HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 12-02-2002, 07:44 PM
Waking up

Years ago when I had my wisodm teeth out I was put under -- my problem was when I woke up I was a crying idiot and talked about some really weird stuff -- I know I provided a great deal of entertainment for those around me but... I'm not looking forward to this reaction.

Has anyone had this problem when they wale up?

Thanks
DAY
Unread 12-02-2002, 08:25 PM
Waking up

I can understand your concern. I have a hard time with general anesthesia because I get so cold. I just shiver and shiver and almost convulse. The last time I went under general, I told the anesthesiologist about my worries and he said ok, he would try something different. It was much better and the nurses were waiting with warm blankets. It went so much better. I am considering a spinal maybe for my hysterectomy, but I am a little anxious about it. My father-in-law still has back pain from a spinal he had for prostate cancer. My date is 12/18 but I will be thinking about you. Please log on after your surgery and let us all know how you did.

Best wishes...keep the faith...I know you will do great!
Jan
Unread 12-02-2002, 09:03 PM
Oh sister.. I feel your pain..

Oh boy, I really know what you are feeling.. I have had countless d&c"s over the years and with every single one, I woke up a blabbering idiot..Not just crying, but sobbing like a fool.. I am also known to say some crazy stuff under the influence of a general.. I actually tried to get the spinal for my hyst., but wouldn't ya know that my idiot anesthesiologist was one of those who is only comfortable doing a general.. So, needless to say I got stuck with the general that I didn't want.. The only good thing about that is that because we are having major surgery, they use different stuff. The scrapings I have had, the teeth you have had pulled were not long procedures so they used something different. Suprisingly I did not wake up hysterical from my hyst. I hope this calms some of your fears.. But please, make sure you see and speak to your "gas" man BEFORE you are laying there in your hospital gear... Good luck.. Kim
Unread 12-02-2002, 10:27 PM
Waking up

Hi Day!

It's me again... It's so funny you should mention this. I was too embrassed at first to say, plus I didn't want to scare anyone...............

But I was put under for just a few moments during the end of my emergency c section. I can remember fighting to wake up, I began to move about forcefully trying to come out of the cocoon they had but me in. I remember hearing the nurse telling me to relax that I would wake up, that I would be ok..........

I woke to what I thought were shivers, chills. I remember being soooo cold.

The recovery nurse told my father that I was having a reaction to the "A".. I remember her placing a warming blanket on me and a heating lamp.

Now she called it a reaction, I wasn't gonna mention it bcuz I was sooo out of it.. But that I remember clearly.

I never said a word though.............

I guess I should mention that to the Gas Man uh?

p.s Day! ..... Click on the Smiles list to your left of the post. Ok? Then highlight the code that you want to use Ok? Copy it and then paste it on the area where you would like it in your post and My Dear it will show up just fine!

See ya on the dance floor Castle Buddy
Unread 12-03-2002, 03:36 AM
Waking up

Thanks everyone - I'll be sure to talk to the gas man and tell everyone I'm sorry if I get going especially my DH - just ignore me.

A great suggestions about the blanket - I know I get chilled easy. I live in Florida and you gals up north would laugh if you saw how I bundle up to take walk, and yes I even have a heating blanket on my bed.

Well today a day to eat lite -- why do I feel like a Philly chesse steak!

Later everyone -- off to school.

DAY

Thanks Cesa for the suggestions on the smilies -- I''ve been doing that and all I get is the word copied - hay does it turn into the smilie when I hit submit reply???? oooohhhh let me try!

Unread 12-03-2002, 01:48 PM
Waking up

I couldn't pass up this post!!!

I had breast reduction surgery about 4 years ago. I had been pretty freaked out prior to "going under", and nearly chickened out while in the operating room.

I remember being in the recovery room later, but it was all a blur. Someone asked me if I was feeling better..... that's about all I remember.

Later that day, recovery room nurses kept stopping by my room, and even my own nurses were "chummy" with me. One of them finally explained that as I woke up, I was doing some kind of stand-routine while I was lying there. I have no idea what I said, but apparently, I cracked them all up so bad they just HAD to see what I was like after surgery.

Geez - I wonder what I was saying???

So - think funny thoughts as you go under and perhaps you'll have a better experience this time!!!
Unread 12-03-2002, 03:54 PM
Waking up

I had anesthesia for oral surgery a few years ago and I woke up crying too. The nurse told me that it is very common and lots of people have that reaction. I'm sure they've seen it all. Don't worry.
Now, on the other hand, after my TVH I didn't do any weeping at all. I do remember "fighting' a bit to turn to my side, instead of laying on my back. I only vaguely remember it, but I do remember waking up in recovery and I was laying on my side. The nurse told me that I had insisted on laying that way.
I'm sure that whatever you do, it won't be anything the staff hasn't seen before.

I wish you all the best, and a speedy recovery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.