HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Any tips on living with large ventral hernia? Any tips on living with large ventral hernia?

Unread 11-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Any tips on living with large ventral hernia?

I'm at the point now where I'm VERY uncomfortable with this hernia. It's large and my binder no longer covers the entire area. I can't stand up for very long at all without the binder and with it I get sore in lots of surrounding places. I don't know how long it will be until I can have surgery.

What did anybody else do to help themselves be comfortable before surgery? The large (wider) binder is not available at my local health care stores for some reason. I have a corset type binder that has stays that keep poking through and making me uncomfortable. I don't want to be a couch potato!!

Joselle
Unread 11-23-2002, 04:50 PM

Hi Joselle

Unfortunately I can't give you any words of wisdom, but wanted to respond and your question up to see if anyone could help!

z
Unread 11-23-2002, 05:01 PM

Hi Joselle, I have had 2 hernia repairs--- the first time they didn't use any type of graft & the repair only lasted 3 years. I was very uncomfortable during my pregnancy due to the hernia--I eventually found a large, all elastic binder (without metal stays inside) which was comfortable---but I recall before I found that using a 6 inch Ace bandage (try to find the kind with velcro, not the nasty sharp little metal clips). Athough the Ace wrap had a tendency to roll over at the top, that may have been due to the size of my 8-months-pregnant belly! Hope this helps, a big to you!
Unread 11-23-2002, 09:54 PM
Was that tight enough?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to look for that Ace bandage tomorrow. Did you really find that was strong enough? It's worth a try. That way I can put it anywhere I want, right?

TWO repairs? What should I expect regarding recovery?

Thanks,

Joselle
Unread 11-23-2002, 10:30 PM

I haven't dealt with a hernia, so I'm not sure if this would work, but after my hyst my "belly binder" was wearing out, and DH stopped by Home Depot and got me a really nice "back protection belt" thingy - y'know those heavy neoprene things that are supposed to protect your back. I *think* I wore it backward. It was really sturdy, but very comfortable. Dont know if it would work for you, but thought I'd mention it, just in case...
Unread 11-24-2002, 06:21 AM
Thanks Linda

I didn't even know about the Home Depot solution. Thanks, I'll check into that as well. What creative women we have here!

Joselle
Unread 11-24-2002, 08:33 AM

HI Joselle, with my first experience with the hernia surgery, I wasn't even aware that I had a hernia--I found out when it became incarcerated (a loop of bowel became trapped in the muscle wall defect) and I had to have emergency surgery. With that repair, the doctor just went in, but the bowel back where it belonged, and sewed up the defect. It didn't hold, because I apparently have weak connective tissue. With the second repair, the surgeon put in a synthetic graft (soemthing like Gore-Tex) and extended beyond the borders fo the weak connective tissue. The surgeon who did my TVH/A &P repair told me that some women just have weak connective tissue, and the ones with hernias are usually the ones who end up with prolapse/cystocele etc. She says it doesn't make any sense to do repairs on these types of women (me) WITHOUT using grafts (I have grafts for my rectocele repair as well).

RE: recovering from the hernia sugery: My hernia was pretty small. Both times I had the surgery it was outpatient, i.e., in in the morning, out in the afternoon. The pain was pretty bad for the first 24 hours, complicated by nausea/vomiting the 2nd surgery. 48 hours out I was feeling pretty good. With the first surgery, I was back at work within 1 week, teaching exercise classes & doing situps at 2 weeks. This may not be your experience if your hernia is much bigger than mine.

Hope this helps.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.