HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Using Premarin 1.25, What is bio-identical equivalent? Using Premarin 1.25, What is bio-identical equivalent?

Unread 12-11-2002, 10:39 AM
Using Premarin 1.25, What is bio-identical equivalent?

Hi all. I had a TAV/BSO on 7-5-02. I turned 36 in October. I started premarin 1.25 about three weeks after the surgery as the hotflashes and crying jags were enough to drive me nuts. I have had no trouble at all with Premarin 1.25 but would like to try HRT that doesn't have to travel through my digestive system as I have heard this isn't the best way to get the estrogen to my receptors. Am I being stupid to change something that seems to be working fine? I would like to be able to put on a patch every few days and not have to swallow a pill each morning. Better yet, give me an implant and let me forget about having to take my pill every day. I am very curious but don't really know where to turn and I'm wondering if anyone else has been in my shoes and made the change.

Also, does Premarin have the other 'gens' and 'ones' that my ovaries used to produce?

Thanks for the help. I love the HysterSisters and I'm proud to be one, too!
Unread 12-11-2002, 12:48 PM

I can't tell you the equivilant but I can tell you premarin is just estrogen. That seems a high starting dose to me, but if you are doing well, I guess that is all that matters.
I am sure someone smarter than me will come along and tell you what the equal dosages on bio identical might be.
But with those you still have to use them every day, usually by rubbing them on your skin.
Unread 12-11-2002, 01:33 PM

Hi Shoshi,
glad to hear that you are doing fine!

My first reaction to what you write is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." It does take a long time to heal physically from this surgery, and if you feel balanced hormonally on the Premarin, I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone for this first year at least. Concentrate on recovering and developing healthy habits, diet, exercise, etc.

however, if you do feel like tinkering, you could consider switching to a bioidentical estrogen--pill or patch. Many women here like the various patches. My doctor warned me that some women with sensitive skin react to them, so I opted for a pill, but I plan to try the patch probably next year and see how I do. I take 2 mg estradiol, which is the highest dose, but it feels just right for me. It is difficult though for me to remember to take it at the same time each day...

As far as I can tell from surfing around, there are different benefits and disadvantages to each form, pill and patch. I will be curious to hear what my doc recommends based on my family and personal history (I have some loss of bone density, so need to be concerned about my bones, for instance).

I'm glad you're doing well, in any event!
Unread 12-11-2002, 02:05 PM

I do well on Premarin (.625) but I just thought I'd pass along my experience...........I tried switching at one time to the Climara patch.........it made me feel lousy, headache, dizzy, nauseous, flu-like symptoms. I also had trouble with the patch sticking to me -- it was supposed to last 7 days and was falling off by the 4th day. I live in Florida, it's humid, I work out and get sweaty and shower every day.......I don't know if that affected it or if it was because it was the generic version.........I've heard that the non-generic version sticks better. Then I tried Cenestin, and Estratest. I had the same reaction to both, and ended up back on the Premarin.......it's been about a year and half and I feel great so I'm sticking with it.
Go up there to "More Hystersisters" and scroll down to "Hormone Pulldown" and you'll find lots of info on all different types of hrt.

Also, if you go to www.advancerx.com there is a drug dictionary there where you can look up any type of drug......prescription or non-prescription.........and it will give you all kinds of info.

And in case you're wondering........I felt good on the Premarin when I started tinkering with other hrt's but I had gained some weight and thought maybe switching would help. Actually the Premarin didn't have much to do with it. I was eating anything I wanted for many months after my hyst because I'd had major surgery and convinced myself I "deserved" it. When I changed my eating habits I managed to lose 18 pounds.........and I had only gained 9 after my hyst so I'm in better shape now than I was before surgery! I also kinda thought that well, if I feel this good on the Premarin, maybe I'd feel even better on something else. With me it definitely was a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Good luck to you!
Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Unread 12-11-2002, 03:40 PM

Hi Shoshi,

I've been applying the V. Dot for almost 2 years now. It's working well for me right now. Even though other Sisters are decreasing their doses for whatever reason I've had to increase mine. A while back the night sweats & hot flashes started to come back & blood work determined my estrogen level was low. My new dose is working well for me now. Personally I wouldn't dare change anything that's working. What works for me & you could be soo different. I wish you the best.

