HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Oxygen after surgery...thought you'd like to know Oxygen after surgery...thought you'd like to know

Unread 01-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Oxygen after surgery...thought you'd like to know

Some of us were put on oxygen after surgery and weren't given an explanation. While some ladies have posted that they didn't start breathing on their own after extubation,
others of us were left wondering. Come to find out, some A. guys/gals' policy is to keep their patients on oxygen to prevent upper respiratory complications (i.e. picking up germs in the hospital enviornment, getting pneumonia, etc.)
Unread 01-04-2003, 07:45 AM

Yup, I had oxygen the whole time in reovery (4 hours!) I had it during the procedure too - I had an epidural, not general.

Yummy stuff!
Unread 01-04-2003, 08:15 AM
Oxygen

My oxygen mask was on when I came round after surgery and left on 24 hours, even through the next night! It was reduced from a nose/mouth mask to the little tube that sits in your nostrils and was fine, but could be alarming if you're not prepared.
Different hospitals, different countries, different procedures!!!

Liz xxx
Unread 01-04-2003, 09:10 AM

Sometimes they have you on oxygen because the morphine depresses your oxygen level. That is what happened to me. Shortly after they removed the morphine pump, the day following surgery, they also were able to remove the oxygen.
Unread 01-04-2003, 11:58 AM

i had oxygen in the recovery room the nurse told me it was to expand the lungs & help me to breathe better after i showed the nurse i was breathing fine & taking big breaths she took it away but it was near if i needed it
Unread 01-04-2003, 01:17 PM

After my TVH I came back to my room with the oxygen tube in my nose ( I could take it out, but I left it in.) the only problem was that it stayed in over 24 hrs, my AC was on in my room....and it resulted in a 3 HOUR NOSE BLEED because my nasal passages dried out TOOOO much. I will never forget that morning for the rest of my life. So remind the nurses not to forget about it!! it seems like you're on your own after surgery a little too much due to the shortage. I didn't even know I could eat solids until 48 hrs later when my Dr asked me if "food" agreed w/me. So happens that there is a menu you are suppose to read & call for food whenever you are hungary. but since I was on bed rest, catheder etc, I couldn't very well "explore" my surroundings.
Other than that...everything else was fine
Sharon
Unread 01-04-2003, 04:32 PM

Yup - I had it too -

I had it in until they stopped the morphine push. Resp Therapist came in on a regular basis to check and had to do the breathing exercises.

I had a bottle of saline nasal spray - hid it when the nurses came in - and used it quite often thanks to the O2 and dry hospital air!

Cheryl
Unread 01-04-2003, 08:18 PM

I guess I was just lucky because I had oxygen for the first 3 days of my hospital stay. Just before I went in for surgery I caught a cold. I told my surgeon, who said – “no problem the anesthesia will dry that right up.” Unfortunately about a day after surgery my blood oxygen level was at about 80 (it should be 90 +). They rushed me for an x-ray and CT scan and found that my lungs were filled with fluid and thought that I had developed pneumonia. They woke me up every two hours to take my vital signs, and did breathing treatments for the next three days 3 times per day. (and of course coughing after a TAH is real fun too) I just went for my follow up x-ray and have another appointment with the lung doctor Monday.
Unread 01-04-2003, 10:19 PM

~~~ Hi Ladies ~~~

In most facilities it's standard proceedure to give patients oxygen after surgery, esp after general anesthesia. If your getting any type of narcotics (that could depress respirations), then they usually keep it on for that duration. Don't want anyone's O2 sat levels dropping. Makes for more paperwork. ;-)

As far a less care on a med/surg floor due to the nursing shortage. Yes, there is a shortage in the US right now. But the nurses probably didn't forget to take off the O2 resulting in a nose bleed. We have to have a doctors order to remove the O2. You as the patient have rights - you can remove it yourself (and your not showing signs of resp. distress). The nurse would then just have to chart that you use it "as needed", or that it is "currently off the patient at patients request". You also don't have to hide any nasal spray. If you feel your being too dried out, just ask to have saline nasal spray ordered, we keep it in stock and use it all the time. Humidified 02 via nasal cannula (the little thingy's in your nose) won't work unless the 02 is ordered for at least 6 leters or higher (not what us hyster pts usually need).

I hope this clarifies things for any of you who have to go to the castle ever again. Just a little FYI from an RN.

Best wishes to all on wonderful recovery's -
Melissa
Unread 01-05-2003, 12:28 AM

Gee, I ain't got a clue! I don't even remember the recovery room at all. First thing I remember is being wheeled down the hall and seeing my dh. I wonder....

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.