:help: Infected incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

:help:  Infected incision :help: Infected incision

Unread 12-01-2002, 04:44 PM
:help: Infected incision

Well I guess all my bragging about my uneventful recovery finally caught up to me. I'm 11 1/2 weeks post op and had trouble the first 6 weeks with my incision not wanting to close completely. During that time it was constantly draining a clearish pinkish fluid. When I went to my at 6 weeks post he took a look and said it looked "fine" and to let him know if it still had not closed in 2 more weeks. Natually it closed the following week but then about 1 1/2 weeks ago I began to notice a lump just above the incision. Then about a week ago the skin began to peel off on an old pregnancy stretch mark. I didn't think too much of it. It was a little tender though. Then it began to swell and the stretch mark looked like it would bleed. On Thanksgiving morning I put some antibiotic ointment and an band-aid on it. That evening I took the band-aid off to take a look at it and when I peeled the band-aid off (very carefully) and then barely touched it the hole I had opened back up and all kinds of really really nasty stuff came pouring out. I just about lost my Thanksgiving dinner. Since then, the hole is staying opened and still draining. Has anyone else experienced this so far post-op? Should I try to treat it myself or go see the Doc? It does feel better since it drained but I'm afraid of the hole closing again and the infection building back up in there. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Love you guys!!

Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2002, 04:49 PM

I have not experienced what you are going thru but my first response is you should call your doc as soon as you can.......maybe even today or tonight so they can get you in tomorrow if they want to. He may want to put you on antibiotics just to be on the safe side or he may want to take a look at it which sounds like it would be a good idea.

Good luck.........I hope it clears up quickly --
Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Unread 12-01-2002, 05:02 PM

Hi Janet,
I strongly suggest you call your doctor. Don't let it go any longer than you have to. Call doc A.S.P.

Angl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2002, 07:29 PM
DO NOT FREAK!! ITS OK

I DID HAVE THIS HAPPEN WHEN I HAD MY LAPRO. 6WKS AGO. I JUST HAD A TAH/BSO/APPENDECTOMY ON11-19-02. FIRST OFF DO NOT PUT ANY KIND OF OINTMENT ON IT, THIS KEEPS THE INCISION WET AND IT FOR SURELY WILL NOT HEAL. SECOND, NO BANDAID IT ALSO MAKES IT SWEAT AND WILL KEEP IT WET. THIRD
IT ALSO COULD BE ONE OF THE STITCHES THAT HAS BURIED ITSELF UNDER THE SKIN AND CAUSED A PIMPLE LIKE THING WITH FLUID. I HAD ONE OF THOSE UNDER ONE OF THE STITCHES ALMOST LIKE A BOIL. IT DRAINED BY ITSELF THEN I CALLED THE DR. AND HE PUT PEROXIDE ON IT AND SAID LEAVE IT UNCOVERED AND TO NOT WASH IT WITH ANYTHING FOR AWHILE.

THIS IS JUST MY OWN EXPERIENCE. BE SURE TO TALK TO YOUR DR. ABOUT ANY CONCERNS OR ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT LOOK RIGHT TO YOU.
Unread 12-04-2002, 06:04 PM

Thanks for your concern and replies. I made it in to see the Doc today and he prescribed a course of antibiotics. He feels it is an infected hair folicle and will hopefully heal up in a few days on the antibiotics. He said if it doesn't he may have to go in and cut it out. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

s to you all!!!

Janet
Unread 12-04-2002, 06:19 PM
GLAD TO HEAR IT.

GLAD TO HEAR EVERYTHING WENT FINE WITH YOU. IF ANYTHING ELSE GOES ON JUST LET US KNOW.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register