Sister Katie
Unread 12-11-2002, 04:01 PM

usually a compounding pharmacy will know the dosage equivilents of the compounded hormones, otherwise the regular pharm would know what is equal to what of the brand name products.
Unread 12-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Thanks for Sharing!

I appreciate the responses, you have helped me decide to stick with the Premarin at least for the first year. I guess I'm just getting anxious and reading about the different therapies got me thinking. What I should do is consider myself lucky that it works and leave well enough alone. I hope it lasts for a while.

Patsy
Unread 12-13-2002, 06:24 PM
Premarin nightmare

I'm curious to know if anyone has had a negative reaction to Premarin. I had TAH on April 25, 2002. I started taking Premarin in the hospital. I am total different person. I have been in denial that the Premarin had anything to do with the changes in me but I'm now convinced Premarin is the reason. I am mad all the time for no reason. I haven't gained any weight but I can't lose any weight by eating right. I would exercise if I weren't extremely tired all the time. I used to make fun of my husband for taking naps and now I HAVE TO take a daily nap or I can't function. I can't concentrate at work. The list goes on and on. I guess the main thing is my attitude. I'm just a horrible person to be around. I finally made a dr. appt for next week so I can demand he put me on something else. I quit taking them for 2 days and the night sweats were so horrible I started taking them again. There has to be a way to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas? I've been told to ask for my dr. to put me on Zoloft along with the Premarin. Any suggestions? Thanks for listening to me whine.

Lori (Pulling my hair out)
Unread 12-13-2002, 07:41 PM
Premarin l.25mg. vs. bio identical

Hi Soshi:
Post Hysterectomy -4/26/02..surgical menopause
As most of us here at hystersister, I have been on quite a few different estrogen methods.
After suffering through deep depression,crying jags, etc. which were horrible, I begged my doctor to at least try Premarin. He gave me 0.625 mg. About 2 weeks later I started to feel things getting better.
I still didn't feel well or like doing anything. I had no interest....it felt as if, I lost the depth of my emotions. I was smiling but not feelin it inside.
I then went to an Endocrinologist, she did a hormone blood level test.
Through the test, I found out that I was low in estrogen and very, very low in testosterone.
The endo increased my Premain to 1.25mg per day (I am not happy about) and testosterone cream 3xwk.
I have just started this recipe 5 days ago and hope it's right for me.
Like you, I am not so confident to remain on Premarin...Also, like you,...lots of women have suggested I remain on it until my body has a chance to regroup.
At least then, I will be stronger to deal with HRT... And maybe the physical aspects will have healed more then they are now.
I have decided to stick with it for now. The way I felt before the Premarin was "Not Worth The Price Of Admission".
Good Luck To You,
Love, Sugar
Unread 12-13-2002, 07:55 PM
Premarin Post Surgical Blues

Dear Fan1Dallas:
We are all different. You could be having a negative reaction to Premarin (dose?) or your body may not be processing it properly.
You may find better results using a patch(trans-dermal). Have you had a hormone blood level test? That will tell you what you have and how much.
Your symptoms may be caused because of hormone imbalance.
Surgical menopause is very, very touchy.
I am 4 months post hyst/surg meno. I have taken quite a few different forms of estrogen and did not find relief. I am now on l.25mg. of Premarin and testosterone cream 3xwk, for only 5 days.
I feel like I am maintaining my okay feeling, but not feeling great, yet. I felt so awful before the Premarin that I am taking "5" and resting here at "okay" to gain some strength back.
We are all different. Stick with this site and we will all help eachother.
Keep reading everything.
Hugs to You,
Love, Sugar

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.