HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

feels like rubber band around top of leg!!! feels like rubber band around top of leg!!!

Unread 12-22-2002, 11:49 AM
feels like rubber band around top of leg!!!

Can anyone please help me. It has been 8 LONG wks. from time of total hyst. I feel sooo bad. Having groin pains (dctr. is sending me for phys. therapy. But my main problem is still the numbness around the top right leg all the way to the back and down my leg. I believe it has something to do with nerve damage. Just recently i realized it has something to do (or so I think) with my bowels. Seems when i am constipated (and having probs with that also) my right side of my belly feels like they left something in it and then the right groin and top right leg feels like a rubber band was tied around the whole area. It is so awful i can hardly stand it. I am sooo depressed cause it hurts so much. Feels soooo tight and super achy. It actually extends around the outside of my leg and down the inside of my leg. I am soooo worried the doctor messed up and am so scared to think i'd have to live like this. Anybody else ever have this awful thing happen and eventually go away??? God Bless all the hystersisters out there, we need it!!! Thank You, Vicky
Unread 12-22-2002, 03:01 PM

Hi Vicky

I'm sorry to hear about this. I would strongly suggest that you tell the doctor you need an x-ray of some sort. This doesn't sound normal to me. I don't physical therapy is going to help, although I'm not sure what the prob is.

If you can't get a response from your doc, call a different one. This could be serious or it could be nothing.

Keep us posted as to what the prob is.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Kim
Unread 12-22-2002, 03:22 PM
Numbness

I'm almost 3 months post op and I have numbness all the way down to my knee from the top of my thigh on the right leg and just in my upper thigh on my left leg also above the incision on my left side. I asked my doc about it and he said it is probably nerve stuff that may or may not go away. There is no pain for me, just the numbness which is weird feeling but that's it. I check with my doctor is I have any questions. Hope you get some relief and good answers soon. Hang in there.
Unread 12-22-2002, 03:52 PM

Vicky:

The pain you describe does sound like some sort of nerve problem. There might be a "hematoma" (blood clot) that's putting pressure on your nerves; or, if you kept your ovaries, there might be a functional cyst on one of them putting pressure on that area. Also, if you had a vaginal hysterectomy, the position that they put you in can cause some nerve problems within the first months of recovery.

Talk with the physical therapist about this, and see if, between the two of you, you can pinpoint exactly where the problems are. The more specific the description, the better able you will be to communicate with your doctor about it, and the more likely he'll be able to counsel and help you.

I had some weird groin and sciatic nerve pain (and mine was abdominal) for the first three months, on and off, after my surgery. They have decreased with time and anti-inflammatories. But see what advice the therapist can give you...they have an extensive knowledge of anatomy, and may be able to help you sort out what's causing this.

Good luck! I do hope you're feeling much better soon. And try not to despair too much. Healing this sort of thing takes a lot of time and patience. It doesn't mean it will NEVER get better -- it just feels that way on a day to day basis. But gradually you should start to see some relief. .

Audrey
Unread 12-22-2002, 04:04 PM

from one Vicki to another!

I am 9 1/2 weeks post from TAH/LSO and have the exact same thing going on in my left leg! I found out Wednesday that I have multiple cysts on the remaining (right) ovary. This doc (which is not my surgeon but works with her) put me on bc pill. He seems to think the cysts are what is causing my discomfort. I'm not convinced of that just yet.

I think Audrey made an excellent suggestion. Go to the PT and maybe the two of you can figure this pain out. Good luck and do let us know what you find out!
Unread 12-22-2002, 09:06 PM
rubberband feeling---response to sisters

Guess i should have told all that i had severe numbness at the top of my legs from returning from surgery. I had a total abdom. hyster. with the removal of my ovaries. There were 2 aunts in the family with ovarian cancer and it was suggested my sister and myelf should have hysterectomies. Acutually she suggested that i have my ovaries removed and then we decided to do the total hyst. I am soo regretting this as you can see. Anyway i had a major bladder infec. from the start and was on anti-biotics for 17 days and in that time i could not rest for getting out of bed to go to the bathroom seemed like every 20 min. I know that was not good cause i could not rest and heal from the beginning, and oh how it hurt to get out of bed everytime!!! It's just been abt a week that i can honestly say i am moving forward with my stomach not actually feeling like it is coming out of me. Don't know if i'm a slow healer or what but this has been horrid!! Like i said i have had the numb, burning feeling at the tops of my legs right from the start and it was severe. I had groin probs before from exercising but had finally walked thru them and was doing great on the treadmill for at least a yr. without groin pull probs. I have always been an avid exerciser and am so worried i may never be able to exercise again. I should have explained that both legs bother me awfully in the groin but believe this numb, burning, deep aching rubberband feeling is in the right leg at the top and goes around to the outside and down inside my leg. But, by being up and around both legs pain me so much and when i bend down and put my butt against my heels it is excruciating. Can hardly get up. I believe i will see my family dctr. soon and then call the obgyn and let her know just how bad things are and not wait to go to the phys. therapist on the 6th of Jan. I am sooo worried and ask you to pray for me. By the way, my sister is doing well! I am sooooo very thankful for this site!!! It has kept me half sane. I am doing well hormonally (not taking anything yet) and my hot flashes are bearable. God Bless you all for your responses-Vicky MERYY CHRISTMAS to all JESUS loves us!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.