HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Internal stitches/Hard bump on the end of the incision Internal stitches/Hard bump on the end of the incision

Unread 11-08-2002, 04:26 AM
Internal stitches/Hard bump on the end of the incision

I have intertnal stitches, and I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op TAH BSO. On the right side of my incision (on the end), right above and right on top of the incision, it feels really hard. To look at it, you would never know, but it feels like a small marble or something in there. Anyone ever experience this?
Unread 11-08-2002, 06:26 AM

My surgery was 9/23 (TAH, BSO) and about the third week I experienced the same feeling. I was beginning to do more, like going out for lunch and walking and I felt the same knot. I was worried too but was assured by many on this board that it was common when we push ourselves. What helped me immensely was to put an ice pack on for about twenty minutes and elevate my legs for a while. I even called the doctor, concerned that I had an infection, but he said it was just my body telling me to slow down. I'm doing great now. Incision still bothers me a little sometimes when I do too much, but I just use the ice and relax and I'm fine. I actually went back to work this week - part time at first but I'm working my way up. Hope you continue to heal and gain strength daily.
Unread 11-08-2002, 09:29 AM

Sisters, there have been many threads about this very thing, recently. I encountered the exact same thing..........first of all, I encourage you to always contact your Physician about any changes-but, if there's no new pain, no discharge from the incision, and it's not red, etc....it is probably nothing, just like mine was. Be well and take care of yourself!!!

s
Unread 11-08-2002, 09:36 AM

I have also read a lot about this, and ladies have been told by their docs that it is the knot at the end of the suture which can be aggravated by too much activity and flare up. Take it easy girlfriend! A call to the doc also can't hurt...that's part of their job!

Good Luck!

Lynn

p.s. Hey Christy! Did ya get my message last week or so? still kinda puter illiterate here
Unread 11-08-2002, 11:27 AM

I too experienced the same thing. Started on the right side of my insision, now is the whole length of insision. Usually what it means is just scar tissue building up. Always check with DR, but I was told if it is not too tender to rub it, gently of course, to help work it out. Unfortunately, for me I am still too tender. But just an idea. Good luck to you!!!!!
Unread 11-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Hardness under scar...

Hi ! It's pretty normal to have hardness underneath. Mine lasted a couple months. I did massage it very often, gently, and that helped. The ice was a good suggestion too. I'm around 4 months post & scar is STILL sore & tender, can't lean against the sink or it hurts. But, it's better now than last month!! So, give yourself time to heal. I now see it's really 3-6 months till we're fully healed. (Some sisters say a year!) Have an uncomplicated recovery!
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:43 PM

Thanks Ladies!!
I should have known to listen to my mom, lol! She basically said the same thing as you all did. I didn't believe her because I feel like I'm not really pushing myself (I can hardly do anything yet). Doctor still has me on bed rest, but I sneak up on the computer and go downstairs every now and then. You have all been so helpful

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.