important factor in choosing a calcium supplement, but if a person doesn't have side effects from calcium carbonate, why not take the cheaper one? For some people on a fixed income, an extra $20-30 a month makes a difference. You can buy calcium carbonate combined with Vitamin D and magnesium in pill form too. It doesn't have to be chewable Tums.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.