GYN Appt TODAY... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

GYN Appt TODAY... GYN Appt TODAY...

Unread 12-26-2002, 09:29 AM
GYN Appt TODAY...

Hello Ladies,

I have an appt with my GYN this afternoon to discuss the return of the severe lower back pain, spasms and radiating stabbing type pain into the pelvic area and upper thighs. Whats strange is it honestly feels like my darned cystic ovaries grew back and the endo too!!! It's the same pain I had pre-surgery!!!!

Now, I have noticed a few times over the past several months (thinking back) that if I squat down or bend over I have felt a bulge inside the vagina, it's kind a strange sensation, like a bubble trying to push it's way out from the inside. It's weird...never had it before surgery.

I was curious if anyone else had experienced this sensation???

I doubt I'll get any answers today, but hope a plan to find out whats going on can be established....actually I will insist on it!!!

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2002, 09:54 AM
need more info here, but guessing

is the bulge in the front or back of your vagina? Front is cystocele, back is rectocele. There is also a condition called entrocele. I presented with a bulge in the posterior wall of the vagina, like the rectum was intruding into the space. And my symptoms included back pain that radiated into the pelvis. Gyn can evaluate you for both today so be sure to discuss this with him or her. An exam should rule out both conditions so you might just get that answer today. Might want to do a search of the site for more information.
Unread 12-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Thank You for responding..

I feel the sensation of a "bulge" - more towards the front. I suppose this would explain the bladder involvement issues I've been experiencing, but the lower back pain and spasms are the symptoms I'm most concerned with. Will discuss all with the doc today...

I wanted to thank you for responding...I'm a bit nervous and hopeful at the same time.

Thanks again,
Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2002, 04:07 PM
GYN Appt TODAY...

{{{Lori}}}
I hope that your appointment went well today. I hope the was able to provide some answers and/or at least a plan of action to get to the bottom of this.

Unread 12-26-2002, 06:21 PM
Plan of Attack...

Thanks for your reponse Kim....I'm updating this thread with the results of the appt today......

The doc was great...she is a jewel. We talked she examined me and came up with these possibilities:

INTERSISTIAL CYSTITIS, referred me to Urogolist for further work-up. (I have classic symptoms of IC and take Detrol LA) she is very suspicious that the bladder pain is caused from IC.

Asked me to obtain an MRI of the lower spine to rule out disc involvement. My hubby will refer me (he is Chiropractor).....I am very claustraphobic so not sure if I will do this:eyes:....had one on my shoulder and couldn't do it....may need a tranquilizer!! Doubt this is the problem...his collegue doesn't think so either. Only an MRI can confirm...bring on the drugs!!!!

Left over Endo.... gave me samples of Vioxx to try, if no improvement in the next week or so she also gave me samples of a different hormone (I take a strong dose of Estrogen)....the new one has some progesterone in it and a much lower dose of estrogen....she is thinking that IF there is some residual endo then the progesterone will eat it up...

ADHESIONS, possible but doubtful as I had LAVH ...BUT, she said that if the above doesn't work, then she is going to do a scope and see whats going on inside there....she is not ruling out adhesions...and said that if thats the case, there are new mesh products out there that can reduce the recurrence of adhesions if I need surgery to remove them.

Bottom line....no answer today, but a definite plan of attack.

One more thing, she said if it were adhesions, I would be pretty sore after being probed today....I'm sore right now, my gut instinct without self-diagnosing is adhesions and IC. Will go along with a positive attitude that a non-invasive plan of attack will get results.

Lori
Unread 12-26-2002, 11:23 PM
GYN Appt TODAY...

((((((Lori))))))

Sounds like you had a productive app. today with your gyn - thats great. Hopefully you will soon know what is causing your pain. I know how awful the tests can be, but you have a really positive attitude, which will help a LOT.
I was dx with IC shortly after my hyst. & I also have lower back pain - had a MRI spinal lumbar (think thats what they called it) . The MRI showed disc bulge & arthritis in my spine.
Looks like your Dr. is on the ball here - she sounds like a real keeper. Good luck with the tests & with your app. with the uro. Keep us updated on what happpens & hang in there !

's

Susan
Unread 12-27-2002, 05:42 AM
New MRI machines

I was a little tense about having an MRI as well. However, I had one done at a new clinic that has cutting edge technology. Having an MRI of the entire pelvic region did not even require my head to go into the machine and my legs were sticking out. Plus, the machine was wider than the old ones.

Another option is the 'open' MRI. Lots of people who are claustrophobic use these machines because they are open on the sides. So if you need an MRI, there are options that are much less scary than the older machines. So much information can be gained by this method, it would be a shame to skip it if it could shed some light on your situation.

Joselle
Unread 12-27-2002, 05:59 AM
GYN Appt TODAY...

Lori,
I'm glad you have a wonderful doctor. It sounds like she is really on the ball. Can we clone her?

I always find that I am very sore the day after an exam, no matter what exam it is. I went to the doc yesterday and he was pushing on my abdomen and incision and the pain is almost unbearable today and I am on the duragesic patch for pain.

As for the MRI, I too have heard of the new *open* MRI machines. Should you decide to have the test you could ask about the new machines.

I'm so happy that you have a plan of attack. Good luck You will be in my ers
Unread 12-27-2002, 06:54 AM
I was told open MRI was an inferior image

but that was one of my girlfriends telling me that and she isn't a radiologist. I don't have claustrophobia as one of my problems but I know people who do, like my mother. Take the sedation if offered.

When I had my closed MRI, I was offered a choice of rock or country music. I chose rock, and they put the headphones on my head. The station that was supposedly rock music played rap, heavy metal and punk! Not my taste and it was unbearable. Too frentic. Thankfully, the vibrations of the machine drowned out the rap music. Take your own walkman! Maybe something new agey like Yanni or a meditation tape.

If possible and if you live near a major metro center, try to get your MRI scheduled there. Rural hospital we have is working with dated equipment, looked like a dinasaur.

Like Susan, I have disc problems in my lumbar region. Degenerative disc disease and never had any real pain that lasted very long in that area until September of this year. Then I painted the kitchen one morning, not really laboring hard or lifting anything that heavy and BOOM! By the time DH got home, I could not get up off the futon without help, I could shuffle to the bathroom but then DH would have to help me sit on the toilet. (he's a keeper) Ended up in the ER a few hours later when my stash of pain killers didn't touch the pain.
Unread 12-27-2002, 07:27 AM
GYN Appt TODAY...

I agree with KIM can we clone your DR? sounds like you had a very informative visit. I think the fact that you left with a plan of action shows determination on your DR's part to help you come up with some real answers. Priceless.

I am also very claustrophobic so I opted for sedation when I had to have a neck MRI. It worked well, I can't even remember what the machine looked like, good drugs I had an open MRI prior to the closed and subsequently had to go ahead with the closed because DR didn't like the imaging. I don't think you can bring your own walkman due to the magnetic imaging but maybe you can bring your own CD/Tape. IMHO: I would take every option to rule out/in what's up.

We all are praying that you get some real answers and help healing and dealing with your pain.

Hugs to you,
DLK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register