HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Stitch Abscess ??? Stitch Abscess ???

Unread 12-02-2002, 04:18 AM
Stitch Abscess ???

Hey girls!! Has anyone ever heard of anyone having what they call a stitch abscess or a stitch infection?(both same thing) I caught one at 3 weeks post op..I am now 6 weeks post op and I am just finishing treatment for it..by treatment I mean I had to go every 2 days to the doc so he can keep an eye on it and drain it as well with gauses and silvernitrate....I know sounds like fun..NOT!! Anyway I hear that this happens because of the thread they use called vycril..they say it is a good strong thread but it affects some people..that being my case..anyway please let me know if you know of someone or if you yourselves have had anything like this..ok..Thanks girls..
Love
Audi

Unread 12-02-2002, 05:30 AM
Stitch Abscess ???

Hi Audi,

I have a similar experience to yours. I had a TAH RSO on 9/11 and developed a seroma (huge one) because my body rejected the internal sutures. I was being seen by the visiting nurse everyday for wound care. Then before that was resolved, I herniated and had to have that repaired on 10/16. I now have a large abcess, seromas, and have 8 open wounds on my abdomen that the nurses irrigate, debride and pack everyday. We are now up to 5 yards of packing everyday for thise wounds. These sutures disolve over 90 days they tell me.

I am glad they are not using silver nitrate on mine - ouchie - that must be unpleasant. I can sympathize with you, this is not fun for sure. I will pray that you heal soon and feel back to normal.
Unread 12-02-2002, 07:45 AM
Stitch Abscess ???

Hi , two of my staples got infected . My dr treated them with the silver nitrate, I agree that it's not much fun. It took about 2 weeks to clear up completely. Good luck , keep us posted on how you're doing. s
Unread 12-02-2002, 11:32 AM
Finally someone who understands!!

Ajemian thanks for telling me your story..I sincerely appreciated it..I have posted this question before.. except that before I didn't have a name to go with what I had been going through and now I do..
I am so sorry to hear about what you went through..and yes you are lucky you were spared the silvernitrate sticks..LOL..I can laugh about it now but for 3 weeks I was not laughing but sometimes crying instead..
Thanks again for making me feel like I wasn't alone..
You can consider yourself my
Love
Audi
Unread 12-02-2002, 11:39 AM
Thanks for your sweet concern!

Hi Jeanus! I couldn't agree more about the silvernitrate..I have heard of staples getting infected..my mom's friend strictly asked that when she have her hyster done that she did not want staples since she had a similar problem to yours previously..I am doing ok and just came back from my 6 week post op appt. and he even gave me the go ahead to go back to work next week..
Thanks again for caring..It has been a long recovery road but I am physically feeling so much better..Bye for now!
Love
Audi

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.