HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

12 Weeks Out And Tummy Still Sore?? 12 Weeks Out And Tummy Still Sore??

Unread 12-07-2002, 11:22 AM
12 Weeks Out And Tummy Still Sore??

Hi Sisters!! Just wanted to ask if anyone knows how long this sore tummy is gonna last? I will be 12 weeks out this Monday, and feel really good, except that my tummy area, mostly above the incision site, is still sore to the touch. I do notice this more if I do a lot of lifting, my 3 yr old grand-daughter, who lives with me, loves to be picked up and squish up on my lap, and this soreness seems to be more noticeable when I've held her a lot. I'm not having pain or anything like that, just soreness, almost like it feels when you have a bruise and touch it.. Thanks all, hope all are doing well...
Unread 12-07-2002, 11:56 AM
sore skin

Hi, I have the same feeling, things look fine, but touching the skin feels like an older burise, or almost firey sometimes, I did a search...typed in sore skin, and got a bunchh of old replies, and saw that it seems to be very common. So hit the search button, and try skin pain, or skin sore feeling.
Unread 12-07-2002, 01:01 PM

I'm right behind you at 10-1/2 weeks, and I can assure you that the tender tummy I'm experiencing will definitely NOT be gone at 12 weeks! I've read many times that it takes 6-12 months for a full recovery, and that must be true across the board for all of us.

Do you suppose the old saying, "Time heals all wounds," could have been written by a hyster sister?

Best wishes,

BlondieA770
Unread 12-07-2002, 01:08 PM
Still sore too!

Hi there,

I had surgery on 9/3/02 and am still sore. Especially today (I seem to have developed pneumonia...rats...when does it end?) from coughing. I think it will take quite a while to feel "normal".

Best wishes,

Debra
Unread 12-07-2002, 07:27 PM

Hi Deb

I'm 16 weeks post and still having tummy tenderness. Mine is definitely worse when I've done any lifting, digging in the garden, reaching and things like that. If I've just been sitting around I can't feel it at all. Just have to be patient I guess. It's definitely getting better though, just slowly.

Good luck.
Unread 12-07-2002, 11:04 PM

13 weeks out -- the past 2 weeks have had some sharp stabbing pain behind the incision line. This week very sore. Went to Dr this week -- thought that maybe internal stiches were dissolving -- DR. thinks not -- told me rest more (difficult to do when you work) try not to eat roughage, no straining of bowel area.
Just to be safe will have a sonagram this week.

Anyone on any type of pain or anti inflamatory meds?
Unread 12-08-2002, 01:43 AM

Hello Princesses!!!

I am amost at week 19 and my tummy is still sore on one side. This area also itches like crazy. I had a bad sinus infection about 3 weeks ago and did a lot of coughing. Tummy was really sore. Up until this point, tummy had no swelling or soreness. I guess I went back a few weeks.
Unread 12-08-2002, 04:17 PM

Hi Ladies
12 weeks post here too from a TVH no external incision but my tummy hurts from time to time too.I noticed it hurts more after I've done some heavy lifting or hopping or jumping(I'm a preschool teacher)Feels like i have done a million sit ups. I guess its true what they say it does take at least 6 months to a year to get back to normal whatever normal is.I certainly feel a lot better since my hyst.Does anyone get really tired?Thank you ladies I thought there was something wrong with me after all Im 12 weeks post I shouldn't be having any more pain.Glad Im not alone. You ladies are great!!!!
Unread 12-08-2002, 04:37 PM

Hi Ladies!

I had a TAH on 9/20/01. It took me much longer than the 12-19 weeks you all are at for the "swelly belly" to go away and the soreness to end. Just when I would go a few days or a week with no soreness I'd do something - raking, cleaning, lifting my grandson, etc - that would remind me that I was still healing. It took a few months - about 6 if I recall correctly - for me to not experience soreness after straining the area. Be patient hystersisters! It does take almost a year to really feel "recovered"! I kept thinking that "I heal quickly, it won't take me that long" but it did! At about 10 or 11 months post op I really started to feel great, have good energy levels and to completely stop worrying about soreness. Don't overdo it!!! Let your bodies be your guides!

Take care and good luck!
karen
Unread 12-08-2002, 08:23 PM

Amen! At 6 months post op I'm just beginning to feel "normal" and still have days when I'm sore or swollen. The tiredness, however, is MUCH better the last month or so. That, at least, is almost normal. I also find I don't need to sit with my feet elevated as much as I used to.

So, ladies, it will take longer than you had hoped, but it will eventually get better.
:

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway